71-73 Mustang Special Models

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertable
302 v2 FMX 2.79 rear end
I found this web site that ad special Mustang models that were produced, below id just the 71-73 Special Models

http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/statsexplorer.cgi?year=all&f1=specialmod

1971grande.jpg

Mustang Grande The 1971 Mustang Grande option was only for the hardtop and consisted of a vinyl roof, plush interior with deluxe cloth high bucket seats, electric clock, interior trim panels with molded pull handles and arm rests, deluxe two-spoke steering wheel, color-keyed racing mirrors, full wheel covers, metal rocker panel moldings, metal wheel lip trim, and dual exterior paint stripes.

1971mach1.jpg

The 1971 Mustang Mach 1 came only on the fastback body style. The 1971 Mach 1 came with color keyed sport mirrors, spoiler, rear bumper, hood, and front fender; sport fog lamps integrated into the grille; sport suspension, wheels, and trim rings; black honeycomb rear panel; black or argent silver rocker panel paint; deck lid, body side, and hood stripes; the 302ci V8 engine; and optional NASA styled vented hood. The Mach 1 sports interior has knitted vinyl seats, deluxe two spoke steering wheel, molded door panels, black dash panel with wood grained center instruments group panel, electric clock, rear ash trays, and color matched front rubber floor mats sewn to the carpet.

Mustang Mach 1

1971boss351.jpg

Mustang Boss The 1971 Mustang Boss 351 came only in the fastback body style and included either the 330hp, Ram Air, 351ci Cleveland, V8 engine; and with many of the 1971 Mach 1 options including competition suspension, functional black spoiler, blacked out NASA-styled hood, honeycombed grille, color keyed racing mirrors, hub caps or trim rings, black or argent silver stripes, and fender moldings.

1971T5.jpg

Ford could not export the Mustang to Germany, but they could export a Mustang with all it's "Mustang" emblems replaced with "T5". The T-5 Ford was available for export to Germany from 1964 to 1979.

T-5 Ford

1971springvalue.jpg

Spring Special Value Hardtop The 1971 Spring Special Value Mustang hardtop featured many Mach 1 and Boss sport appearance upgrade on the base level Mustang hardtop. It included the color-matched from bumper of the 1971 Mach 1; side stripes of the 1971 Boss; and grille mounted fog lamps, color-keyed side mirrors, and black lower body side paint of both.

1972grande.jpg

The 1972 Mustang Grande was a special luxury package for the hardtop body style. The Grande options package included a full vinyl roof with Grande script lettering, body side tape pin stripes, full wheel covers, a Lambeth cloth and vinyl luxury seats, bright pedal pad trim, deluxe instrument panel trim with wood grain, and electric clock.

Grande

1972mach1.jpg

Mach 1 The 1972 Mustang Mach 1 was a sport special model consisting of a NASA-style scoop hood; argent silver or black lower body finish; color keyed front bumper, rear fender moldings, and sport mirrors; black honeycomb grille with integrated fog lamps; sport hubcaps with trim rings; a 302ci, 2-barrel, V8 engine; and a sport interior with high back bucket seats, electric clock, triple instrument pod, black and wood grain dash trim, and deluxe carpet and door panels.

1972special1.jpg

The 1972 Mustang Sprint was created to promote the 1972 Olympics and to participate in the Washington DC Cherry Blossom Parade. All Sprints were painted white with blue and red accents. There were over 6200 Sprint hardtops, almost 3100 Sprint Sportroofs, and 50 Sprint convertibles built. They came with two different Sprint Decor options. The "A" Sprint package defined the white paint with red and blue accents, color matched seats and carpets, white wall tires, and the 1972 Olympic flag decal on the rear fender. A "B" Sprint package added mag-type wheels to the "A" option list.

Sprint

1973grande.jpg

Grande The 1973 Mustang Grande was a special luxury package for the hardtop body style. The Grande options package included a full vinyl roof, body side tape pin stripes, full wheel covers, and a luxury seats and interior trim. This was the last year that the luxury options package was called Grande, in 1974 it was renamed the Ghia after a redesign of the options by the newly Ford acquired Ghia Italian design firm.

1973mach1.jpg

1973 was the last year for the classic Mustang Mach 1 which was a sport special model consisting of a NASA-style scoop hood; argent silver or black lower body finish; color keyed front bumper, rear fender moldings, and sport mirrors; black grille with integrated fog lamps; sport wheels; and a sport interior with high back bucket seats, electric clock, triple instrument pod, black and wood grain dash trim, and deluxe carpet and door panels.

Mach 1

We discussed that website on a German forum a while ago.

I don't know if I agree. Mach1s, Grandes and Bosses were regular production models. I would not consider them specials.

Then they list the 68 Bullitt and reissue plastic Eleanor as as special models?!? What?

One was a standard GT with some tweaking for a movie and the other was designed by Chip Foose for the same purpose.

:-/

That front spoiler on the 73 mach is horrific!
Not to mention the nose paint...

...but I better shut up. After nagging about so many ugly examples out there, I wind up buying one of the worst that I've seen. Instant CAR-ma.

-Kurt

Back