429 Block Hugger Headers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red73mustang

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertable
Has anyone ever done the 429 to 1971-73 engine swap using "block hugger" headers? Really hoping the answer is yes because I found a beautiful stainless set on the auction site for $175 shipped and they would facilitate the side pipe exhaust plan + not drag the ground like the Hooker long tubes.

Regards, Chet

What brand are they?

Have any pictures?

Headers are an issue with this combo. I'd be very interested to see a solution. Been looking for years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also considering a 429/460 for my '73 Mach-1. I'm looking at a set of shorties from Ford Powertrain.

FPA headers are very nicely built

I have a ceramic coated set.Dont have them in the car yet so can't speak about the fit.At least they don't go under the front suspension. They have been proven on a dyno to only be down 4 hp and 12 ft lbs from Hooker Super comps at the 600 hp level.

Well, you've made the leap... gotta mount them up and tell us how they fit.

The website is unfortunately useless, as usually is with imported stuff like these. They look cool, but I can't visualize if the collectors will clear the crossmember, inner fenders and frame.

It's a crapshoot at best.

Let us know quickly, 'cause if they fit and are of any quality, they're a heck of a deal!

Any fitment news?

No News , I haven't even pulled the 302 yet. I may be able to eyball it, but I also need frame mounts for the big block so I guess the shorty headers will have to wait.

Guys, try from here. I believe that we're eyeballing the same headers (not sure though). I made some research and the CAE Performance headers looks pretty much the same. They're made in Australia. They did suspected that these headers would not fit directly to the '71-'73 Mustang with 429/460 cid engine.

CAE agreed about the great ground clearence and promised to fabricate block huggers but would need a specimen to pay them a visit... hint hint hint, Australian fellow 429/460 cid Mustangmates! Get your car to them and help the rest of the world bb Mustangfellas to get big primaries with good gc. ::thumb::

I dealed with Con Soldatos of CAE Performance.

CAE Performance Products

7 Main Rd Castlemaine Vic

PO Box 686 Castlemaine 3450

www.caenterprises.com.au

Ph (03) 54721442

Fax (03) 54724111

www.caenterprises.com.au

--------------

edit: the link:

http://www.caenterprises.com.au/hs_dbase/ch_more.php?details=Li9jaF9oZWFkZXJzX2RldGFpbHMuY3N2fENILTUzfEZPUkQgNDI5LTQ2MCBCSUcgQkxPQ0sgMicnIFBSSU0ufCQ2NjB8aHR0cC0vL3d3dy5jYWVudGVycHJpc2VzLmNvbS5hdS9pbWFnZXMvaGVhZGVycy9jaDUzLmpwZw==

Back