71 clutch spring

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruzin71

Reaction score
My Car
C
any advice renewing clutch spring under dash? I have the cluster and gauges out now because im doing other work and can see that the spring is broken

WHAT clutch do you have in there? If it's a modern diaphragm style, you don't need it, in fact you need to remove it. There is a trick that someone posted where you use a bunch of pennies placed in between the spring coils. when you let off the pressure, the spring will drop out.......... or that's the way the story goes. I cut mine out with a Dremel and cut-off wheel from the top.
However if you still have the old style long finger clutch, you'll need to replace it as it's there to assist the clutch pedal return. On the diaphragm style, that spring will hold the pedal down or not allow it to return all the way to the top.

By the way, if you haven't done so, please go to ' Introductions' and tell us about your ride and yes, we love pictures. The members will give you a warm welcome to the forum.
Geoff.

WHAT clutch do you have in there? If it's a modern diaphragm style, you don't need it, in fact you need to remove it. There is a trick that someone posted where you use a bunch of pennies placed in between the spring coils. when you let off the pressure, the spring will drop out.......... or that's the way the story goes. I cut mine out with a Dremel and cut-off wheel from the top.
However if you still have the old style long finger clutch, you'll need to replace it as it's there to assist the clutch pedal return. On the diaphragm style, that spring will hold the pedal down or not allow it to return all the way to the top.

By the way, if you haven't done so, please go to ' Introductions' and tell us about your ride and yes, we love pictures. The members will give you a warm welcome to the forum.
Geoff.
Thanks for your help, will do

Found this at local Mustang shop site. It covers all early year mustangs including 7173. It worked well for me , hopefully it can help someone else

Attachments

• Clutch Assist Spring Removal and Installation.pdf
    313.4 KB · Views: 21
Geoff….One of my last things to do since putting the engine and trans back in is to get my clutch pedal to return properly without assisting it with my foot. I also plan to pull my cluster and replace all of the old bulbs. I‘ve yet to tackle that one. I’m running the factory setup on the clutch with the toploader and figured there must be a return spring under the dash. Thanks for the information.

Geoff….One of my last things to do since putting the engine and trans back in is to get my clutch pedal to return properly without assisting it with my foot. I also plan to pull my cluster and replace all of the old bulbs. I‘ve yet to tackle that one. I’m running the factory setup on the clutch with the toploader and figured there must be a return spring under the dash. Thanks for the information.
When you say you're running the factory setup, I'm assuming you mean a 'long finger' old style clutch, or do you mean the factory linkage and Z bar? If the former, you'll need to keep that "assist" spring in place. That spring only needs to be removed when using a diaphragm style clutch. That's when that spring goes from being a help, to a problem.
As for your dash bulbs, there have been many post on the subject and my thoughts are to buy all your LED needs from Bill at www.hipoparts.com (Hi-Po Parts Garage) He may not be the cheapest, but you get what you pay for, good quality and PERSONAL service.

This probably isn't due to a return spring. I would be willing to bet that the bushes have failed on your z-bar and the pivot holes are egged out pretty badly.

This probably isn't due to a return spring. I would be willing to bet that the bushes have failed on your z-bar and the pivot holes are egged out pretty badly.
Mike, good point. That "assist spring" often get called a return spring.
As for bushings, that was a major part of my problems as well. For me, I added bearings to the pivot shaft and bronze oilite bushings everywhere else. What a difference!

I do still have the original linkage and Z bar. During the overhaul process I replaced the springs and some of the plastic bushings. I managed to not order all of the correct size bushings so on a couple I reused the old ones. With intentions of going back and correcting them. I don’t recall the holes being egged shaped. I do have the replacement LED bulbs for the cluster. One more thing to tackle. Thanks for the information.

Back