71' Convert Trunk Name tag?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks David! I've had a set of original letters which had the tape on the back so I know exactly what they look like but I sold that set a very long time ago. I have another original set of letters which have pins so that's why I keep asking for someone's help. I am aware they do not uninstall with ease! Thanks again for the info. Do you still want the Convertible top cable set you inquired about?
I had forgot about the cable was cleaning out some email and saw this link. Will go back and find the PM. Thanks,

David

To my knowledge, the 71 trunk letters for the coupe and convertible were stick ons. I've owned several very original 71 coupes and not a one ever had holes punched in the decklid. At least one still had residue from the adhesive. I can't find a part # listing for them in the MPC, they may have superseded them to the the script. Repops are available.

The tape stripe for the sportsroof deck lid was a real thing. It came in argent (D1ZZ-632000-H) or black (D1ZZ-632000-G) with the word "MUSTANG" punched out.

As I posted earlier the early 71 base Sportsroof had the "Mustang" decal on the deck lid and no applique or moldings on the tail light panel. The block letters and applique panel were phased in sometime during  January-February 71 production. I've seen very few of the tape stripe models. There was one of my co workers that had a plain sportsroof with a 302 and AM radio and not much else that had the tape stripe on his. Said it was too plain and installed the chrome block letters and black tail light panel! The 71 Verts and coupes had them from day one.

The last year I can find for production installed "Pin" letters retained by "Sleeve Nuts" is 1970. The pin letters which were sourced from the 65-66 Mustang GT were discontinued in 1979 and used the 71 adhesive letters as the service replacement.

The Ford part numbers were:

"M" D1ZZ-6540282-A

"U" D1ZZ-6540282-B

"S" D1ZZ-6540282-C

"T" D1ZZ-6540282-D

"A" D1ZZ-6540282-E  

"N" D1ZZ-6540282-F

"G" D1ZZ6540282-G

I've seen individual and sets of the letters on E-Bay and they can get a little pricey! Just have to search for the bargains. I believe Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply sells a set of adhesive repo letters. http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=2376

Last edited by a moderator:
Hemikiller! Sportsroof models didn't have the letters and in the pic you provided the spacing and location of the letters are incorrect! Only Convertibles and Coupes had them and only the '71s.

Never said that is was accurate or correct for the car, just posting a pic I found, we've already discussed the correct tape stripe.

If you have the correct locations of the "M" and "G" on a coupe/vert trunk lid, please share. The "T" is obvious, as is the vertical spacing.

I'm sorry! I wasn't trying to imply anything. The "T" is obvious like you said and no, I do not know the exact location of "M and G". Don't you mean horizontal, not vertical?

Can anyone confirm if all converts came with the "Mustang" name on trunk as shown in the attached photo or was it an option. Mine has no name on it and I have seen some others without.
It is standard. Marg

Can anyone confirm if all converts came with the "Mustang" name on trunk as shown in the attached photo or was it an option. Mine has no name on it and I have seen some others without.
I should have said the 71s came with the name across the back.

Can anyone tell me the spacing on the letters?  How far from the center of one letter to the center of the next?  Knowing that, I can wheel off the “T” in the center.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Back