71 Cougar 429 Clone

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All

Since Mercury only built 448 71 Cougars with 429's, and only about 25 have been found, I'm having a hard time getting information about this family of car with a 429 installed.  I want to build a passable-looking clone...doesn't have to be exact, but close.

My 71 Cougar Base has a 351C-2V in it now, and I have a mildly modified 429 4-bolt main motor that's been on an engine stand now for 10 years.  It has Scotty Johnson ported D0VE heads, a pretty large cam, over .600 lift, and should put out 500 hp.  I have found the correct cast iron exhaust manifolds already, but there are still questions I have about the upcoming swap.

Motor mounts?  Does anyone make a good motor mount for our cars that won't tear apart at the drags?  I'm not fond of chains or funky torque limiters.

Exhaust system?  Is there a mandrel-bent 2.5 inch exhaust system available for factory manifolds?  Stock size is 2.25...I'd like to go 2.5 diameter.

Radiator?  Since I'm making a clone, I'd like to have an original looking radiator, not a modern aluminum one.  The tanks on my one-row radiator are good, and can be re-used.  I've read that the CJ cars use a denser fin count.  Recommendations?

Scoop?  Does anyone have an OEM 71-73 Cougar hood scoop they'd like to sell?  If it's white, that's a plus!

I'll probably think of more questions later...thanks for your help!

Gerard

San Diego area

Welcome from Escondido. Nice ride you have there!
Thank you!  We're in Ramona, sometimes we go to Cruisin' Grand.  Maybe we'll see you there!

Gerard

Here's the interior, original, except for the Bobcat steering wheel.

I miss my M-code 4 speed 71 XR-7. Was a nice car to drive.

Crites Restorations sells the 460 swap mount kits. You'll have a hard time breaking them.

Since your car doesn't have staggered shocks, Flowmaster Mustang tailpipes will work fine. I'd probably have the H and center pipes fabbed locally.

Regarding the radiator, I'd just get myself a new replacement unit from RockAuto and paint it black. They're about $130.

Hemikillers info is valid ! I too saw the radiator and thought WELL "be glad you don't need a 4 speed" because that will prove to be TOO EXPENSIVE to justify in a clone.

I then went back re read and READ so of the things you posted. Too bad you didn't start 10 years ago (but you know that). But maybe not. Right now you have a neat car, nice driver THAT if "blown apart to build" MIGHT turn into a devalued car if not finished/life changes etc etc.

Went I read "would be nice if White" (on the scoop) - I think "does that mean car is too nice to paint" or I didn't plan on painting car (color change) . Again , this goes back to me seeing a nice car , WITH UP BEAT STRIPE seats and thinking "that is a great car" Now I am bias - we once drove from AZ to CT to buy a car like your just for the interior for a 429 car!

Anyway, it is nice to see are being realistic on "clone vs real". We can spot a fake pretty easy these days. Going from SB to BB is a pretty big/expensive thing as so SO much is car specific. If anything take the time to look at Chris's effort on his car - I think this proves you can FIND rare cars and that your money is better protected with such. http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/chris_long%27s_429_cougar.htm

Mark Haas

Welcome from Escondido. Nice ride you have there!
Thank you!  We're in Ramona, sometimes we go to Cruisin' Grand.  Maybe we'll see you there!

Gerard

Here's the interior, original, except for the Bobcat steering wheel.

I go to Grand just about every Friday. I have a friend that lives in Sante that has Cougar parts. He may have the hood scope your looking for. He has tons of parts at his house and at his property in Ramona.

Back