71 - 73 Seat Upholstery - Distinctive Industry or TMI ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1971stang

Reaction score
I am trying to decide between Distinctive Industry and TMI for Standard or Deluxe Seat Upholstery complete set on a 1971 Mustang Coupe w/ Medium Green interior.

I believe I like the "Standard" better than the "Deluxe" because I have had deluxe for 15 years and don't like the color difference, plus the "Comfort Weave" is pressed vinyl and not true comfort weave and lastly the standard look nicer to me.

But I am NOT sure which brand makes a better quality product to be honest and most Forum entries on this same Topic or very Dated circa 2004 timeframe...

Apparently back then TMI was more accurate reproduction for "Show Car" w/ better piping (extruded welting chord piping) and Distinctive was better overall quality with thicker vinyl and padding (but w/ wrapped vinyl piping) for "Daily Driver".  

But back then both were actually made in USA, now Distinctive is made in Mexico, according to Label Tag's that I found on the web. 

Distinctive has been around since 1969 though and are generally carry a cheaper price tag.

I actually called CJPony and they told me Distinctive was still better quality than TMI and that they sell allot more of their brand, they also said TMI was better for Custom Colors regarding Mach I's.

Have any of you Classic Mustang Owners perhaps used both companies or sets of Vinyl  or has anybody actually compared these (2) side by side to note the key differences ?

Which one wears better and which one looks better ?

I just purchased deluxe vermilion interior seats for my 70 Mach 1 from TMI after getting a few samples from them.  I have gotten them yet, but I liked what I have seen of others who have installed interior from TMI. 

I used TMI.  Black and grey comfortweave Mach 1 seats.  I like it.

kcmash

I went with the TMI Sport seats up front and standard seat in back - Love It!  Then again, mine's more of a restomod than restoration.

I installed TMI deluxe covers and foam on my Mach 1. They fit very well with good comfort. During a recent cleaning, after about 3 years since installed I found a couple of splits in the vinyl on the bolster of the drivers seat. I do not believe anything can be done with it to correct, just an FYI.

thanks, Jay

So nobody has used Distinctive Industries ?  That is what I pulled out of my 1971 that has been installed and held up for about 15 years...

Like I said, all the research I have done reveals (2) main points.

1)  TMI is more accurate for MACH I's and has the correct for Piping (Extruded Welted Chord).

2)  DISTINCTIVE was more durable for Daily Driver and didn't fall apart, rip or tear as easily.

Thanks everybody for your input and feedback !

I installed TMI deluxe covers and foam on my Mach 1. They fit very well with good comfort. During a recent cleaning, after about 3 years since installed I found a couple of splits in the vinyl on the bolster of the drivers seat. I do not believe anything can be done with it to correct, just an FYI.

thanks, Jay
The side bolster  panels can be replaced. I did that on mine because there was a hog ring that had not been crimped and had made a hole. Fortunately I have a friend who is a custom upholsterer, so easy for me.

i used the Distinctive Industries upholstery
for my 71 vert and I posted several pictures of my progress in a thread last winter as i recovered all seats and redid the interior of my stang.

New Mat.JPG

Have you checked with SMS upholstery in Oregon to see if they have the real comfort weave material in Green? Will be expensive but will be correct if you had comfort weave. I put off buying mine and they ran out of white. I wish I had bought years ago when they had the white material.

I am in the process of installing distinctive standard interior door panels.  The vinyl is of nice quality. The panel backing board is a pain. 

The drivers side went well with one exception. Distinctive does not perforate the panel for the remote mirror control. Fortunately I had my old panel and was able to take measurements and apply those to the distinctive panel.  I also had to grind away part of the backboard, to allow the backing plate of the mirror control to recess enough to allow a couple of threads to be visible and be able to put the threaded trim ring on.  (Was that a run on sentence)

The passenger side was worse. I had no visible locations for door clips along the bottom of the panel. Via the merchant I purchased the panels from, Distinctive replied that all panels are punched on one side. They are then flipped around to be either a left or right door panel back board. Distinctive stated that “sometimes “ the machine doesn’t punch all the way through the back board. Distinctive also said I could measure off the drivers door and transpose those measurements to the passenger door.  

I had to remove the the staples and pull back the edges of the vinyl until I could see the backboard that the interior side of the vinyl is attached to. I could then see the retaining  clip locations. I was then able to cut ou the locations from the inside, and install the retaning clips. 

it appears that distinctive is aware of failure of their machinery to properly perforate the backboard.  Yet they continue to sell and expect the end user to modify their product to fit.  If I were to purchase panels again, I would try TMI 

if anyone would like photos I could send them to you. 

I have ordered TMI Custom trim for my 71 Mach. Had to special order it but got it through JEGS considerably cheaper than CJ's or any of the other outlets. Custom orders are apparently backed up a few months. Ordered in April and are due to deliver at the End of July. I saw Muscle Tony's TMI interior and had to have it! I will post pics when I finally get them and let you know what I think. I did get the "Sport" upholstery with the side bolsters. 

1599806894-71-73-mustang-mach1-upholstery.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have ordered TMI Custom trim for my 71 Mach. Had to special order it but got it through JEGS considerably cheaper than CJ's or any of the other outlets. Custom orders are apparently backed up a few months. Ordered in April and are due to deliver at the End of July. I saw Muscle Tony's TMI interior and had to have it! I will post pics when I finally get them and let you know what I think. I did get the "Sport" upholstery with the side bolsters. 

Going to look great once they are in.  Don't forget the Mach 1 Seat Buttons that go on them.

BUTTON SET, SEAT BACK, MACH 1 - #64824-6A - National Parts Depot (npdlink.com)

Hi Mach1s,

I P.Med you. :)

Back