71-73 Electric side mirrors.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys. 

I saw some of you have converted the Racing mirrors to electric mirrors. I am really thinking about doing the same to mine as I hate the cable operated one theres in the driver side. Can anyone help me with a parts list to convert these and maybe a list where you bought the parts for it? I know that would make it easy for me but I just dont know where to look for the parts here in Denmark. I could go to a car graveyard and start looking, but that would be european cars and the most of them would be with heatet glass I think and maybe that wont fit in the mirror house and could be a waste of time.

Would really appreciate some help with this as I find it as a very cool idea!!! :D

Best regards Daniel

You are one sub-forum away from the Mother Lode you're seeking.  AustinVert did a 10-thread tutorial in the 'Tutorials' section of this forum.

He and I had talked about it at some point, and discussed using the servos from '96-era Thunderbird mirrors (since my Mom had smashed hers and I kept the mirrors for just such a thing).  He took things further and actually did it (he's good like that)!

Start with this thread: https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-austin-vert-s-power-mirror-tutorial-part-1

I made a set from T-bird motors which you can still buy new. I also did it a second time using 87 Camaro motors, which I liked better, but they had one drawback. They would only fit in the mirror housing diagonally. The mirror has full range of motion, but it move diagonally and not purely left and right or up and down.

I don't have a full tutorial like Austin's. I took a similar approach, but I installed sequential directional arrows as well and put the motor switch in my center console. I also made a set for a friend not motorized but with the directional arrows only. He wanted to keep the stock remote cable operation. I have attached a short video of it in action. when you click on it, it is downloaded to your computer where you can play it.

20190717_141713_1 small.mp4

Attachments

• 20190717_141713_1 small.mp4
    1.7 MB
Last edited by a moderator:
Back