• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

4V closed chamber heads

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemikiller

Staff member
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
71 XR-7 hardtop
71 Country Squire
65 hardtop
Looking to buy a good, ready to bolt on set of 4V closed chamber heads. Prefer 1970 D0AE castings, but will consider D1AE-GA as well. Screw in studs a bonus, but not a deal breaker as I can machine them myself. 

I do need them to be reasonably fresh with good guides, good single piece valves, not the original Ford may-pops. I have an engine I'm putting together with spare parts and all my 4V heads need the works and every shop I've talked to is full up to July with guys pre-spending their stimulus checks. 

Within a couple hours drive of central CT or I will need to have them shipped. Fastenal is pretty cheap from what I hear. 

Be willing to do a trade plus cash if you want to keep a set of 4V heads in inventory. 

Shoot me a PM with info if you have something.

Looking to buy a good, ready to bolt on set of 4V closed chamber heads. Prefer 1970 D0AE castings, but will consider D1AE-GA as well. Screw in studs a bonus, but not a deal breaker as I can machine them myself.

I do need them to be reasonably fresh with good guides, good single piece valves, not the original Ford may-pops. I have an engine I'm putting together with spare parts and all my 4V heads need the works and every shop I've talked to is full up to July with guys pre-spending their stimulus checks.

Within a couple hours drive of central CT or I will need to have them shipped. Fastenal is pretty cheap from what I hear.

Be willing to do a trade plus cash if you want to keep a set of 4V heads in inventory.

Shoot me a PM with info if you have something.
did you find your heads? speedmaster makes new stock D1AE heads from what I can see on their website

Attachments

• PCE281.1103.jpg
    PCE281.1103.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 1
  • PCE281.1103_A.jpg
    PCE281.1103_A.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 1
  • PCE281.1103_B.jpg
    PCE281.1103_B.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 1
  • PCE281.1103_C.jpg
    PCE281.1103_C.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 1
Looking at the pics on speedmaster web site those heads look pretty good. I called the tech line but got a young guy that had no clue about cleveland heads. But the casting says D1AE GA. I asked for better pics of real heads. I am hoping they are reproducing boss heads

D1AE-GA machined for screw in studs would be Boss 351 heads.

IMO, you're better off rebuilding a set of originals than trusting Speedmaster parts.

I had a set of GA heads with screw in studs, but I'm pretty sure they had been machined at a later date, not originals. I sold those some time ago, but may have a chance to buy them back.

Are there problems with speedmasters? I was actually looking at their Australian style heads when I saw those. I did notice the one thing missing from the casting is the ford logo but has the cf and everything else

Speedmaster aka ProComp Electronics aka AT Racing World had a long history of peddling low quality knock offs of other company's products. Sometimes, they don't even bother to remove the other companies name or logo, like the Parker Funnelweb intakes, which they pretty much stole from Terry Parker and then produced some really shabby knockoffs. Since I work in the performance aftermarket, I personally wouldn't use their parts if they were free.

Thanks for the information thats good to know

Hey Dennis,
I'm running a set of ProMaxx Project X on my 57 Nomad's 383 and they run really well. I was thinking of getting a set of their 2V Cleveland heads due to that experience. Have you heard anything about those heads?

Hey Dennis,
I'm running a set of ProMaxx Project X on my 57 Nomad's 383 and they run really well. I was thinking of getting a set of their 2V Cleveland heads due to that experience. Have you heard anything about those heads?

Haven't seen a mention of anyone running them yet. From the video that Chuck posted a link to, it looks like they are the same as CHI castings. They seem to have a more modern, fast burn chamber than the Trick Flows. Website is pretty sparse for information, and the heads are pricey for a Chinese casting.

https://7173mustangs.com/threads/promaxx-heads.41428/
https://promaxxperformance.com/product/maxx-351-2v-cleveland-sold-in-pairs/
The Trick Flows are USA made, owned by Summit, so you'll get good customer service. For an upgrade, I'd lean towards the 195 port with 62cc chamber. It'll bump your compression up quite a it from the factory built 8.5:1 to around 9.75:1.

https://www.summitracing.com/search...ne-size/5-8l-351/engine-family/ford-cleveland
If I were to buy either of these heads, I'd get the bare castings and have a local machine shop inspect and assemble them.

Hey hemikiller. Thanks again for the heads up. I googled speedmasters reviews and spent a little time looking at the complaints on the BBB. Not a very good company. I was looking at the trick flow heads as well. I have a set of speedpro flat top pistons I had installed when the engine was reworked. Is that head you were talking about what I should be thinking about?

Attachments

• 351C PARTS1.jpg
    351C PARTS1.jpg
    528.2 KB · Views: 0
Back