71-73 Mustang Values

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It didn't mention brakes? It had a ginger interior with light pewter? That seems like an odd combination. Nicely optioned though.
Disc Brakes would be an option under the "Your vehicle is equipped with" heading. No check box on the Power Disc Brake option, no PDB for you, no mention under the options. Drums were standard and no mention would be made. 

Marti's book shows Pewter w/Ginger standard interior at 189 sportsroofs so equipped. Not quite so heinous as the 1 of  Grabber Yellow w/Vermillion M1 Sports Interior car. 

Disc Brakes would be an option under the "Your vehicle is equipped with" heading. No check box on the Power Disc Brake option, no PDB for you, no mention under the options. Drums were standard and no mention would be made. 

Marti's book shows Pewter w/Ginger standard interior at 189 sportsroofs so equipped. Not quite so heinous as the 1 of  Grabber Yellow w/Vermillion M1 Sports Interior car. 
Interesting Hemikiller,

Grabber Yellow with RED, the purchaser MUST have been color blind!!

Geoff........What!? You mean we're not supposed to be wearing those now!!    :biggrin:
 No, no longer. Oh and it was a Suede leather jacket to boot! Ok, we're a bit off track here, but under a lockdown with nothing to do, here's a pic of me back in 1974, Not the purple jacket, but dig the pants and boots!

017_017_00.JPG

That stuff is so funny.  :classic_laugh:

I am glad I can say I never dawned those digs, but I would have drank a beer with ya :beer:  back in the day, but remember several friends dressing down and doing the disco thing. 

When I was deciding to do the work on this car, I considered changing the interior color, but am glad I did not now. It actually looks good together, plus my father-in-law asked I keep it stock, plus I am to cheep to replace something that is in serviceable condition.MACH I in 2001.JPG_sm.JPG This was it when I picked it up from my father-in-law.  

MACH I in 2021sm.jpg  This is it now. 

I do need some replacement front seat covers. Any recommendations?

I also need to put the MACH I decals on it, so can someone help me with this question. This was my now wife of 40 years car in high school. Here is a photo in 1980. This is all the decals on it when she got it in 78. Is this possible?72 MACH I 1980.jpg 

Last edited by a moderator:
Stanglover, NP with the change of pace on the topic. You are correct, we have to relax and remember the "good old days", our good old days from time to time. I grew up in P'cola FL, and had a jacket very similar to that one myself for our short winters. That pic brings back some fun memories of skateboards, dirt bikes, and hanging around friends with the 60's muscle cars.  

I do need some replacement front seat covers. Any recommendations?

I also need to put the MACH I decals on it, so can someone help me with this question. This was my now wife of 40 years car in high school. Here is a photo in 1980. This is all the decals on it when she got it in 78. Is this possible?View attachment 47723 
Yup, looks like the car came with no hockey stripe and no hood blackout. Those were options.

That was exactly what the car I have would have looked like when it was new. If it came with the bright strips along the lower body, it did NOT have hockey stripes or hood blackout. 

As for seat covers, this was recently discussed here. TMI  and Distinctive Industries make good covers, but spend the extra and buy new foam and listing rods and the buttons (below the headrest). NPD sell those and TMI covers, but I'd get someone with upholstery experience to put them on unless that's in your wheelhouse.

When I bought mine, a PO had the car repainted and he added the stripes and blackout, so when I redid it, I kept that look just because I feel that is the way it ought to look for the Mach 1. I kept the bright strips as well in case the next owner wants to go back to the original look. Besides, it would have been a pain to weld in all those mount clip holes.

1971 Mach1 pic 3.jpg

Did someone say polyester?  How about moustaches and sideburns? Photo is '73, I'm on the left, with my brother and sister. Eegads!

family photos.jpg

Man, those pics sure bring back old memories. The burns were a bit before my time, but I remember the look. I was more of a shaggy haired skateboarder. However, that 70's look for the gals is unforgettable. You know, it is interesting, all the people I have known from all over, we all seem to have been cut from a similar cloth. Boards and cycles of some sort, tool boxes, loud music, and now old classic cars, and just plain fun to be around. Thank for sharing!     

I hope I have shared enough now about my Mustang to get some feedback on value. Basically a clean car, newer paint, clean stock interior, it was an AC car, but its all in boxes, 4 wheel manual drums, power steering, factory AM radio, rebuilt FMX auto, bolted to a 351 2V Cleveland, underside has been cleaned and painted without disassembly. However, although very drivable, it still needs an overhaul of the steering and suspension components. I will look at the mileage and post later. Since the car spent most of its life (87-present) sitting, I am thinking less than 100K miles. My father-in-law kept some mileage and oil change records, so I will dig those out and do some math.    

Thank you for your input.     

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help. I will look into those covers.

Stanglover, great looking car. I started to blackout the hood when I painted, but decided, with feedback from family to keep the original look.
I actually prefer the look without the hockey strips and hood blackout paint. That's how I had my 73 sportsroof, with the half vinyl top. 1664023093583.png

Realizing I'm replying to a 2yr old conversation, but just for more data points -
I had a 72 fastback for a parts car. It had the 351C, 2 barrel, FMX transmission, and 4 wheel drum brakes.

Back