’71 Mach 1 Resto Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome form San Diego. Nice work!
Thanks, the car originally came from Palm Springs, CA not too far from you in San Diego, then the guy I bought it from moved to Vegas 18 years ago where I bought it from. It seems it been a desert car most of it's life

Thanks, the car originally came from Palm Springs, CA not too far from you in San Diego, then the guy I bought it from moved to Vegas 18 years ago where I bought it from. It seems it been a desert car most of it's life
Best place to find them in the desert south west!

Looks like your project is moving along nicely. I did a similar replacement on mine this past summer.

Can someone tell me what these are for? I am guessing they are some sort of tooling fixtures or something to do with
manufacture/assembly.
1646058469611.png

Looks like your project is moving along nicely. I did a similar replacement on mine this past summer.

Can someone tell me what these are for? I am guessing they are some sort of tooling fixtures or something to do with
manufacture/assembly.
View attachment 60212
They are - for tank drop in at the factory. But normally they are on the underside of the trunk pan ...

Oh, that's what they are for. I was wondering that too. I was just putting them back on in the same place they were because they were there but had no idea why they were there.
They are on the underside of the trunk pan actually, that picture is of the pan upside down on a body horse when I measured out the locations to weld the underside brackets on before I install the pan. I figured it's easier to weld down than up.

Oh, that's what they are for. I was wondering that too. I was just putting them back on in the same place they were because they were there but had no idea why they were there.
They are on the underside of the trunk pan actually, that picture is of the pan upside down on a body horse when I measured out the locations to weld the underside brackets on before I install the pan. I figured it's easier to weld down than up.
Then it's all there where it should :)(y)

I got the front aprons finally done and in last coat of primer over the weekend. Now just need engine compartment seam sealed and the final coat of paint and I can reassemble the suspension, steering and brakes with all new wear components.

Mach 1 30h.jpgMach 1 31c.jpg

Also got the trunk floor welded in and a coat of primer on it. I also welded in my new trap door bumper brackets that I made. They look pretty good I think considering I could not find them in reproduction and had to make them myself, they turned out okay.

Mach 1 58d2.jpg

Last edited:
Back