71 M code 4 speed bright red/vermilion Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Pantera Group IV
2003 FPV GT
This is the story so far on my Mach 1.

Late last year I joined the forum and put out the word that I was after a red/vermilion Mach 1. The idea was to drive it during a family holiday in the US in February 2014. I wanted the colour scheme as we are big James Bond fans and I wanted to be able to drive through Vegas in a red/vermilion 71. Don65stang contacted me and we discussed a car that he had been restoring and driving. I had sold a couple of cars here - a 1999 Ford Tickford TE50 and a project XC Falcon Hardtop - something like what you guys saw Max driving in the "Road Warrior".

Driver side (5).jpg

A deal was struck and the process of getting the car ready for February began.

A big, big thank you has to be said to Don65. He was honest with me from day one and was able to be trusted with money flowing from Australia to the US. He is a true stand up guy who went a whole lot of extra miles for me.

The car was painted and Don put in a huge amount of effort helping me with the interior reconditioning. The only thing that was not completed was the decals and stripes. The hood blackouts were deleted at my request.

085.JPG

He and other forum members tuned and serviced the car so it would be reliable - it was to be driven from AL to CA after all.

A lot of joint research was put into finding and sorting wheels and tires. I ended up chancing my hand and buying some wheel vintique 15 x 7 and 8s. The big test was to see if trims and caps fitted.

After much searching I found some genuine 15 x 7 beauty trims and sorted through the endless Ebay deals on dog dishes. I used truck ones for the 8 inch rear wheels as the truck dog dishes are deeper than standard.

I obtained some pinstripe whitewalls and it all went together.

The trims do fit and so do the dog dishes. You do have to work the mallet to get the trims on and that is a bit scary.

It was all ready to pick up in early February and here are a few pics from AL.

US photos 382.JPG

US photos 386.JPG

The next installment will be about the drive to Las Vegas via the Southern states and Arizona.

US photos 411.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome story James! This forum is so much more than just a place for us car nuts to talk, it's a place for connection between us and our mustangs, after all they do deserve it. THE CAR TURNED OUT GREAT! I really like the all red theme with lower black accents, and the red interior looks really good. Glad you had the opportunity to make a good drive in a great car.

Oooh. DAF style. Love it.

Incidentally, can you get us a closeup photo of your 15x7" rims, preferably framing the wheel with the fender or quarter? I've been doing a lot of research on the DAF cars along with Bo Durban at ISOMustangs, and I'm convinced that all the cars used in the film ran on 14" wheels.

The far shot you posted of your car is especially effective in showing how much more space there is between the hub cap and 15"-specific trim ring (vs. the 14" trim ring). I'm figuring that that far shot - plus a close-up picture of your Vermilion car wearing the 15" trim rings - could effectively put the speculation to rest.

-Kurt

Woohoo! I've been waiting for you to put up a thread about the car and your journey.

Thank you for the kind words. I miss having this car but it went to a very good new home and a great guy. I'm especially glad it made the 2,000 mie trip without breaking down. I didn't doubt it wasnt up to that long of a trip but you never know what's in store for a cross country drive like that...plus you did it smack in the middle of winter with rocky mountain snow and other craziness. I'm sure some good memories were created.

Not to be a party pooper but that car deserved to be restored to concourse because of all the time and effort I put into finding N.O.S. Parts and the 15x7 wheels and rings caps. I had to buy a whole car on eBay and have it shipped from Ok. to get those wheels and then found a second set of rings for them to make 4 good ones. Not to mention that I went to Santa Barbara Ca. To pick it up 8 yrs before that from Ut. I had to sell it because of a business partnership gone bad(lawyer fees) other wise it wouldn't have left my ownership. I am sad to see it didn't get the restoration it deserved but it is your car now and I wish you the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome story.. glad you are living the dream my friend... My brother and I are just starting on our DAF Bond car.. cant wait!

Also a 351 M code

Does anyone know if the DAF cars had full

Consoles? I assume they did with deluxe interior

But can't really see a console in the movie

I can't speak for the five cars that are unconfirmed, but the only confirmed original from the film (1F05M160938) does have a console:

2zheji8.jpg

-Kurt

I can't speak for the five cars that are unconfirmed, but the only confirmed original from the film (1F05M160938) does have a console:

2zheji8.jpg

-Kurt
Wow. thanks for the pic.. are there more of this car somewhere? We are doing a tribute car... M code Mach with automatic.. I see this car also has air?

Wow. thanks for the pic.. are there more of this car somewhere? We are doing a tribute car... M code Mach with automatic.. I see this car also has air?
That is the Dezer/Keswick car, which was also used for Tournament of Thrills. I have a complete photostream on Flickr of it:

I'd be glad to go by the museum again and speak with the curator to access the car for any additional photos.

-Kurt

Not to be a party pooper but that car deserved to be restored to concourse because of all the time and effort I put into finding N.O.S. Parts and the 15x7 wheels and rings caps. I had to buy a whole car on eBay and have it shipped from Ok. to get those wheels and then found a second set of rings for them to make 4 good ones. Not to mention that I went to Santa Barbara Ca. To pick it up 8 yrs before that from Ut. I had to sell it because of a business partnership gone bad(lawyer fees) other wise it wouldn't have left my ownership. I am sad to see it didn't get the restoration it deserved but it is your car now and I wish you the best.
We have a theme on this site that encourages owners to build their cars the way they want. For a whole myriad of reasons James built it the way he wanted. Sorry you have seller's remorse but once it's no longer yours then your opinion and woulda/shoulda/coulda comments are better not expressed unless the OP asks for such opinions. Let James be happy with what he's done. It's an awesome car and it looks fantastic even if it's not concourse.

Back