460 MPG

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith2172

Reaction score
My Car
72 Grande
Anyone with a stock 460? I know they didn't come stock, I mean just a basic build 460. What's your fuel milage? I'm hoping to hear numbers in the 16s but not holding my breath.

Found this on another site

"I have a 1978 460 in my '32 pickup. Stock pistons and heads but Performer cam, intake and 750 carb. It's snappy enough for me since the truck is basically a cruiser...but it has never seen a gas pump it didn't like. I average 12.5 mpg and that's with a 2:73 rear gear. So keep your credit card handy. "

Not too bad considering a Mack Truck averages about 5 MPG!

466 a little warmed up with a 870 carb, single plane intake, 274xe cam, tko600 trans,3.89 gears (really low for a 460) and a short 25.7 tire.

i posted a few months ago i averaged 10.57MPG driving to work everyday for a week and messing around town. i did some constant 50-60mph driving and some top n go with some hotrodding. not too bad i guess.

i did the same thing with more tuning with my dizzy/timing and the jets and just some replacement of old ignition parts. i also ripped out the MSD for my old duraspark II ignition and with alot more hotrodding and some constant 50-60mph cruises to work i got 11.5mpg.

on a constant highway drivin @70mph 2300rpms, i bet i'd get about 13mpg maybe. but i'm also ditching my single plane intake for a high rise dual plane and ditching the super lean 870 street avenger for a 800DP here very shortly. so the smaller carb and a dual plane intake, might help some and especially in the under 6000rpms powerband i got.

I have a warmed over 460 in a car that weighs about 4000lbs. The fastest thing on it is the gas gauge. If you are truly concerned with fuel mileage then fuel injection is the way to go but you would have to drive the car a lot to see any payback on your investment in a reasonable period of time. The next best option would be to run a quadrajet. To do this on a stock or standard Edelbrock Performer manifold you would have to run an adapter. If you can run an original CJ or Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold a qjet will bolt right on. However neither of those manifolds are suitable for a bone stock post 1971 460. I played with a qjet for over a year and while I never checked the mpg I know it was much more fuel efficient than the double pumper I am running now. The performance wasn't bad either but I did a lot of mods to the carb.

For me fuel efficiency is more about the way I drive than what's under the hood.

I have my 532, c6 and 4:30 gears. I need to get the adapter for my gear set because my speedo Is way off but I got 150 miles from full to empty (roughly) driving only to vollyball on thursday nights exactly 30 miles there and back. I have a stock fuel tank. keeping up with traffic on a 55mph road turning 3100rpms.

I think with a good tune a guy could get 15, most fuel injected 460 pickups average 10 with over drive in a 6000lb truck. Id say get overdrive! I'm saving for a 6 speed:)

If you're concerned about MPGs why in hell are you considering a 460????

Even a 302 has to be conservatively driven to get 16.

That is a good point, try to find a wrecked 06+? f150 with the 3 valve 5.4. Buddy if mine has one it gets 19 hwy 16 in town and makes good power (300hp I think), plus it would be cool and we of all the mustangs have the engine bay to fit it haha

I have an older F250 with a 460/Auto. I get 10 MPG Uphill, downhill, around town, freeway cruzin or even pulling a boat. Since the Mustang is lighter I would expect about 12.5. With the right combination of torque converter, intake, exhaust carb jets and timing you might get it up around 14 but at that point I don't think you would like the way it drives.

On the other hand a stock 460 would be a very stable ride with plenty enough power to be fun. But I'm a Muscle car guy. We never care about MPG only MPTank. LOL

Its getting the 460 either way, just trying to figure out if I should keep the Durango as a daily driver or not. MPG isn't the deal breaker, just would be nice to drive it to work everyday.

I have a 1992 F-350 4X4 standard cab with a 460 Fuel injected, it a 9 miles to the gallon, and the funny thing is it doesn't matter if I have my gooseneck load to 12,000 lbs or dead heading to town its 9 miles to the gallon no more no less. I don't use it much any more it just sits in the shed collecting dust, but its a power house. When it snows that's the truck I use to pull my neighbors out of the drifts, or anything else that could possiably tear my diesel 250 up. Its a gas hog, I have tried everything under the sun to try and increase it's gpm and nothing has worked. Maybe in a lighter car like a mustang it might get better mileage?

I had a 88 F250 4x4 460 C6 It got 8-9 MPG. I installed a Flow master cat back exhaust, Doug Thorley Headers K&N air filter Flex-a-Lite Electric Fan and punched out the cat. Still got 8-9 MPG. The power gain was nice. When the truck was stock and you stabbed the throttle it would just go, after installing the mods the truck would spin both 33/1250/16.5 BFG All-Terrains and excel. It wasn't till I installed the GearVendor Overdrive behind the tranfer case my MPG went up to 12 MPG. The GearVendor would take the trucks 4.10 and turn them into 3.25.

Sorry to wake the sleeping topic, but I got to comment on this one.

My '72 Mach 1 580hp 460cid engine, with 4.11 gears backed up with 28" tall rears 275/60-15 and manual TKO600 0,64 fifth gear. With these tires & gears it equals app. 2000 rpm on 60 mph. With 2000 rpm the big engine produces nice torque. I made it 14.7 MPG on highway with some hammering - most of the time 60 mph and I still felt that the carb wasn't as tuned as it could be. I know I can get better mpg but that's actually not the point with this car :)

In the city mpg is not as this good ofcourse, but on highway I can't complain.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a 88 F250 4x4 460 C6 It got 8-9 MPG. I installed a Flow master cat back exhaust, Doug Thorley Headers K&N air filter Flex-a-Lite Electric Fan and punched out the cat. Still got 8-9 MPG. The power gain was nice. When the truck was stock and you stabbed the throttle it would just go, after installing the mods the truck would spin both 33/1250/16.5 BFG All-Terrains and excel. It wasn't till I installed the GearVendor Overdrive behind the tranfer case my MPG went up to 12 MPG. The GearVendor would take the trucks 4.10 and turn them into 3.25.
I was wondering what you got for mpg with the gear vendors. I am hoping to get 13 to 14 with my mods.

-jbojo

Back