429scj???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ken, looks like a well optioned car. Noticed it had the convenience group and Deluxe Seat Belt/warning light options. Those would include the two ultra rare "Park" and "Belt" lamps we had discussed in an earlier post.

But with factory AC and the absence of a 3:91 or 4:11 rear gear the Super Cobra Jet 429 goes out the window. Maybe he is just not familiar with Ford products. After all a lot of people still believe all 71-73 Mustangs were Mach1's, all had Boss 302's, or Boss351's, or all were Big Block's (I wish). Hopefully just an oversight on his part.

Ken, looks like a well optioned car. Noticed it had the convenience group and Deluxe Seat Belt/warning light options. Those would include the two ultra rare "Park" and "Belt" lamps we had discussed in an earlier post.

But with factory AC and the absence of a 3:91 or 4:11 rear gear the Super Cobra Jet 429 goes out the window. Maybe he is just not familiar with Ford products. After all a lot of people still believe all 71-73 Mustangs were Mach1's, all had Boss 302's, or Boss351's, or all were Big Block's (I wish). Hopefully just an oversight on his part.
\he has not responded back to me yet, I just gave him a heads up as it was bid upto $20k last I looked. I hope the would be buyers know what they are bidding on/getting. I agree, nicely optioned, but that rusted hole in the rear tail light/panel area is an oddity... Not something you usually see as rusted through before many other areas... I would want to see this one in person before putting down any of my wife's hard earned $$$$....

This is a strange car. It's definitely not an SCJ and the documentation that the owner provides backs that up so why advertise it as something it obviously isn't?

Can anyone explain the rust on the upper drivers side quarter panel? I've never seen rust in this location before and can't figure out how it could happened.

Steve Sooo my 72 302 2V convertible is not a BOSS 302

The air cleaner lid says so :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Sooo my 72 302 2V convertible is not a BOSS 302

The air cleaner lid says so :D
Put the new Ford Racing "Boss 302" finned valve covers and it will be. No one will know the difference.:p Chuck

Don, if the air cleaner lid says it's a Boss 302 then it must be! :whistling: But I also would do as Chuck suggested and get the new FRP Boss 302 valve covers to go along with it. That's really all it takes to convince the "Experts" at the car shows.

To use one of Eric's phrases, I've seen a lot of piles of rust in the shape of a Mustang, but I have never seen a hole in the inside top part of a quarter panel like this one has. Would sure make me look ALOT closer at this one before getting tangled up in the kind of $$ he wants!

I can't believe that it's up to $28k

Notice that he has updated the listing and asks to email him so he can explain why he believes it's an SCJ.

t6rtco.jpg

Based on what I can see and read, I don't think this is as advertised... I sent a note to the seller on the A/C and the apparent 3:25 rear end... Hopefully they will change the listing accordingly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Ford-Mustang-Mach-I-Fastback-2-Door-/112263035581?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1a2365fabd:g:jtAAAOSw2xRYcu8V&item=112263035581
Well, I am still not satisfied with the change to the original add. The seller can state "why he feels it's an scj" all he wants, the presentation and documentation states otherwise...

Last edited:
Ken, this is the unfortunate side of our hobby. Years ago with everyone on the 65-70 Mustang train, our cars could be found cheaply since there was such a small fan base. Most of the quality 65-70 Stangs are already in the collector's hands or out of the price range of most of us commoner's. So now the R, C, and J codes are the new E-Bay sweetheart.

I really hate to see anyone get tangled up in a mess such as kevken1959 is experiencing. I really hope he resolves all issues and gets his money back.

I really can't imagine what the seller we have been discussing feels. As stated earlier, SCJ 429's did NOT have factory air or 3:25 rear gears. CJ/SCJ differences were more than a couple of add on's and a sticker proclaiming such. If the block has been changed to a SCJ then it's no longer "Numbers Matching". I'd really like to feel that my M code is a Boss 351, but so far Money Pit #1 and 2 have refused to cooperate!

Will be interesting to see what his explanation for his "Feeling" is!

Exactly correct about the misrepresentation of vehicles and the anger and confusion it causes in the hobby. I don't know how it is over there, but over here now days if a car is found out to be something it's not, then the owner can sue the person he purchased it from. In quite a few cases the seller had no idea as the fraudulent activity was carried out many years ago, hence it becomes court case after court case of people chasing past owners until it's found out who committed the offence. One high profile case over here not too long ago was found not to be the sellers fault as the purchaser had got an "expert" to go over the car and claimed it to be the real deal. So now there's a court case now going on to sue the "expert" for the guys 100k+ shortfall.

A lot of these cars are "who really knows" type of cars. A guy I know who's dad or uncle or whoever worked in panel shops when these cars were new. He told us stories one night (had a few to get the conversation going) about these cars when near new were basically written off and they'd get a new complete body shell from Ford, GM or Chrysler and transfer all the good bits over to these new shells including all the I'd plates and stamp the old chassis number onto them. He said they probably did 4 or 5 XY GT HO in the first few year when they were new. He said they'd ring Ford Broadmeadows and have a new 54H body shell shipped over to them. These cars now trade around the 1/2 million dollar mark and before the GFC were trading for $800k with rumours of a couple for a million dollars.

But when guys like this blatantly lie about a car they have in the hope of finding that uninformed person to relieve him of his cash, then these guys get whatever happens to them, legally or not. As others have said what he believes and what the facts are, is two different things. Seriously A/C on a factory hot rod, it's like taking your sister to the dance, sure it could be done, but who in their right mind would. None of the factories did back then, heck even P/S on factory hot rods here in Australia (GT HO GTS 350 E49) wasn't an option for them back then. It was all about performance, not comfort for these cars. As for his "I believe I have information that it is" What's that then, your cousins mates uncles friends mothers brother in laws dog peed on the building at the time this car was built. If the facts don't add up then no matter what anyone tells you, it still is what it is and nothing more. Just more proof of buyer beware and research facts, not what somebody selling tells you.

37 bids and $30,000.00 later! Given the new awareness of the 71 C and J code cars rarity, (in spite of the of the "Clydesdale" haters) 30K looks to be the new average price for these beasts. I just feel as though the new owner got HOSED if he thought he was getting a real Super Cobra Jet! As posted earlier, a SCJ is more than a couple of add on's and a sticker. Would still like to hear why the seller "Felt" that it was a genuine SCJ. I still feel that my M code Mach1's are really Boss 351's, just waiting for it to happen. Maybe a new air cleaner decal would do it...!! :whistling:

Maybe his CJ valve train was extra noisy, and he "felt" that meant it had the SCJ solid lifters. :)

$30k average is to low in my opinion, the good ones that are all that, go for more... I don't judge prices by these on-line auction site sales, no one really knows the condition of these cars when looking at them online and are therefore hesitant to spend real money unless a bunch of people go to see the car in person and then bid what it may really be worth...

Prices are all over the place, for sure.

Maybe his CJ valve train was extra noisy, and he "felt" that meant it had the SCJ solid lifters. :)
lollerz And maybe a dealer installed Holley and intake as well.

I too would really love to hear how someone can explain what they think a car "might" be when the facts don't back it up. As for the sale price, who knows but one thing for sure is the prices for these cars are definitely on the rise. I think everyone is just so use to these cars being cheap and now the collectors are now eyeing them off and the prices are now rising. If you want one get in before they become like the earlier Boss and CJ models and become out of reach. Who would've thought 71 Mustangs would've pulled over $100k and now they have, the collectors ears have pricked up for the next worthwhile investment.

Latest posts

Back