460 Big Block Engine Height

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It works with my Grande which has a 472 (429 + 460 crank + .060). This is with the Performer RPM and an Edelbrock 750.

2z6cjuv.jpg

BT

What would the clearance height be from touching the hood to the block?

African Mustang

Looks great! What are you running on the inside? Performance?

African Mustang

Last edited by a moderator:
What would the clearance height be from touching the hood to the block?

African Mustang

Looks great! What are you running on the inside? Performance?

African Mustang
There is a @ 1 1/2" between the air cleaner and the hood.

The specifics on both my '73s is in my "garage." Here is the link to the information on the 472 that is in the 1973 Grande:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-grande

BT

Hey cobra, is that with a carb spacer? Reason is, I have a 429 with a holley 750 but looking to get a 1 inch or 1/2 inch carb spacer and run a 10" raised base air cleaner to avoid my HEI dizzy. If your dimensions are with a 1 inch carb spacer I can probably drop mine down to a 1/2 inch spacer which would clear the 2.75 inch overall air cleaner height.

This is an awesome thread. I'm sure you're answering a lot of people's questions about hood clearance.

Hey cobra, is that with a carb spacer? Reason is, I have a 429 with a holley 750 but looking to get a 1 inch or 1/2 inch carb spacer and run a 10" raised base air cleaner to avoid my HEI dizzy. If your dimensions are with a 1 inch carb spacer I can probably drop mine down to a 1/2 inch spacer which would clear the 2.75 inch overall air cleaner height.

This is an awesome thread. I'm sure you're answering a lot of people's questions about hood clearance.
No, not using a spacer.

I don't know if Tommy is using a spacer with his. I seem to recall he is also using the Performer RPM intake in his application.

BT

Yes I am running an RPM intake. A 1" spacer will fit but you must use a fairly deep drop base air cleaner. Depending on the depth of the drop and the height of the air filter it may not be possible to use a carb with a choke horn.

The motor mounts play a significant role here as well as they are not all created equal from an engine height stand point.

Will a 460 with a Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Holley 770 Carb and standard Aircleaner fit under a stock NACA hood??
No it did not fit on my 71 with std air cleaner.

I had to lower the air cleaner a little bit and use a smaller lid.

IMG_0249.JPG

Here is my 521 stroker based off a 429 block in my 73. I'm using the RPM Air Gap manifold with the Holley 4150 and K&N 3"x14" air cleaner that is around 1 1/4" drop base. I have about 1/2" clearance from the hood. I had bought a 1" TrickFlow spacer but was not able to use it.

fmqp02.jpg

Iduke what parts are you running on the inside?

African Mustang
I purchased a Scat forged rotating assembly that came with Pistons, rods, and crank, and im running a Comp Cams roller retrofit fit system with roller lifters & rockers on beehive springs and Comp push rods and timing set.

If you go to page 5 of my intro and build thread i have a almost finished parts list i used on the engine.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-intro-and-build-thread

image.jpgI'm running a stealth cj intake I welded in a drop air cleaner base to a early 70s air cleaner base, I run a top plate air cleaner from afe and wing nut rubs the hood, I have been wanting to upgrade to a victor intake but I think it will be to tall

Back