71-72 Mach 1 stripes - Gloss or Matt?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdennis

Reaction score
Guys,
I found a set of Mach 1 stripes (black) that look like they were created / printed here in Australia. They look to have the right taper.
Question is.
The stripes I have are gloss.

From the factory, were they gloss, satin or matt?

Hemi is correct, low gloss. As with the hood black-out. On mine, I used SEM Hot Rod Black
I chose the stripe kit from Graphics Express in Florida. Even though it's good, it's still not perfect.
Detailed information can be found on the 429 Mustang Megasite ( Google it, I lost the link somehow)
Back when my car was painted, I bought a set of stripes from NPD, but found they were a) too glossy and b) the glue was not even and there were spots were it was missing. That set was scrapped.
Also a tip. The top line of the stripe should be straight and level. My anal nature had me set the car level at the door sill, then use a laser level to set the top of the stripe. It's hard to get over the rear wheel arch and keep it straight. There was obviously more involved than that,, but you get the idea.
Good luck.

Geoff, and team,
Thanks for the info.
Here is the link to the 429 Mustangs site re the stripes. - http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/paint_info.htm

I have a local club member that is a sign writer and is going to help put them on. The ones I have look like they were made locally. So may not be 100% right but look like they will be right enough. The ones on the car are not original as it has had a closed door paint. I can see where the old ones were inside the doors.

The hard bit will be getting the old ones off.

Guys,
I found a set of Mach 1 stripes (black) that look like they were created / printed here in Australia. They look to have the right taper.
Question is.
The stripes I have are gloss.

From the factory, were they gloss, satin or matt?
They should be Satin. I am the original owner of a 73 Mach 1 and the stripes (decals) on it are satin

The hard part will be removing the old adhesive, 3M sells woodgrain and stripe remover used to be in auto body stores.

Rubbing alcohol will work, but I may have used (I say may!!) brake cleaner, but TEST before hand. Ordinary oil paint thinner is another possibility, but again TEST before using. NOT Automotive paint reducer or lacquer thinner.

Back