429 timing settings. Info and help please.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1, M code, 4 speed.
Just want to keep this very short. I was asked by a friend who owns a J code Mach 1, if I could time the ignition for him. Problem is, I know practically nothing about 429's. The motor dose run, but is not optimal. I expect I'll need to play with the carb as well. If I apply the basic from my mega experience with 351 C's, would I be in the ball park? I do have a spare distributor that I may be able to use if necessary, with a 10L (20 deg.) slot already modified. Suggestions please?

He also has a Boss 351 and it too needs a timing tune up. That motor is not stock, roller cam etc. although it is the original motor to the car. Until I see it, I don't know if it is a dual point dizzy or not. Could be a pita for sure, but at least now, I know Pertronix have a P III for dual point ignitions!!

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Setting the base timing on a 429 is no different than any other engine. Setting the dwell on dual points is a different story, the procedure is outlined in the shop manual.

Setting the base timing on a 429 is no different than any other engine. Setting the dwell on dual points is a different story, the procedure is outlined in the shop manual.
 The shop manual! Why didn't I think of that. 

However, as we know, some of numbers given in manuals were based on the emissions requirements and not necessarily for performance. So a good place to start for sure. 

As for the dual points, I'll have to figure that out as I go I guess if indeed the Boss has a dual point distributor still in it.

Thanks,

Geoff.

+1, I'd love to see the 429 and the boss...

For the 429, I know my 71 has the original autolite dual vacuum. If uncertain about these two and engine has to be started for first time (in long while or after rebuild), may be its wise to first set the timing without them active, once the car has a steady idle you could move on to reconnect if that's the case.

For the rest, as @hemikiller says, it's just like a 351c or any engine.

If you have set single points gap, dual will not be an issue.  You will need some sort of test meter to read the dwell to check it after you set the gaps.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/ignition-tech-proper-method-to-set-gap-on-a-dual-point-distributor.459917/
Bill, that's probably why he asked if I could do the timing for him as he knows I have the equipment to do it. I just have not worked on a 429. It's the best initial timing and total mechanical advance I could use some information on. We all know 351's like way more initial than the book says.

As for the Boss, I'll have to wait and see what's in it. For all I know right now, he may have stuck an HEI in it!!!

I'll check out your link, so thanks for that.

Geoff.

+1, I'd love to see the 429 and the boss...

For the 429, I know my 71 has the original autolite dual vacuum. If uncertain about these two and engine has to be started for first time (in long while or after rebuild), may be its wise to first set the timing without them active, once the car has a steady idle you could move on to reconnect if that's the case.

For the rest, as @hemikiller says, it's just like a 351c or any engine.
Thanks for your input Fabrice.

I think I really need to go see the cars again, been a while, so I know exactly what distributors are in them. My friend is great with body work, but not so much when it come to mechanicals. I'm no expert either, but I have learned so much from being a member and figuring out my own 351C 4V.

The Boss I'm not so much worried about, but as I said before, it's the sweet spot on the 429 I'd like a heads up on.

Geoff.

PS Yes, I'll take some pics when I see the cars.

Hi Stanglover

I have my 429 set at 14 initial and 32 all up.

Starts easily and runs sweet as with these settings.

Shane

Hi Stanglover

I have my 429 set at 14 initial and 32 all up.

Starts easily and runs sweet as with these settings.

Shane
Thanks Shane, That's what I was looking for.

So from that, I'll need pretty much the same as my 351C 4V. I do have a new distributor set up to give close to those numbers.

Geoff.

Hi Geoff

Yeah same as the cleveland.The info I got from the 460 forum was 12 to 14 was the consensus for initial and a max of 36 all up.

I'm running the MSD ready to run and locked the all up at 32 because of differing fuel quality over here. Didnt want to risk detonation especially when it can be hard to hear on the 385's.

Shane

Hi Geoff

Yeah same as the cleveland.The info I got from the 460 forum was 12 to 14 was the consensus for initial and a max of 36 all up.

I'm running the MSD ready to run and locked the all up at 32 because of differing fuel quality over here. Didnt want to risk detonation especially when it can be hard to hear on the 385's.

Shane
 Thanks mate, awesome.

Once I know for sure what I'm dealing with, I'll repost with results.

Reading my Ford manual, those engines had an initial timing of only 4 degrees for the 429 and 10* for the 460. Why the big difference? the 460 was the same thing pretty much, only .260" longer stroke.

Oh well, it is what it is.

Thanks again,

Geoff.

Back