$5 p/gal Gas by Memorial Day!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, let's confuse the issue with fact here. In 1973 the price of gas around here was 38 cents/gal. After the "embargo" it jumped to 55 cents.. If you use the consumer price index the price of gas today should be about $2.78/gal. Which is were it was about two months ago.

What we should really be arguing is the price of our cars. In 1973 my 'stang retailed for about $3,200. Using the same CPI calculator I should be able to buy a really cool 'stang for $15,800...BRAND NEW. However, the 2011 MSRP for a v-8 'stang is $37,875.

Okay, let's put it another way. I use about 1,000 gallons of gas per year. A 50cent jump in gas costs me about $500 extra. That's about the price of a large coke at McDonalds each day. So I've cut back on my fast food and it more than pays for the gas and I feel better also.

If I really wanted to save gas, I'd be driving a Fiesta with 40 mpg instead of a v-8 wixom car with 15 mpg.

Gas is gas.

If you had to pay for the natural gas to your house everyday instead of once a month you'd friek out also. But you don't see that meter on your house every day. But you do see that gas pump everyday.

Bottom line, I drive V-8s because of the power that I need to get out of a situation. We also have an expedition so that in the event of an incident, we tend to be the bigger vehicle. Bigger usually wins.

Talk to some of our European friends and you'll see that they've been dealing with gas at about $7.25/gal in France to almost $8/gal in the Netherlands.

True MD, however the fuel prices in Europe are mostly tax. The biggest problem is speculation and profit taking from "investors".

We have the largest oil reserves in the world in the western Dakotas. Estimates of the reserves there are greater than all of the middle east combined. We need to quit buying our oil from people who hate us. We are spending 55,000,000.00 dollars a day on foreign oil, that is ridiculous.

True MD, however the fuel prices in Europe are mostly tax. The biggest problem is speculation and profit taking from "investors".

We have the largest oil reserves in the world in the western Dakotas. Estimates of the reserves there are greater than all of the middle east combined. We need to quit buying our oil from people who hate us. We are spending 55,000,000.00 dollars a day on foreign oil, that is ridiculous.
Preach it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree that most of the fuel price in Europe in tax that's why their roads are so good and so is their mass transit. Our politicians are too scared to raise taxes on fuel even if it means more jobs and better roads.

The lower gas prices, along with the domestic production, will do more for the economy than any 'cash for clunkers' type government deal could do. There are lots of people making good money working the fields and the economy's of the surrounding towns see the benefits.

The rest of us will have more cash in our pocket to spend on something else. And many local businesses have fuel as a major cost to their operation.

Me, my wife, and daughter all put 60+ miles a day on each of our vehicles (3) just going to work only. Gas is a significant part of our costs of just living. We've been paying 2.60 for a few weeks and its made a big difference already.
$2.60! I was elated to see it at $3.09 in town yesterday! I don't know what I will do if it drops under $3 in my area!! :D

Saw this and it just keeps going down here. I went through S.C. last week and saw $1.99 / gallon not a discount thing. I had just filled up and pain $2.05 and was happy. The main pipeline stops in Spartanburg S.C. and then it is by truck so price goes up on distance it has to go.

David

Back