4V Head Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked all 4 chambers on each head and saw little difference in cc between the chambers. The difference is between head #1 & #2. The chart on Mustang-tech shows DOEA-N having 62.8cc, D1AE-GE has 2 listings, I think I have the 64cc.
I may have done the volume check incorrectly by installing a sparkplug in the head but it was a consistent test.
Now why the difference between the 2 heads wasn't closer to 1.2 I do not know.
Btw I had no intention of installing the heads until they are machined to make them right.
Do you know any of the history on these heads? If bought as a pair, it may be that someone already evened them up. I suggest you compare the "thumbprint" on each and note whether or not the D1AE head has a shallower print. Also, when I've cc'd heads, I install a spark plug...easiest way I knew to seal up the hole and do it in a consistent manner.

1683299029688.png

Thank you Basstrix for your response, Good insight! I looked at the thumbprint and they look untouched to this rookies eye.

I've tried to pry out all the history I can from who I purchased the "odd couple" but it seems like a dead end. He said he got them from his uncle years ago and thinks they were off a mustang but said the uncle can't remember... "too many years and cars ago". I informed him about the casting numbers being different, he had no knowledge.
Right now I'm leaning towards going with the 2V's and keeping the 4's for another car.
Thanks for the help!
Jerry

If it were me I'd make a matching pair somehow, I wouldn't trust somebody to mess with the chambers unless they really knew what they were doing, and to have that done in my area is going to cost mucho $$ and take a while.

I guess it depends on your goals for your build- if you are going to have the pedestals cut down, replace valves (don't use OE intake valves!), valve job, etc. then maybe chamber massaging of when head doesn't add that much to the bill....

Back