’71 Mach 1 Resto Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have rust under the battery tray, a nice hole in there. I just want to weld a patch in there, what you did was the right way to do it, but boy what a pain in the arse job that is.
Yeah it can be a pain but mine wasn't rusty but mangled from a previous fender bender and pounded staight-ish so I decided it was a more complete repair than trying to straighten more and bondo over and refinish, and probably less brain damage in the long run

Nice progress!!
What have you used for the upper reinforcement of the apron?
Bit late to the party, but if you look for the battery support, there's a guy that reproduce them and they are real good (better than the original ones).

I would love to buy a new one if you can get me the information on it please. Mine is solid but bent up pretty good like the front apron panel itself was. Also I cut through it a little when I was cutting out the front apron panel. I was planning on straightening out and welding up but if someone reproduces them and I can get a new one I would prefer that. Thanks

Nice progress!!
What have you used for the upper reinforcement of the apron?
Bit late to the party, but if you look for the battery support, there's a guy that reproduce them and they are real good (better than the original ones).
My upper reinforcement was straight and had no rust so I drilled out the spot welds and transferred it to the new apron.

thumbnail_image0 (1).jpgthumbnail_image2.jpg

PostalDan is the seller's name on E-bay. At the time I needed one, he wasn't active anymore on Ebay. Instead, he was offering them through the Torino registry. I know @baz70 bought one from him not long ago.
Baz70 posted this url on my thread after he bought one

http://clubs.hemmings.com/cyclonemontegotorinoregistry/parts.html
Unfortunately, I can't open that url from here.

For the top one, there is no repro and if the old one is shot, there is no other option than make one with a L shape piece of metal or square tubing, from tower apron till radiator support. I was able to save both mine.

ah you must have posted while i was writing...
Good you have them. They make a huge diff in stiffness.

Good luck with the hole makings for the fenders! I know that was the most boring part to make (and keep in mind the last one radiator side is inverted for the jbolt!)

ah you must have posted while i was writing...
Good you have them. They make a huge diff in stiffness.

Good luck with the hole makings for the fenders! I know that was the most boring part to make (and keep in mind the last one radiator side is inverted for the jbolt!)
Yes thank goodness mine was okay. I tried to open that link and I can't open it from here either. I am not looking forward to making those fender mounting holes.

hello did someone mention me ? ;) I'm still alive, just shamelessly enjoying another car whilst only spending limited time on my 72 resto.... I will get back to it soonm I promise. tpj7q1mach, just saw your message, appears the link is broken, the guy you need to speak to is Dan, I'll message you his email address.

hello did someone mention me ? ;) I'm still alive, just shamelessly enjoying another car whilst only spending limited time on my 72 resto.... I will get back to it soonm I promise. tpj7q1mach, just saw your message, appears the link is broken, the guy you need to speak to is Dan, I'll message you his email address.
Great thank you!

I welded in the the passenger front apron over the weekend. I am not the greatest welder but it turned out okay and I got good penetration so they are strong. I need to work on making them prettier.

Mach 1 30d.jpgMach 1 30c.jpg

Also cut in the holes for the upper fender mounting bolts

Mach 1 30e.jpg

Now a little skim coat of bondo and some seam sealer and it will be ready for paint.

Back