'71 Mach 1 outer headlight trim rings

bac

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Hi all,

Took the headlight trim rings off today (the decorative outer ones, not the ones that actually secure the headlight) to paint them black.  Noticed they were only held on by one screw and when I put them back on they weren’t tightly secured to the grille any more.

Took them off again for a closer look, turns out there is a small tab at the bottom of each ring that fits into a slot in the grille plastic.  However by this stage there was no sign of anything that would hold that tab at the back of the slot to keep the ring tight, so there was either nothing there to start with or whatever it was (spring clip, etc.) had got lost in the removal process.

Any idea what should be there? Have tried Googling without success…

luxstang

VIP Members
Staff member
Site Supporters
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Nope, I have exactly the same issue. The fit is quite wobbly. I haven't lost one so far so I guess it's ok but it strikes me as odd that a part should be held in place by a screw and lots of good luck only.

kcmash

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1, Grabber Blue w/Argent stripes. Original 2V 351C Auto, Tilt, rear defog, Black Comfortweave Interior. Under restoration. Original colors, 4V 351C, 4-Speed, Spoilers, Magnums, Ram Air. All Ford parts.
Maybe that is why so many have come up missing over the years.

kcmash

NOT A T5

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
Gotta be aware that there are RH and LH rings. On my car I later found out it had 2 right hand rings.

Omie01

Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
There is a left and right, and yes, ONLY 1 screw. The tab on the bottom does very little to hold it in place. But they do Settle after a while. And yes they are originally like a dark charcoal color, but I just painted mine satin black.

Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
When I went to my bin with Grill parts I found a left and right one was black and one was charcoal. Maybe it depends on the package the car came with. I have some pictures. One screw and a locating tab on the other side 180 deg. from screw.

David

More

bac

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Yep, have both correct left and right rings (confirmed by part #s underneath) and tabs are in place.

Where the tabs slot into the grille, the slot is much larger than required to fit the tab so it doesn't really do much in terms of holding the trim ring firmly in place. Either I have an aftermarket grille with slots that are too deep or there's meant to be something that fits into the slot to help hold the tab in place.

Will try to get a pic to illustrate what I'm on about.

Last edited by a moderator: