460 take a chance?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
this guy will sale it to me for $200.  I told him I wouldn't do $400 not knowing the damage the rid and piston may have caused.   He said come get it.  He is an 1 he away.  Should I take the chance or keep looking?

460 broken rod

thanks

Wade

It looks like the heads are already milled for screw in studs, if they are good high compression heads, they are worth $200. The block is another story, if it has been bored to the max it's useless, not to mention a broken rod can do a lot of damage!! I would at least look at the heads and go from there, it looks like he has one removed already. If they are DOVE heads, they are worth the $200.

I will be taking a chance on the block but I am leaning towards doing it. Are these the best OEM 460 heads I could go with? I know the 429 CJ heads are better but way out of my budget.

thanks

Wade

I will be taking a chance on the block but I am leaning towards doing it.  Are these the best OEM 460 heads I could go with?  I know the 429 CJ heads are better  but way out of my budget.

thanks

Wade
D0VE-C cylinderheads are the most sought after 429/460 heads after the 429 CJ heads. D0VE-C heads provides you a small cc combustion chamber 72cc which is small in the world of BB engines. You can get a good compression ratio with flattop pistons, no need to go heavy domed pistons. As the guys said, these heads also works good with small 429 cid engines and they can be ported & opened up to 750 hp range if so desired. 

Hopefully the heads are undamaged, I mean a broken rod can lead to piston to head contact.

I took a chance and picked it up yesterday. It doesn't appear the head was hit by the piston but I am getting them checked and hot tanked as soon as I tear the rest of it down.

The guy said the rod broke idling in the driveway but it was used for drag racing and used a lot of NOS spray on it. I know that is pretty hard on the bottom end.

I will post pics while tearing it down.

how to upload photos from

Thanks for posting the hi-res picture, those look like stock cast pistons. I wouldn't expect those to live to long on the spray...

A cracked piston always leads to a cracked block. Grab the engine and have it checked out anyway, you never know.. If the block is cracked, sell the heads and get your money back.. IMHO

A cracked piston always leads to a cracked block.  Grab the engine and have it checked out anyway, you never know..  If the block is cracked, sell the heads and get your money back.. IMHO

I agree with you.  I will be tearing it down this weekend and taking it to the machine shop next week to have the block, crank and heads all checked.  Should I be concerned with the rods other than the possible bad one?  I know I will have them resized and new cap bolts but any concern with stress fractures due to NOS?

Thanks!

Wade

Where did the broken rod/ piston fail?

I'm by no means an engine builder, but based on the mods done to the heads and the comments about nitrous being used I would assume that the rotating parts have seen a lot of abuse. Condition of the rod bearings would indicate how out of round the big ends are.

If a rod broke, I think I would sleep better at night finding another set to use, but maybe re-sizing with good rod bolts would be ok, I don't know...

All this is speculation until you 'autopsy' the remains.

-Matt

Mjlan is spot on... The remaining rods should be inspected for center line variance, crank and pin bore size.. If those two dimensions are within factory specs, go ahead and use them.. The rod bearings also tell a tale.. If any of them are scored or flattened (squashed out), then the engine was used with a heavy foot. Last but not least, find a very good reputable machine shop..

Back