'71 429cj ram air vert, back in the day...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Pastel Blue

So, my current restoration project did not come with much documentation, sadly. It did come with this original Poloroid picture taken in the mid to late 70's, maybe very early 80's. A few interesting historical facts based on how the car looked backed then:

1. Note the standard hub caps. These have been verified as an original option to the car based on the info contained in the Marti Report and the Factory Invoice, a $21 option. When I got the car, it had the further upgraded "sport hub caps" on it. I subsequently purchased an extremely nice NOS set... Well, to keep the car original for shows, I also have now purchased an NOS set of the recently confirmed "standard hub caps".

2. Notice something different about the front buckets? Yes, they are actually '74/5 ish... Mustang 2 front buckets! The car actually came out of the barn in the Spring of 2015 with these seats still installed... I guess newer seats were in back in the '70's...

Mud flaps? Why not in AZ, with the amount of dirt and rocks kicked up, kinda makes sense...

As the car spent most of its time in the Tucson AZ area, maybe someone in this area recognizes where this picrure was taken? If so please post... Cheers

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow... 429 SCJ convertible? That has got to be the rarest of the rare. And I like the ol' school photo too.

So, my current restoration project did not come with much documentation, sadly. It did come with this original Poloroid picture taken in the mid to late 70's, maybe very early 80's. A few interesting historical facts based on how the car looked backed then:

1. Note the standard hub caps. These have been verified as an original option to the car based on the info contained in the Marti Report and the Factory Invoice, a $21 option. When I got the car, it had the further upgraded "sport hub caps" on it. I subsequently purchased an extremely nice NOS set... Well, to keep the car original for shows, I also have now purchased an NOS set of the recently confirmed "standard hub caps".

2. Notice something different about the front buckets? Yes, they are actually '74/5 ish... Mustang 2 front buckets! The car actually came out of the barn in the Spring of 2015 with these seats still installed... I guess newer seats were in back in the '70's...

Mud flaps? Why not in AZ, with the amount of dirt and rocks kicked up, kinda makes sense...

As the car spent most of its time in the Tucson AZ area, maybe someone in this area recognizes where this picrure was taken? If so please post... Cheers

Wow... 429 SCJ convertible? That has got to be the rarest of the rare. And I like the ol' school photo too.

As the car spent most of its time in the Tucson AZ area, maybe someone in this area recognizes where this picture was taken? If so please post... Cheers
Not the SCJ, cj version... Still pretty rare 1 of 23 with the C-6 and 1 of 4 in Pastel Blue.

Last edited:
Nice pic.

PastelBlue 429 CJ conv.JPG

You might consider hiring a graphics/picture restoration service to correct the imperfections in that pic. They can make it look really nice and almost frame-worthy.

Years ago I heavily researched the history of my 1971 Boss 351. After purchasing the original invoice from Lois Eminger I knew it had always been an Oklahoma car and was sold new in Cordell, Oklahoma. I contacted family who owned the old dealership. The daughter of that dealer sent me a few pics of my Boss 351 brand new on the dealer's lot back about March of 1971. As you'll see the pics were badly damaged from years of storage in an Western Oklahoma home's attic. Even with the damage I was elated to receive them from the daughter of the dealer (Don Cannon). She also sent some other dealer memorabilia.

View attachment Don Cannon orig a.jpg

This one still needs work - too much blue tint. And the sky should not be THAT blue - especially in March in Oklahoma. Probably cold and overcast!

Don Cannon Ford redo1ar.jpg

This one is difficult and very much a work-in-progress (Thanks Kurt!)

Don Cannon Boss photoshop rough2_resiz.jpg

Not trying to steal your thread :cool: so here is a link to this story listed about half-way down the page on another thread...

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-sound-off-if-you-have-a-boss-351-or-72-r-code

Ray

No worries Ray, a Boss is always welcome in my thread... Here is another (the only other photo) I have of the car from back in the day...

I will look at having these two photos "restored" ( as if I haven't got enough to restore on this car :shootself: at some point in time in the future.

A couple comments on this photo:

You can really see the non hi-back bucket seats in this image.

The only thing that would give this car away, is the white "429 RAM AIR" stencil on the hood...

There is a small indentation in the driver door at the bottom (immediately below the door handle). This was still present on the car when I got it last summer and along with the improper seats, would mean this car was last painted way, way back and if you saw the paint when I got the car you would concur that it had been on the car for easily 30-35+ years... I don't believe this car was ever repainted again after this picture was taken and the car here, looks to be in pretty good shape, based on the condition of the convertible top, which was in very poor shape when I got her... Who knows...

image.jpeg

Last edited:
WOW

Too bad the number on the house isn't more visible. Otherwise with just a little more info I might be able to take you there using Google Maps street view!

Thanks again for posting!!!!!!!!

Ray

Back