71-72 rear bumper on 73 ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robsweden

Reaction score
My Car
Mach 1 73 351c
I really dont like the 73 bumper with rubber parts in it. Does the 71-72 fit ?

Regards Rob

Rob,

Yes it can be done. You will need to replace the quarter end caps on both sides and the bumper brackets. The bumpers themselves are the same for all. The rubber fillers along with the metal filler mounted under the tail lights will need to be removed and all holes filled.

Good luck

Thanks, Jay

IMG_5070.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are talking about the black rubber rub strips that go horizontal that was an option. The standard rear 73 bumper does not have the rub strips but all 73 rears have the guards. Guards on the 73 are out to either side in center of the tail lights. 71 72 are more to the center and tall and skinny. I assume the bumper brackets are different on 73 to move the bumper back so when crashed had to travel farther to hit body. That is the reason for the rubber fillers in front of the bumper ends on a 73. If you take the rubber fillers off there will be two holes in the quarter panel that you will have to close up.

oh there was an optional rubber strip on 73's ? Never seen these. Was it sticked on chrome?

[i assume the bumper brackets are different on 73]

yes, and a metal plate behind, so some extra holes to fill too.

Hi

Thanks, If there is a 73 bumper without the rubber and vertical stuff it will do just fine

Robsweden, Ford replaced the 71-72 rear bumpers with 1973 part numbers so they will interchange between model years. You can install the new bumper on your existing bumper brackets and it will sit in the same location as your original bumper. As already posted, if you elect to remove the isolators (what Ford called the rubber fillers between the body and bumper) you will have some holes to fill in. You will also need some 71-72 rear bumper brackets that will move the bumper back in closer to the body.

I would save your 73 take off items. Since the 73 had one year only bumper brackets, horizontal rub strips, and isolators, you could recoup some of your purchase price if someone is looking for some good condition OE 73 parts.  

Part number for the plain chrome bumper is D3ZZ-17906-D

Last edited by a moderator:
Robsweden, Ford replaced the 71-72 rear bumpers with 1973 part numbers so they will interchange between model years. You can install the new bumper on your existing bumper brackets and it will sit in the same location as your original bumper. As already posted, if you elect to remove the isolators (what Ford called the rubber fillers between the body and bumper) you will have some holes to fill in. You will also need some 71-72 rear bumper brackets that will move the bumper back in closer to the body.

I would save your 73 take off items. Since the 73 had one year only bumper brackets, horizontal rub strips, and isolators, you could recoup some of your purchase price if someone is looking for some good condition OE 73 parts.  

Part number for the plain chrome bumper is D3ZZ-17906-D
Super thanks for the help. I Will try to find one in Sweden
Regards Rob

Skickat från min SM-T815 via Tapatalk

Back