71/72 engine mounts bracket vs 73

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW

My 73 convertible was born with the I6. It now has a 302 installed by my father in law. He has no recollection of EVER replacing a motor mount in any of his cars ever.

Are they ? Nice to know, I've never had one in my possession.

So:

1. Dealing with 73 Mustang, non convertible.

2. Terms: Perch is mounted to the chassis.

Mount is on the motor.

You mention a bracket, but I think you mean perch.

Pin- This is the very special, hard, long bolt that runs from front to back and joins the perch to the mount. (Any sources for this piece?)

3. Difference between OEM mount and REPO mount is the OEM is one piece. Repo is 2 pieces bolted together. (Anyone got a welder?)

4. 1972 REPO mount "pin" holes do not line up with1973 OEM perch holes.

5. 1972 Repo Motor Mount and Perch can be replace 1973 Motor Mount and Perch. The engine will sit slightly lower, as the perch is shorter.

Could probably shim the engine up. You already have 4 bolts holding the mount together. What would be wrong with a few shims? Although you would need longer bolts...good luck with that.

Did I get this right?
A perch belongs in a frying pan with garlic and butter.

YellowPerch_zpsc2eb595d.jpg

:p

FWIW

My 73 convertible was born with the I6. It now has a 302 installed by my father in law. He has no recollection of EVER replacing a motor mount in any of his cars ever.

Are they ? Nice to know, I've never had one in my possession.
Jordan, he is mistaken - they are not even close

V8 302 and 351 C motor mount holes are 90 degrees off of I-6 holes

Last edited by a moderator:
It wasnt really a serious suggestion, the cost and effort of mounting plates is very high. Look at the pics, you cant use accessory mounts or the fan. and the car would vibrate so much you'd never want to drive it. And as mentioned above additional work has to be done to avoid stressing other parts.

I looked for replacement Mach 1 mounts and they are unavailable. You can take the 71-72 frame mounts and replace the motor mounts with the cheap (and available ) 71-72 motor mounts.
Hi,

I'm removing a 250 I6 from my '73 Fastback and installing a '69 rebuilt, 302. I have to replace both the frame mounts and the motor mounts, anyway. The 71-72 will work? I don't want to lay out the extra cash to get the scarce '73 mounts if I don't need to and obviously I don't care about keeping the mounts original as long as they fit and the engine is sitting at the right height.

Well this is interesting! I have recently ripped my motor mounts and was looking at the poly for strength.

Am I observing opposing opinions on these for a "street car"? My car is a street car but with a great deal of attitude. So am I to put around at 1800 rpms or put in my third set of motor mounts and not use the polys?

I suppose I was under analyzing a "no brainer" part..... once again i was about to pull the trigger on said no brainer part by trusting the vendor.

I think I will be the first to post putting a 72 mount #2257 on a 73 coupe

after researching all threads on this site.

Job done but a PITA!

My drivers side mount spit out one of the sandwiched rubbers out after a full

throttle test drive and it was metal to metal vibration city.

I dont have the coin to get my old 73 mounts redone @ $300+ so I ordered

72 #2257 mounts from Rock @ $8 ea and I come from the make them work

school.

Measuring 73 vs 72 mounts the differences are:

72 mount is 3/8in shorter and needs to come forward the 1/2in to land on the

perch sp* on the frame.

Sorry I dont have photos as I was just too greasy to get the camera out.

I had to "slot" the mounts upper block bolt holes to get the 1/2in forward

I needed with a grinder. I used longer 7/16 bolts with a 1/2in nut as a spacer

with 7/16 flat washers to sandwich the slot I cut in the mount to get the extra

height and get it to land forward 1/2in.

If you can find the 71-2 perches then use the 72 mounts on a 73 that

would be the way to go IMO.

Regards Paul

I'm happy to be more confused tonight, as I need to replace the motor mounts on the 73 Mach 1 Q code :(

All this makes me happy that my 73 had new mounts put in 1,500 miles ago back in 2005 when I guess you could still get them. Only reason I know they were done is I have the shop ticket in all my paperwork that came with the car.

Back