71 convertible for sale - 429 CJ

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhhh...the one and only 1971 Boss 429 convertible!

As someone who went through this decision making process a couple years back...

“C” Code (non ram air car), which I believe equates to the “1 of” references in his posting. Definitely a rare car and with $10k in parts puts the actual car price at the $50k range. Lots of options, a plus.

California car, should be a plus...

All in all, I paid less for mine and it also required a complete restoration, but the main original components were still in place: original engine, transmission and rear end.

Last edited:
I remember similar one in Scottsdale several years back for about the same price. I'm wondering if this is the same one. The restoration will cost you 50 Grand and that's what you doing a lot of the work yourself so is the car worth 100k. They had one at auction serval years back that was red with red interior and it didn't sell with a bit of 72k or so. I remember it being thoroughly clean and certainly drivable. Anybody know the number on these things when they're completely done?

Last edited by a moderator:
Who writes this stuff? "Boss 429, 4 valve"???? And NO, it is not worth $61K. Drug abuse is a real problem here.

Terrible ad. Shows a Boss 351 with a newer 429 Boss motor. Then it shows the 71 CJ convertible that needs complete resto.

Very jacked-up ad. All kinda run together.

Ray

I remember similar one in Scottsdale several years back for about the same price. I'm wondering if this is the same one. The restoration will cost you 50 Grand and that's what you doing a lot of the work yourself so is the car worth 100k. They had one at auction serval years back that was red with red interior and it didn't sell with a bit of 72k or so. I remember it being thoroughly clean and certainly drivable. Anybody know the number on these things when they're completely done?
I have watched for these going through the major auctions the past few years and they don't... there just is not enough of them around and/or they are being kept tucked away. 

There were only 42 of these cars made, so if it is all there, you are going to pay unless they are desperate to sell. Based on this starting asking price, this is not the case.

The price being asked is solely due to the rarity of this specific model. I prefer the Ram Air option personally but would have considered this car at the $35-40K range as is sits today as long as the body was sound (90%+ original), no accidents and the major drivetrain components were there. That's with out my taking any drugs...

As for restoration costs, I think you are close as long as you can do the body and paint to a high level.

I have the red one with the red interior.   Fully restored and I paid $75,000 for it.  Few things restored incorrectly, but nothing that I can't correct.

View attachment 39249

I have the red one with the red interior.   Fully restored and I paid $75,000 for it.  Few things restored incorrectly, but nothing that I can't correct.
Nice!  :D

I think that will prove to be a great investment.  Beautiful car!

I agree with the above statement. I think $75K for Motorcity's car was a great deall and it will soon be worth $125K.  Color is very important to me as far as value. I'm not crazy about white cars. BUT that 429 car shown has A/C, Power windows, and black interior. Very nice option list even if not a Ram Air car. I would have to paint that car grabber lime if I bought it. I would say that $40K would be a fair price IF the important parts were there and the body was rust free and the extra parts are really worth $10K. . Maybe up to $45K. I need to post pics of my 72 Bright Blue R-code convertible. I would never take less than $125K for it.

I agree with the above statement. I think $75K for Motorcity's car was a great deall and it will soon be worth $125K.  Color is very important to me as far as value. I'm not crazy about white cars. BUT that 429 car shown has A/C, Power windows, and black interior. Very nice option list even if not a Ram Air car. I would have to paint that car grabber lime if I bought it. I would say that $40K would be a fair price IF the important parts were there and the body was rust free and the extra parts are really worth $10K. . Maybe up to $45K. I need to post pics of my 72 Bright Blue R-code convertible. I would never take less than $125K for it.
I am waiting for more photo's of the white one.  The guy said he was out of town for two weeks and will send them when he gets back.  We'll see if he will budge on the price.

I am waiting for more photo's of the white one.  The guy said he was out of town for two weeks and will send them when he gets back.  We'll see if he will budge on the price.
I'm looking to buy a 71  429 convert....thanks

As someone who went through this decision making process a couple years back...

“C” Code (non ram air car), which I believe equates to the “1 of” references in his posting. Definitely a rare car and with $10k in parts puts the actual car price at the $50k range. Lots of options, a plus.

California car, should be a plus...

All in all, I paid less for mine and it also required a complete restoration, but the main original components were still in place: original engine, transmission and rear end.
hi pastel blue  , would you consider selling your car ? thanks

Well, I see the white 429 convertible sold. I'm curious if anyone on this site bought it and if the seller ever came down on the price. I should have called the seller just to get more info, even though I'm not in a place in my life where I can buy a car at that price needing a full restoration. I'm curious as to what parts were included with that $10,000 parts list. I'd kill myself if I found out it was a bunch of NOS parts and not just repro stuff. I'm also curious as to how much work the car really needed. Body and rust repair is the hardest part, and being a California car it shouldn't need much. Maybe I'll buy it from the current owner after it is restored and all the hard work is done. My problem is the white color. Call me crazy, because I am, but I think that car is screaming to be painted Panther Pink or Grabber Lime with that black top and black interior! I did two in Panther Pink and they looked incredible. I'll try to post pics.

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1034974/1971-ford-mustang-429-boss-for-sale-in-scottsdale-arizona-85254

I sold this one to a lady attorney in Houston TX and she was so happy with it! I built another just like it for myself and it burnt up in a shop fire (unfortunately, I had no insurance, and the car was a collection of the best NOS parts collected over 20 years. We're talking NOS rim blow steering wheel, power windows with all NOS bezels, a flawless black interior snagged from a 4000 mile car, etc.). Luckily the rebuilt motor was out of the car stored somewhere else at the time. In all honesty I probably could not do such a rare car in a non Ford color, but I could definitely do it in Grabber Lime. Heck, I even think Bob Perkins took one of the lowest mile Boss 351s in the country and changed the factory color to Red!

Back