'71 Mach 1 outer headlight trim rings

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bac

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Hi all,

Took the headlight trim rings off today (the decorative outer ones, not the ones that actually secure the headlight) to paint them black.  Noticed they were only held on by one screw and when I put them back on they weren’t tightly secured to the grille any more.

Took them off again for a closer look, turns out there is a small tab at the bottom of each ring that fits into a slot in the grille plastic.  However by this stage there was no sign of anything that would hold that tab at the back of the slot to keep the ring tight, so there was either nothing there to start with or whatever it was (spring clip, etc.) had got lost in the removal process.

Any idea what should be there? Have tried Googling without success…

Nope, I have exactly the same issue. The fit is quite wobbly. I haven't lost one so far so I guess it's ok but it strikes me as odd that a part should be held in place by a screw and lots of good luck only.

Maybe that is why so many have come up missing over the years.

kcmash

There is a left and right, and yes, ONLY 1 screw. The tab on the bottom does very little to hold it in place. But they do Settle after a while. And yes they are originally like a dark charcoal color, but I just painted mine satin black.

Yep, have both correct left and right rings (confirmed by part #s underneath) and tabs are in place.

Where the tabs slot into the grille, the slot is much larger than required to fit the tab so it doesn't really do much in terms of holding the trim ring firmly in place. Either I have an aftermarket grille with slots that are too deep or there's meant to be something that fits into the slot to help hold the tab in place.

Will try to get a pic to illustrate what I'm on about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back