4spd shifter rebuild reality

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1990 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, 306ci
1978 F150 Ranger, 545 Stroker
1973 Mexican Mach 1 ( final confirmation TBD), 351C
[url=https://ibb.co/kqFMPqf][img]https://i.ibb.co/GCjFrCL/pic1.jpg[/img][/url]
so I finally had my Hurst 4spd shifter sent out for rebuild.  I had my mechanic pull it and ship it to rebuild because I do not have a place to park a car that cannot be driven.  anyway, I knew that pretty much any rebuild shop would need 3-5 weeks for the work.  shifterdoc.com of course told my mechanic 8 days.  here we are 3 weeks later and the shifter was shipped yesterday....I understand why a rebuilder would quote an aggressive turnaround, but it sucks when it they don't actually do what they say they will do.

so I finally had my Hurst 4spd shifter sent out for rebuild.  I had my mechanic pull it and ship it to rebuild because I do not have a place to park a car that cannot be driven.  anyway, I knew that pretty much any rebuild shop would need 3-5 weeks for the work.  shifterdoc.com of course told my mechanic 8 days.  here we are 3 weeks later and the shifter was shipped yesterday....I understand why a rebuilder would quote an aggressive turnaround, but it sucks when it they don't actually do what they say they will do.
Why did you NOT send it to Scotty at Hurst Shifters Online in SC? They are the ONLY official rebuilder. They did mine in about 4 weeks though, but it was winter, so no concern. ONLY new Hurst parts were used and they sent back the removed stuff.

www.hurstshiftersonline.com

Geoff.

Are the 3 speed manuals the same as the 4 speeds as far as rebuilding goes? The yellow 71 i did finished up this summer needs the shifter rebuilt. Its very sloppy.

Are the 3 speed manuals the same as the 4 speeds as far as rebuilding goes?  The yellow 71 i did finished up this summer needs the shifter rebuilt. Its very sloppy.
Kevin, if it's a Hurst, I believe so. You could email Scott Brokaw at Hurst shifters online and confirm. The form I have shows 3 speed manuals.

Geoff.

3 speeds used the Ford shifter, the 4 speed 70-73 was the Hurst unit. Completely different mechanisms.

I'd have to dig into the MPC to see if the parts for the 65-68 kit would work for the 69-73 shifters.

3 speeds used the Ford shifter, the 4 speed 70-73 was the Hurst unit. Completely different mechanisms.

I'd have to dig into the MPC to see if the parts for the 65-68 kit would work for the 69-73 shifters.
Interesting! As my signature says, "I learn something new every day" applies here.

Do you happened to know if the 3 speed manual was used behind the 351C (2V I presume)? Thought 3 speeds were only on 302's  but again, I might learn something new again today!!

Geoff.

Interesting! As my signature says, "I learn something new every day" applies here.

Do you happened to know if the 3 speed manual was used behind the 351C (2V I presume)? Thought 3 speeds were only on 302's  but again, I might learn something new again today!!

Geoff.
If you really want to know, here's the complete '71 power team combinations. 72 & 73 similar.

Geoff.
If you really want to know, here's the complete '71 power team combinations. 72 & 73 similar.

Thanks for this info. Like I said I learned something new and that's a good thing.

the issue I ran into on my Mex Mach 1 was the linkages that fit for am American 73 Mach 1 were the wrong size for the Mex Mach 1. I don't have details, but it was basically the lengths that are different.

The 3 speed is factory setup behind 71 351c 2v.  Hopefully we can find some parts for it.
I have a complete and functional 3 speed out of a '73. Ran it in my '71 for a few and then dropped the 4 speed in. 

IMO, have the owner of the Mach save up some bucks for a 4 speed swap. It's a direct bolt in and and the car would be so much more fun to drive.

The 3 speed is factory setup behind 71 351c 2v.  Hopefully we can find some parts for it.
I have a complete and functional 3 speed out of a '73. Ran it in my '71 for a few and then dropped the 4 speed in. 

IMO, have the owner of the Mach save up some bucks for a 4 speed swap. It's a direct bolt in and and the car would be so much more fun to drive.
I believe he wants to keep it as stock as possible. Its the way his dad ordered it from the factory.

Back