71 Hood black out

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machattack

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang mach 1 351c 4v auto fmx
1968 mustang gt 302 4v 4 speed
The hood Black out is completed. Can you folks look it over and tell me if she looks correct?

Thanks
Rod

Attachments

• 71 mach hood black out.png
    71 mach hood black out.png
    223.6 KB · Views: 6
Honestly it's a little narrow. But with that being said my brother and I went on the narrow side with mine. Just think it looks better. Yours looks really close to mine. Nice job!

Attachments

• IMG_2004.JPG
    IMG_2004.JPG
    541 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2006.JPG
    IMG_2006.JPG
    358.9 KB · Views: 0
I know there are some folks who have reported, likely correctly, that the hood blackout templates from Graphic Express are not factory correct. They may be correct, but I used their template anyway. I also used a template for our "351 RAM AIR" call-out characters so the body color would peer through the blackout, as opposed to using a decal for the call-outs. That said, I think our blackout and Call-Outs look, and I like your blackout as well. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like you used a black satin, as opposed to a flat black with a rough surface texture. That is what we did, PPG Hot Rod Black satin shot over the PPG Sunset Orange body color.

Seems to me pretty much color would look good with these Big Nose Mustangs, with or without the blackout schema. But, the blackout schema sure does help give them a wicked look, in a good way.

Our 1973 Mach 1 on its last da of its deep restoration project:

Hood blackout has been a subject of deep discussion for many years on here.
Below, in "Similar Threads", you'll find some of that discussion. https://7173mustangs.com/threads/what-is-the-right-black-out-hood-paint.39214/
Personally, I like the slightly narrower look of the Graphics Express template. If you're not doing a concours restoration, the proportions are better. The biggest error many make is not getting the dimension from the hood's front edge to the start of the blackout. mine included. However, that error has neve been called out when the car has been judged at shows.
It comes down to what "you like personally". If it looks right to you, then that's what counts. There will always be critics out there
Good job and well done..

You asked and I think it looks too narrow and the front part on the sides look wrong how it transitions to being wider. I'm pickier than most on this. Compare pictures of original ones to yours. If you aren't doing the exact paint formula or a factory original type restoration it may be close enough

Hey Rod - I think it looks great! As someone whose hood is admittedly incorrect myself, I'm in no position to critique. Having been part of the in-depth discussions mentioned by Geoff, it's easy to look at a picture and say, "That's not correct." But at the end of the day, it's almost never going to be exactly as it was done by the factory. The best we can hope for is to get it as close as we can and just call it good, since painting is such a 'final' process unless one wants to spend more money to make corrections if needed.

I actually sometimes sit here and think that I would've been just as happy not going with the TuTone on my hood... but, mine is a factory Ram Air car and came with it, so I felt obligated to keep it.

Bottom line - it looks awesome! Can't wait to see it come back together!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back