71 Mach 1 Headliner Finished Detail

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
70 Maverick Grabber w/351W & Toploader
71 Mach 1 w/ 429 & T56
...and for my third post for the night (as you guys might guess, I've not done too many of these Mach 1 interiors), I'm looking for some pics that show how the finished headliner is supposed to look after installation. Pics can show with or without interior headliner trim installed. I'm also really interested in how things are supposed to look in the area of the door seal/roof rail exterior trim/tack strip area. If anyone has a few good pics, please send.

Thanks,

Marc

Here’s my freshly installed headliner pictures.

Attachments

• 090352CF-3B95-43D7-9A38-64A4ED23B175.jpeg
    090352CF-3B95-43D7-9A38-64A4ED23B175.jpeg
    463.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 4E92C2BB-B357-4709-B42E-C64332DFD166.jpeg
    4E92C2BB-B357-4709-B42E-C64332DFD166.jpeg
    652.4 KB · Views: 1
  • E207E39E-6B65-4E20-A067-8A56246181A3.jpeg
    E207E39E-6B65-4E20-A067-8A56246181A3.jpeg
    896.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 153F7BC4-5BA7-4927-AF21-A2245C2D6B27.jpeg
    153F7BC4-5BA7-4927-AF21-A2245C2D6B27.jpeg
    646.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 195625DD-4EF1-4E00-AA94-9E786E6EF220.jpeg
    195625DD-4EF1-4E00-AA94-9E786E6EF220.jpeg
    485.9 KB · Views: 3
Marc,
I can take some detailed pics of my car's roof trim and either post here or email to you.
What I will say is to make sure the quarter windows are adjusted as close as possible to the body. Mine are fixed quarter windows, so we sealed them so no water can get in. This was a major problem on original quarters. I had this problem on my 72 Q code, leading to the only rust holes on the entire car.
Actually, my body guy sealed up the entire trim. A good idea at the time, but I get this infernal squeak now because I believe the screws are too tight. The repop rubber seal strip that is placed between the two pieces, is not too good.

EDIT:
I tried to take a few pic in the garage, but the light is not good and the pics are even worse. Sorry pal.

Last edited:
Nice and tight. I had a few lines left in mine mostly toward the back window & just noticed last night that they are almost gone. Did you also apply heat? You can also cut small pieces of the Jiffy trim (snap on windlace) instead of the clothes pins. The clothes pins I had wouldn't hold much pressure.

Beautiful Mark!

Kevin.
Mark, that looks Fantastic! I rough installed mine over the weekend and I had a tough time getting all of the wrinkles out / getting it tight like this. I will be doing the gluing this upcoming weekend - I figured I'd give it some time in position to "relax". In the areas where the headliner wraps around a flange (either around the tack strips or the windshield flanges), do you put glue on both sides of the flange? In the areas of the windshield flanges, does the headliner wrap and glue to the exterior surface?

Marc

I put mine in using the windlace as well (instead of clothes pins). Also had all of the trim pieces, glass, and drip rails out of the car. Went in very easily.
headliner1.jpg

headliner2.jpg

For just a tiny bit more head room, I recommend putting the stringer rods into the upper holes at each location.

+1 with the wind lace. I started from the rear and pulled it tight to the front. From there I pulled it tight from the sides doing a little on each side at a time working again from rear to the front. I left it sit for a few days and repeated the process. I have no winkles and a nice tight headliner. Something else for anybody reading this. Put the screws for the visors, halo, dome light and coat hangers in before you put in your headliner. You will be able to feel them once it is installed and just make a small slit to expose them. It will save you a ton of time trying to find the holes if you don't.

+1 with the wind lace. I started from the rear and pulled it tight to the front. From there I pulled it tight from the sides doing a little on each side at a time working again from rear to the front. I left it sit for a few days and repeated the process. I have no winkles and a nice tight headliner. Something else for anybody reading this. Put the screws for the visors, halo, dome light and coat hangers in before you put in your headliner. You will be able to feel them once it is installed and just make a small slit to expose them. It will save you a ton of time trying to find the holes if you don't.
Thanks for the input. And a good pointer on the screws. I had a guy come to my house to put my headliner in my 70 Cobra and he put all the screws in like you said. Made finding where the holes are easy.

Good catch, Kilgon. I forgot to mention that - it worked wonders for me when I did mine.

Back