71-73 Mustang Values

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 MACH I - 351C 2V - FMX
I am attempting to place a value on my 1972 MACH I Mustang. Looking through the web, as expected, the values are spread out quite a bit. I am betting a few of the members here can provide some sound advice on this topic to help me and others with similar questions.

I am sure most would ask about the VIN and Condition. Mine decodes as 1972 MACH I with the 168hp 351ci Cleveland, 2-barral V8. I got this one from a family member in 2001. It has been in the family since 1979/80 timeframe. The car sat around as a keeper in a garage between 1987 and 2001. I started taking it apart as a perseveration project in 2001.  

[SIZE=11pt]I say that because I consider a restoration as more of a so-called frame-off, and this one was more of a frame-on project. Basically, the front suspension and rear-end assembly stayed in the car, and I cleaned, detailed, and painted the best I could. I did however rebuild the 4-wheel drum brakes, and add new shocks and BF Goodrich tires. [/SIZE]

As for the body. I removed the front clip, cleaned, installed, and painted the car to its original color using PPG's Matrix. For the interior, I replaced weather stripping, new windshield, and removed the rear window for the paint and reseal. I added sound/heat shielding to the floor pan, reproduction carpet, dash pad, repainted some of the interior plastic, and installed the factory seats and door panels, and re-pop rear side panels. Besides 2 very small rust spots repaired on the lower inboard rear quarter (not exterior) body panels, this car was quite rust free. 

Powerplant is a stock rebuild, except for a little bit more cam for sound.

As soon as I can resize some photos, I will post them. 

All recommendations welcome.

Thank you               

According to the '72 Facts Book power front disc brakes were a required option for all models with 351Cs, 2 or 4 barrel carburetors. The only model they came standard on was convertibles. They were not included with competition suspension.

Spike,

I am a believer.  Mine was an odd duck like that too.  2v Cleveland Mach 1, Clock in the dash with the rare console Mach 1 block plate, center stack gages, tilt, and rear defrost.  A stripe car with dog dish caps and 4 wheel power drum brakes.

kcmash

According to the '72 Facts Book power front disc brakes were a required option for all models with 351Cs, 2 or 4 barrel carburetors. The only model they came standard on was convertibles. They were not included with competition suspension.
72 facts book may be accurate.  Mine was an early 71 with 4 wheel drum on a 2v Cleveland/ FMX power train.

kcmash

72MustangSprint: Sounds like a H code Mach, (Yes, the 5th digit in the VIN is an H. 2F05H. Based on my research this decodes as: 2 = 72, F = Dearborn MI, 05 = MACH I, and H = 168hp 351 Cleveland 2-barrel V8.) lots of pics and a Marti report would help for value. Is it matching numbers and stock? (I have been around this car since 1980, and it is as it was except for things like an alternator, water pump, starter, and things like that, to my knowledge, yes.)

Spike Morelli: .......4 wheel drum brakes? (Yes, 4-wheel Manual drum) Are you sure it's not a Sports roof dressed up as a Mach? (I only have the VIN to go by – 2F05HXXXXXX.)

Is there any documentation of a MACH I not having drum brakes, manual or otherwise? Other than being around this car for so long, I am not a Mustang expert, and partly the reason for asking these questions. I did look at the Marti Report web-site, but $200+ for a full report seems high for the info I have on the cowl tag and VIN, but I could be wrong.

Don C, kcmash, and Vicus, thank you for your valued input also.

Looks like the topic is open for discussion.

I am still trying to find out how to lower the photo sizes to 512 or less. 

Thank you all, and looking forward to more help.      

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what I was looking at yesterday, but I looked again today, and the '72 Facts book makes no mention of requiring disc brakes on 351C equipped cars. You can download one in this thread:

Figuring out if my car is a Mach 1 or Fast back - Off Topic Discussions - 7173Mustangs.com

'73 was the only year that required them for 351C equipped cars and were standard on convertibles. In '71 they were required for 429 equipped cars and standard on Boss 351s. The '71 facts books are available in the Wiki section of the forum.

1971-1973 Mustang Wikipedia – Everything about the 1971, 1972 & 1973 Ford Mustang (7173mustangs.com)

You can download a copy of the '73 facts book from this thread

1973 Mustang Facts Book (revised 1/73) - Individual Project Build Threads - 7173Mustangs.com

To all of you whom have corrected me, I stand corrected. Not that I ( obviously ) know all of the required, and optional ins-and outs of these cars, it's just that I presumed that the sportier Mach 1 package would have the disc brakes. I had a '65 Mustang GT coupe, years ago, and it came with disc brakes, so it follows that I'm just suprised to see drums all around on a Mach.

With all three years being different, it's no wonder, I couldn't even get it straight after reading out of the fact books.

When I got my '71 and it had front discs I had assumed all of them had discs, it was months, if not years before I figured it out that they didn't.

To me, it almost seems like if you didn't check the boxes when ordering, you didn't get the options. My 71 M code Mach 1 came with 4 wheel non power drum brake, standard steering and no options other than 4 speed with Hurst shifter and AM radio, but 6 were ordered like this in Light Pewter and basic black interior. I had 2 72 Mach 1's, one was a Q code 4 speed with non power drum brakes and steering, but had all the gauges and decor interior. The other was an H code C6, but had PS and PDB's and a full decor interior. Both were built in April 72 and I had them at the same time in 1980. 

Thank you everyone. The links were a prefect help to me, and I am sure in the future they will be for others too. 

At least at this point I can say it is a MACH I from the VIN for sure, and since you all helped me understand the options were all over the map. I will order the $20 report too. I would like to see if all the original options are intact. I would think so since nothing has basically changed on it since 79, except for my removal of the factory AC system. My plan is to upgrade to an aftermarket reliable 134 system. Although I still have the original system. Heck, I even stabbed the points distributor back in during my overhaul. It took more time for me to remember how to use my old dwell meter, than it did to find it.      

Recommendations Please on new front seat covers, and an AC system?

Once I discover the findings on the report, I will update you, add some photos, and maybe you all can help me with the reason for all my questions, the values.  

Thank you and Happy New Year

The last one page Marti I ordered was $18.00 not too long ago. They E-mail it in like two or three days. It tells all about the car just not in a frame with statistics. The one attached is the cheap one this was for a parts car I have pretty rare but not really worth saving.

View attachment 2F05Q157604_stdrpt.pdf

Having driven a manual drum brake car as my only car (70 302 sportsroof) for awhile, to me their being original when new is not a selling point. Power drum brakes may be acceptable, I guess, but the manual brakes were a heartstopper. With everything else you've done, upgrading the brakes to power disc is a logical step and would increase the value if Ford parts are used. In my opinion....

I received my Marti Report, and the car is what the report describes. 

DOOR DATA PLATE INFORMATION Serial Number 2F05H145637: 2 1972 F Built at Dearborn, 05 Mustang Mach I 2-Door SportsRoof, H 351-2V V-8 Engine, production at Dearborn 11/71, 63R Mustang Mach I 2-Door SportsRoof, 5A Light Pewter Metallic Paint, Ford #3314-A, AF Ginger Vinyl Standard Bucket Seats, 2 2.75 Conventional Rear Axle, X FMX Select Shift Automatic Transmission, 52 Dallas DSO (District Sales Office)

Your vehicle was equipped with the following features: - F60X15 Belted Raised White Letter Tires - Power Steering - Air Conditioner - SelectAire - AM Radio - Console - Tinted Glass - Magnum 500 Chrome Wheels 

This is cool stuff. Photos to come. 

Thank you all.

Back