71 at Mecum Dallas

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible 351c 4v 4 speed

2013 Mustang Boss 302
Does anyone happen to know anything about this car?

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail.cfm?lot_id=DA0914-193197

I'm seriously thinking about bidding on it next week in Dallas. Any opinions on what its worth? Anyone know how to contact the seller to find out the VIN and such? I've never bought a car at auction before.

It's a nice looking car. The 351C 4V and speed are yummy. Nothing extra special about it that would make me 'bid high' but if you can get it for a good no reserve price it looks like a nice car.

It's a nice looking car. The 351C 4V and speed are yummy. Nothing extra special about it that would make me 'bid high' but if you can get it for a good no reserve price it looks like a nice car.
That's what I'm thinking. I posted in the "race" forum about building a 71 for a drag/street car and the M code, if it is original, with the 4v CC heads would be a great engine to start with I think with a target around 500 hp.

I'm thinking under 12k would be a good price if it is as clean as it looks in the pictures.

The 71 M Code Fastback is more rare than the 71 M Code Mach1, top it off with ramair and 4 Speed, makes it even more rare (if it was delivered that way). From the pics and information available, I'm liking it, especially if you could get it for 12K. Worth checking it out in person and running that VIN through Marti to see how rare it is... if you're a serious bidder

Jim

The 71 M Code Fastback is more rare than the 71 M Code Mach1, top it off with ramair and 4 Speed, makes it even more rare (if it was delivered that way). From the pics and information available, I'm liking it, especially if you could get it for 12K. Worth checking it out in person and running that VIN through Marti to see how rare it is... if you're a serious bidder

Jim
Of course who knows what it will go for. But from watching the auctions the 71 to 73s certainly are not as popular as the older ones and while the non-mach might be rarer I don't think it is as desirable to collectors over all so I would be surprised if it goes for more than 15k or so. Plus it is being auctioned on Thursday which certainly isn't a big buyer day. Might have to drive down on Wednesday morning to look at it in person since I can't seem to find any way to contact the seller to learn more about it.

I like it. If you are not a purist it is an excellent sort of fake Mach 1. 12 grand would be a good price but it is dicey at the auction and don't you have to pay a buyer premium?

Nice car but I'd question everything on it as not being original until you have the vin and marti report.

Yes, there is an 8% buyers charge. I'm leaning towards going to go see it in person on Wednesday to decide if I want to bid on it on Thursday.

Actually, if it's real, thats kinda cool. Here i go again.... back in the day there were always rumors that dealers could order fastbacks with Mach 1 exterior decor, a low geared posi trac, with 351 2v / fmx. The intent was supposedly so they could easily whip out a drag car without spending more $ for the more elaborate engines and interiors while maintaining the advertising sparkle of the Mach 1 decor.

I suppose 8 percent is not too bad. Add sales tax when you register and it can get a bit more pricey in a jiffy. I would buy it if it is the car you like. I bought mine because it looked like I wanted it too. I did not care about all the other stuff. did not know enough to care.

Rare doesn't always mean valuable. It seems like you have your head in the right place on this one. If I was looking for a future drag car I would be a little less worried about rust except in the subframes and such. If I was going for a drag car I would find a usable body and then load it up with my drag package and not worry if it came with a 4spd or 351 to begin with.

Rare doesn't always mean valuable. It seems like you have your head in the right place on this one. If I was looking for a future drag car I would be a little less worried about rust except in the subframes and such. If I was going for a drag car I would find a usable body and then load it up with my drag package and not worry if it came with a 4spd or 351 to begin with.
Exactly, and would probably +++ more fun and less costly.

That's a pretty early '71 with the chrome lining the back of the hood and fenders. Not common.

It looks pretty nicely done, despite the few artistic liberties taken with it. I'm almost certain the "blue and white seating package" claim is baloney. There isn't any code for such a combination given for '71. Black valance and spoiler are oddities as well. The Cleveland has been out of that car at least once and sprayed the wrong Ford Blue. Not really a big deal.

Regardless, if it's as nicely put together as the photos suggest, it IS worth bidding on, even if you're a purist (however, remember Rule #1: Don't put money down on anything you haven't seen in person or in a nauseatingly detailed series of closeup photos). Most of what appears wrong here can be corrected quickly enough that paying a premium may be worth it.

-Kurt

I am definitely not a purist as I own a 71 convertible Mach 1 tribute. I would definitely put a set of Magnus 500s on it as soon as possible so there is that added cost as well. I don't have to be in a hurry to buy and would only do so for a number I considered a real bargain. Sure appreciate all the input everyone.

If you haven't done so already, give the Mecum folks a call... PHONE 262-275-5050.

Not sure what info they can give out, but they will do what then can to get you to bid on that car.

Looks good in the pictures but I'd have to see it in person to bid.

"That's a pretty early '71 with the chrome lining the back of the hood and fenders. Not common."

A friend of mine had a FB with that chrome on it and I had completely forgot about it. I think I like it. Is it hard to come by?
Only if you're looking for it.

"That's a pretty early '71 with the chrome lining the back of the hood and fenders. Not common."

A friend of mine had a FB with that chrome on it and I had completely forgot about it. I think I like it. Is it hard to come by?
Only if you're looking for it.
Or if you had a set and tossed them out.....

- Paul

Back