71 M code convertible on eBay - something is fishy

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 429
1972 Mustang Convertible 302
i was interested in bidding on this car until I ran the marti report and some things don't add up.  Car is pastel but was originally green.  Interior is blue but was originally green.  Add says it has the originally engine engine and trans but according to the marti report it was originally equipped with a manual trans but it currently has an auto..  Car has AC but wasn't originally equipped with AC.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F162759136552

To many questions for me to take a chance on this one.

Buyer beware.......

Ummm, Run away! Seller obviously has no clue as to what he is selling. Way to many ????? Stripes are all wrong and spoiler and grille are sagging just the obvious....

Price looks good and reels you in, when you get deeper into it the deeper into it you get.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the fact that the speedo reads 110 mph and the tach needle is more than half missing.

I didn't see a link or a picture of the Marti Report.

i ended up buying one as the seller couldn't provide either it or the door tag info.

I posted it under the Marti reports as I couldn't figure out how to post a .PDF here.

He is also flipping the car and has owned it for less than a week.

Couldn't you tell by the feedback and  video?   youtu.be/8HWKdoPDpIQ  LOL

I lived in Vegas for 7 years............you could drive around and see all the cars purchased with "winnings" over the years in back yards and driveways.    At 21 I didn't have money to buy BUT these guys are clearly doing WHAT EVERYONE should do IMO. 

Get you kid, knock on doors on Sunday...asked if they have any cars sitting (or know of any) for sale.  From the pricing of the cars sold it looks like THEY don't kill themselves on profit by over investing.   RATHER just a try to triple money.    

Mark

PS  $4K in Phoenix 2006  ($1000 in stripes, spoiler and used magnums)  $16K at auction 2005

Hay Mark .... I know the M code part caught your eye................BUT was built by the prior owner as you can see in the SALE from 2013.    Here  http://www.usedcarsfsbo.com/asp/Item.asp?soldid=142568&make=Ford&theday=2%2F6%2F2013    

Mark

How is this car a ONE OWNER?  And  car with 60k original miles that has had so much changed????

Gets more fishy!!!!! LOL                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Ray
I would guess it was a rebody - The M code 4 speed was probably wrecked / rusted beyond repair but had a good title - the 71 automatic convert was good but boring.  Take a weekend and BAM!  You now have an M code convertible.

Why change the color from green to pastel blue?  Who has ever changed over to a blue interior on purpose?  Why get rid of a 4 speed?  Especially on a low mileage car.

If it is not a rebody then they did an outstanding job recreating a factory correct tired pastel blue paint job.  LOL

I have a 71 M Code Ram Air C6 Convertible / Numbers Matching / Marti Report verified that we are working on this winter.  FUN!

Son of Paul

Also it doesn't have cutouts for the exhaust tips in the rear valance, so it probably was a single exhaust at one time. Not necessarily but worth looking into.

And that top can go straight into the trash the way it is wrinkled.

I just spoke to the guy selling the car and he says the add that Mark posted is fake!!!!  He denied everything.  

I feel bad for the new owner.......
Wonder how long before the ebay listing gets pulled?  Still up with 2 hours left to go.  10K is the high bid.

The law is funny - One could buy the car, then prove it is fake, sue for damages, damages = loss of value between what a low mileage M code convert is worth compared to what a clapped out blue F or H code automatic is worth.  Should be an easy 10K difference.  Should be an easy win for any lawyer.

I would ask for the damages and demand to keep the car just for giggles.

Son of Paul

Sold for $12,100
Even not possibly not being a legit car - $12,100 seems fair for what it is.   I would be worried that if the title does not match the car and there could be issues down the road.

Easy enough to confirm - as per the advertising - the vin under the fender and on the back of the block should match identification number from the ad.

We should try to get the new owner to join the group - I would love to know the final story about this.

The high bidder is a ZERO rating person who just became a ebay member. :whistling:

I wonder if he did have a change of heart after seeing that there was documented history of the car which contradicts what he has advertising. If so kudos to him.

Also should mention that I love this site and the knowledge that's here.

How is this car a ONE OWNER?  And  car with 60k original miles that has had so much changed????

Gets more fishy!!!!! LOL                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Ray
I would guess it was a rebody - The M code 4 speed was probably wrecked / rusted beyond repair but had a good title - the 71 automatic convert was good but boring.  Take a weekend and BAM!  You now have an M code convertible.

Why change the color from green to pastel blue?  Who has ever changed over to a blue interior on purpose?  Why get rid of a 4 speed?  Especially on a low mileage car.

If it is not a rebody then they did an outstanding job recreating a factory correct tired pastel blue paint job.  LOL

I have a 71 M Code Ram Air C6 Convertible / Numbers Matching / Marti Report verified that we are working on this winter.  FUN!

Son of Paul
I think you might have hit the nail on the head there.  I was looking at the pics and thinking "why would someone fake this car, I mean shots in the trunk and things make it look like it was originally pastel blue, and nothing else about it is exceptional.  If the Marti says green/green this doesn't make any sense."

Of course if that's what it is there has to be more to go by then the tag and vins aren't that easy to swapj on these things... right?

Hmmmm.......

The official VIN moves with the dash.

The door sticker can be purchased from Kevin Marti.

The metal under the fender with the VIN often is rusted away and gets replaced. 

The engine VIN could be removed and restamped but the hard part would be to find a correct block with the correct casting date along the correct machining date all to fall just before the build date of the car.  

Other than the block it does not seem all that hard.

- Paul
I think you might have hit the nail on the head there.  I was looking at the pics and thinking "why would someone fake this car, I mean shots in the trunk and things make it look like it was originally pastel blue, and nothing else about it is exceptional.  If the Marti says green/green this doesn't make any sense."

Of course if that's what it is there has to be more to go by then the tag and vins aren't that easy to swapj on these things... right?

Back