• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

71-73 351C Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
** CAR PURCHASED, thanks **

Looking for a 71-73 Mach 1 with a 351C engine. It must have a body and chassis with no corrosion issues and with no major repairs. I don't mind mechanical issues or old paint as long as the price is reasonable.

Prefer:

-Engine not recently rebuilt.

-Don't want to pay extra for mechanical mods.

-A mainly black interior. No tan or no white interior.

-Color: prefer not white. Blue, Red, Yellow, gray are great.

-C6 or C4 trans.

-Q or H codes

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony... what is your price range?
$14,000 max, but that would be a car that is mechanically good besides a non-rusted body. If there are mechanical issues or mods the price I am willing to pay is less depending on the specifics. Also, if I have to go out of state and/or pay for transportation I need to somehow account for that.

Prefer:

-C6 or C4 trans.

-Q or H codes
I sent you a PM but a little more on my car,

It's an H Code, Red with Black interior, the only strike against it is that it's an FMX Trans and not a C6 or C4.

Question for you experts, for some reason I feel I don't want to have an FMX trans, but is that really a big issue? My thought is that it is fairly heavy and somewhere I read that there are not many aftermarket parts available as for the C4 or C6. Thoughts?

Question for you experts, for some reason I feel I don't want to have an FMX trans, but is that really a big issue? My thought is that it is fairly heavy and somewhere I read that there are not many aftermarket parts available as for the C4 or C6. Thoughts?
So seeing as I have an FMX trans I can give you a little thought process on this. Yes, aftermarket parts are a little harder to come by for the FMX, but summit carries both shift kits and rebuilds, and there are a number of vendors our there that carry the torque converters. As far as bits and pieces of it, gaskets and such, I've gotten parts from local auto parts stores with little issue.

Because the trans is a single piece of cast iron it is a little heavy. But not significantly compared to the C4 and C6. The FMX uses a twin planetary gearset, so of the three transmissions it actually has the lowest parasitic HP consumption, and as the transmission is from Ford's truck line, they're generally perceived to be capable of taking 500hp in otherwise stock shape.

Gear ratio I don't recall being that different between all the transmissions, if someone can chime in on that?

Personally, I never considered the FMX bad in comparison to the C4 and C6, only bad in that it wasn't a manual transmission. But that's neither here nor there.

And I'm not just saying that cause I've offered up my car! I'd rather you find something you're happy with and love. These 71/73's deserve as much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking for a 71-73 Mach 1 with a 351C engine. It must have a body and chassis with no corrosion issues and with no major repairs. I don't mind mechanical issues or old paint as long as the price is reasonable.

Prefer:

-C6 or C4 trans.

-Q or H codes
would you travel to new

york?

Back