71, 302, spring special replica "yellow pony" blog

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Spring Sports Coupe - Replica

[url=https://ibb.co/kyNcX0][img]https://preview.ibb.co/mWxBs0/2018-11-11-10-37-19.jpg[/img][/url]
Hi all,

I am relatively new here.

I have 302 hardtop 71 rebuilt into Spring Special replica.

I am putting the car on a winter pause until spring due to potentially cold winter in Germany.

So far I have replaced all body parts but roof. Replaced: gearbox, brake cylinder, all suspension, all air intake and all fuel delivery system, painted it brave yellow color. Still running original engine and rear end.

Need your advice on next year upgrades:

• 15 inch wheels. Magnum aluminium or chrome 7 and 8(rear) inch.
  • Cooper or BfGoodrich tires 225 on front and 255 on back. Any fitting issues?
  • Want to make a longer gear, still dont know how, I have new C4 without OD and assumingly 8inch 3:1 rear end.
  • LSD modification for rear end, sometimes hard to get it going on wet.
  • Led dash http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=922/category_id=434/mode=prod/prd922.htm any good feedback? I am missing tach in my dash, having hard times to decide what are my rpm on 60 mph,
  • I ordered brake cylinder with vacuum power + plan to get front disk brakes.
  • Repair A/C.
  • Add stripes like Eleanor in 74 gone in 60 seconds.
  • Nasa hood paint still a question.
That should be it for next year.

Engine gives a very weird vibration, I try to explain. Around 2.5k rpm even standing. Not every engine rotation gives vibration, more like 3 out of 10. So drivetrain should be out of question.

Maybe gearbox connection was wrong?

Any insights or advices are welcome.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I remembered a thread on the Tech Forums - Asthetics,Interior and Exterior; the thread is Tire size on Page 53, 3rd from the bottom of the page.  They discuss the various tire sizes and fitment.   Link is below.   

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-tire-size--12443?highlight=8%22+Rims

This looks like it would provide some of the answers you are looking for.

Hey petrolheads!

Just wanted to say that all of you who live in a winterless geographies, that you are a lucky M*** ****s. Especially sunny Florida with its beaches.

So jealous you can enjoy 15 months a year driving your ponies (yea, winter months count for 2) .

I decided to leave mine on a winter storage already Tuesday this week, after fuel system cleaned and tank replaced it drives just great...

It was already snowing here in Central Europe yesterday, it does not snow heavily here, but i treat this as a sign, winter is coming.

I know i will be checking forecast every weekend to see if there is a sunny dry day. Yes, this is my first American classic car and I am still unhealthily excited about it.

Maybe anyone can print my photo, put it on a passenger seat and take me for a few spins? Fuel is on me lol   :D

One thing that i still cant solve is the design of the body, maybe you can help me here, gents.

I have plain yellow now, i think standard Mach 1 (71, 72) stripes on coupe look a bit weird, no?

What i am thinking about is common bottom black painting + usual nasa hood black print. So just skipping these side stripes which go all the way from the front lip to the back of the car. But I have never seen a car painted like this. To be fair I saw 71 Mach 1 only once in my life about 7 years ago on retro autoshow in Moskow, so i am pretty much can only google these images and build mine from them.

What do you think, have you ever saw one painted like that?

Any other interesting hints you guys saw or plan to try regarding exterior design?

And a pic of a sad pony on -4 floor. I start to hate these tiny 14 inch wheels  :chin:

You might consider the '73 style Mach stripes to break up all of that color, or some variation of it.
I would lie if i say this didn't cross my mind.

I afraid this will be a very (cant find english word) strange setup. Frond from Mach1 71`, back from coupe, stripes from Mach1 73.

Don't you this it would look stupid?

Thanks a lot for your help and links, Don. I got your point, but i feel a see this a bit differently.

The closest to ideal, in my opinion, is Eleanor. But something is just not right with "her" hood.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/45/Original_1973_Ford_Mustang_Mach_1_Eleanor.jpg

P.S. I already bought a set of Mach1 striping and materials for hood painting, now i just hesitate if i should go for all of the stripes :)

I have a '71 sportsroof, white with the black rockers. There's just too much solid color on the side, looks like a blank canvas that needs something. I've played around with various ideas, and seem to always come back to something along the lines of the Mach stripes. I would like to follow the body lines, but that would look like a Challenger.

I've thought about faded stripes, like the Torino's, or maybe just an outline of either type of Mach stripes.

You might not be a video games fan, but i was surprised to find mach1 in GT sport driving sim. (they have like 170 cars only)

- not my video.At least i can drive mustang while mine is waiting for sunny Spring days.

Here is mine in Forza Horizon 4

35cb30c2-60b7-4ad1-a40f-bb0a5e7252e0

Here is mine in Forza Horizon 4
Very nice!

I was watching world championship on Grand Tourismo Sport yesterday.

Holy crap, this is a real tournament! Crazy how far cybersports went.

They literally were in Monaco (monte carlo) and Hamilton even came to say hi and motivate guys, amazing.

Enjoyed it more than F1.

Hi all,

Might need few US-based advices here please.

I am planning on getting wheels and brakes for next season, and now is a good time to decide and order.

Wheels: magnum 500 (chrome or alum - still to decide). two 15/7 and two 15/8.

Tires: BF Radial T/A 255/60 and 225/60.

I have already received braking cylinder with power brakes. Now looking for front conversion kit, any good practices here?

And where do you think i should order everything from? Assuming I will have US address for this.

Thanks and happy holidays!

Hi all,

Bumping up my thread, still need some advice.

Might need few US-based advices here please.

I am planning on getting wheels and brakes for next season, and now is a good time to decide and order.

Wheels: magnum 500 (chrome or alum - still to decide). two 15/7 and two 15/8.

Tires: BF Radial T/A 255/60 and 225/60.

I have already received braking cylinder with power brakes. Now looking for front conversion kit, any good practices here?

And where do you think i should order everything from? Assuming I will have US address for this.

ALSO, very important.

Any good ideas to make my transmission longer not for all the money in the world.

Current setup: 302 Windsor + C4 with no OD + 3:1 rear end.

I am thinking either to get bigger wheels or buy OD or try to find some custom rear end 1:2.5. Any ideas?

At 60mph i have pretty bad RPM (no tach so i don't know how much). Anyone tried this dash?

https://www.amazon.com/Dakota-Digital-Mustang-Analog-VHX-71F-MUS-K-W/dp/B01L48J30E

Gear vendor overdrive unit if you want to keep the C4 or swap out the C4 with an AOD out of a fox body mustang. It is a pretty straight forward swap.

Back