• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

71-72 mach 1 grill center support bracket

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang Mach 1
302-2v
C4

Im converting my grill to the mach 1 style and im having no luck finding the bracket. Does anyone have one they would part with?

jowens1126, your illustration  shows the support bracket used on Mach 1's built before 6/14/71 with two vertical supports. If that is the one you are using you will need two "8182" brackets. They fasten to each vertical support and the grill fastens to the front of the 8182 bracket. The after 6/14/71 set up used a single vertical support so only one 8182 bracket would be needed. I would suggest contacting Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply or Mike @ Motor City Mustang to see if they might have some nice used ones. If not maybe some forum members such as rackerm may have some in their parts inventory.

Good luck with your grill project!

8182 (2).JPG

Thanks. I'm not particular, either 1 or 2 will work as long as it will bolt up to my existing latch.

On the pre 6/14/71 Mustang, the 16707 (Hood Latch Support) and  16747 ( Latch Support Brace)  were separate pieces. The after 6/14/71 version used a one piece latch support that replaced the discontinued separate support and brace and carried a 72 part number. The hood latch stayed the same for 71-72 so your existing latch will work on either version.

Does anyone have a drawing of the single 72 style bracket/latch assembly? At least then I would know what im looking for.

jowens1126, I'm out of state presently and am not able to take a picture of one I have. Hopefully a catalog illustration will help. The single vertical support brace is spot welded in the center of the latch support and would attach to the lower part of the radiator support like the early versions with two supports did. Any of the grills you find now should have holes for either version that you may find. This version will still need a 8182 bracket.

16747-2.JPG

Hello jowens1126,

The latch support you need for your grill project is defiantly another 71-73 "Unicorn" part. Just in case you don't hear from anyone here on the forum, I decided to post a couple of links that might help. The first is Mustang's Unlimited. I will tell you that I have requested some price quotes on several parts a few times and never heard from them. Never tried to call them as I felt they posted their part on the site, they should monitor it .  http://www.rearcounter.com/D2ZZ-16747-A-parts438974.html

The second I've never dealt with but they do show stock and a price.  http://www.2040-parts.com/1972-ford-nos-mustang-grille-support-d2zz-16747-a-i1534304/  

The Ford part # for the "After" 6/14/71 part is D2ZZ-16747-A    :)

I think I may have a spare.  PM me if still needing one.

kcmash

Warning!  Life is busy so I am slow to respond!!

Thank you much for those pictures! Now I will be able to tell if what im looking at is what I actually need.

Thanks again!

jowens1126, did you ever contact kcmash on the one he may have? The two links I posted still show inventory, IF they still have them is another story! None are being reproduced that I know of and I just haven't seen many for sale. A lot of em' were damaged during front end collisions and many were lost when the 71-73's were being crushed back when they were considered much like the 74-78 Mustang II's as "Not real Mustang's"!

I did but got no response. He did say he was slow to respond, so Maybe he will pop back up soon. The one link to 2020 parts wouldn't let you buy the part, it said it's an outdated posting. I didn't contact rear counter yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to Don at OMS for getting me the parts I needed to complete this project. I am so thankful that he was able to locate all of the parts I needed. Hopefully this weekend I can get some time to install the new front grill!

Back