429 headers that dont hang too low?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RWR

Reaction score
My Car
71 convertable
Grabber blue with black Mach 1 stripes.
532ci engine
C6 transmission 9 inch rear end.
Runs on pump gas motor makes 625hp,650 lb.ft. torque at the crank
Does anyone know of a header that doesn't hang so damn low? I am running Crites headers currently but they're too low. Hooker headers I believe are about the same. I'm thinking a shorty style would be a good solution but I'm unable to find anything. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

Does anyone know of a header that doesn't hang so damn low? I am running Crites headers currently but they're too low. Hooker headers I believe are about the same. I'm thinking a shorty style would be a good solution but I'm unable to find anything. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Rick
Ford Powertrain Applications (FPA) makes a mid-length header that works well.

I tried Headmen and had the same problem so I'm back (and have been for a long time) to the original Ford cast manifolds, besides testing in the last couple of years have shown little or no performance improvement with headers vs. cast manifolds. That's my 2 cents worth. Good luck finding headers that don't hang so low.

Fpa are great for the groundclearence as Tommy states. If I would be again in the situation that I haven't got headers I would go with custom headers. That's app. 15 hundred but worth of spending and you'll get all the goodies. If you're having good fabricator you're going to get good ground clearance, none so ever pipes under the frame&lower control arms and merged collectors.

I just put Doug Thorley long tube headers on my 72 Q code..great fit and great clearance

I just put Doug Thorley long tube headers on my 72 Q code..great fit and great clearance
With 429/460 engine? If yes, then with what framemounts & enginemounts? Sounds too good to be true!

With 429/460 engine? If yes, then with what framemounts & enginemounts? Sounds too good to be true!
My bad! Obviously I have a 351c. But I do believe he makes them for a 429

But I do believe he makes them for a 429
Nope.

If you drive an Olds powered front wheel drive motorhome or early Jeep Wagoneer, sure, they have 'em.

Not for the rare, elusive big block '72-73 Mustang, though :(

Has anyone purchased a set of FPA's recently for 429's? I did read a time or two in the past that they still needed a little whackin' on the left side for clearance (thinking it was the steering box).

Hopefully this was false info.

I for one refuse to whack on a new set of headers for clearance.

My street big block will remain installed on it's stand till I find a proper set, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back