521 Stroker Issues

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO

I ran a MSD box on my race car which made no noticeable difference

in the way the car performed including 1/4 mi ET/MPH and sold it off.

You cant beat electronic ignition! For the 351c you can run a

chevy type HEI (with a non-stock air cleaner).

I got a new HEI unit off ebay for $40 and love it! Plug N Play 1 Wire

Well if your getting fuel in the carb after it stalls then I would lean towards electrical..Looking at the ground wire I would put a new connector on & solder it..Bad ground on the 6al can cause lots of issues...Anything ignition should have a soldered on connecter not a crimp..crimp ons can cause lots of intermittent problems..Start there & check all your crimp on connectors..I usually solder them then heat shrink.

Thanks guys. This afternoon we have three tests we are going to run, since i have two 8580 Distributors, we are going to swap the internals to the one in the car after checking resistance to the MSD specs as well as on the box. We have a donor MSD box that we are going to try, and if all that don't work im just going to buy a Dura spark dizzy and ditch the MSD box altogether.

Well if your getting fuel in the carb after it stalls then I would lean towards electrical..Looking at the ground wire I would put a new connector on & solder it..Bad ground on the 6al can cause lots of issues...Anything ignition should have a soldered on connecter not a crimp..crimp ons can cause lots of intermittent problems..Start there & check all your crimp on connectors..I usually solder them then heat shrink.
+1

I had issues with a 6AL and 6A control box with the 8580 dizzy. Finally got the issues resolved by redoing all the connections and making sure I had good grounds.

Ditch the box and blaster coil, had IDENTICAL problem. Switched to stand alone dist. with mallory coil and fixed it...may fix yours too? Went to EFI shortly after since I was never really happy with the carb.

Back