’71 Mach 1 Resto Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gave the engine compartment its final coat of paint today so I can finally start reassembling the front suspension steering and brakes. This was only twenty minutes after I sprayed it I am expecting it to dull down a little more when it is cured.

View attachment 60756View attachment 60757View attachment 60758
Great job! I recently rebuilt the engine and trans in my 71 and during the process I replaced the two front side aprons. My first metal work but I had a good friend provide me guidance. Thanks for the great pics.

Attachments

• F17566A7-D64F-4855-82B8-410E93E006B4.jpeg
    F17566A7-D64F-4855-82B8-410E93E006B4.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 30
Great job! I recently rebuilt the engine and trans in my 71 and during the process I replaced the two front side aprons. My first metal work but I had a good friend provide me guidance. Thanks for the great pics.
That looks great! Hopefully in about 6 weeks that's what my engine will look like.

I finally installed the drivers coil spring and finished up suspension on that side. So glad the coil springs are behind me.

Mach 1 236.jpg
Mach 1 235.jpg

It's good to have it on all four wheels again. Now I need to get back to body work until the engine gets back from the machine shop.

Mach 1 238.jpg

I picked up these Boss 351 valve covers for my Cleveland build today.

Mach 1 156a.jpgMach 1 156c.jpg

They need a good cleaning but should look great on my engine when I get it back! Engine is supposed to go to the dyno in the next week or so and then it can come home and get installed, can't wait.

Picking the valve covers up is the most I have done to the car in about a month or more, been too busy getting stuff ready for my son's wedding last Saturday. That went off smoothly, so now I can get back to work on the Mustang. Hopefully, I will have some progress pictures to post soon.

I picked up these Boss 351 valve covers for my Cleveland build today.

View attachment 63626View attachment 63627

They need a good cleaning but should look great on my engine when I get it back! Engine is supposed to go to the dyno in the next week or so and then it can come home and get installed, can't wait.

Picking the valve covers up is the most I have done to the car in about a month or more, been too busy getting stuff ready for my son's wedding last Saturday. That went off smoothly, so now I can get back to work on the Mustang. Hopefully, I will have some progress pictures to post soon.

Awesome find, congratulations!

I finally installed the drivers coil spring and finished up suspension on that side. So glad the coil springs are behind me.

View attachment 62198
View attachment 62197

It's good to have it on all four wheels again. Now I need to get back to body work until the engine gets back from the machine shop.

View attachment 62200

View attachment 62198
View attachment 62197

View attachment 62200
Nice work.

I have cleaned up my Boss valve covers and I am thinking I might paint them cast coat aluminum. I have used this paint before on aluminum parts I want to stay looking new but wasn't sure about these valve covers. I have used aluminum brightener acid 3 times and this is as clean as they are going to get I think.

This is how they looked when I bought them
Mach 1 156a.jpg

This is after one cleaning
Mach 1 156b.jpg

This is after two more cleanings with the aluminum brightener
Mach 1 156f.jpg

I was just looking for opinions on whether I should paint them or not. I am going to paint the new intake manifold to keep it looking new as I have done with my other restorations, so if I paint these also they will match the intake manifold more precisely.

I painted this intake on my last resto project with the cast coat aluminum paint before I installed it.
1969 Camaro  (478).jpg

You can polish them, but eventually they will get dull again. You could polish them and clear coat them, but I do not know how well the coating will stick if it is polished.

This is where my personal lack of knowledge comes in to play. I have never really seen any in real life, only pictures, and in the pictures I have seen they appear to not be polished and more of a cast look. Are they supposed to be polished? I am trying to learn what is correct but I am a slow study, I'm afraid.

Here's a picture I found on the web: 1653694293330.jpegI think you have them looking pretty good but if you paint them lightly sand the tops of the fins to remove the paint. You might also consider having them powder coated for a more durable finish. I have had these valve covers several other cars (they were pretty reasonable from Ford back in the day) and they were always bare aluminum. The ones on my '72 have held up well, too. Just need to keep 'em clean.

Here's a picture I found on the web: View attachment 63935I think you have them looking pretty good but if you paint them lightly sand the tops of the fins to remove the paint. You might also consider having them powder coated for a more durable finish. I have had these valve covers several other cars (they were pretty reasonable from Ford back in the day) and they were always bare aluminum. The ones on my '72 have held up well, too. Just need to keep 'em clean.
Thanks for the info, mine look better in the pictures than they do in real life. Maybe I will try cleaning them again and see how they turn out.

I finally got back to work on the sheet metal today. I have been putting this off for a few weeks because I have never welded mid-panel before and was quite intimidated. I am not much of a welder in the first place but all I have done previously is replace complete panels drilling and plug welding.

First I finished the drop down panel install and sectioned in the bottom 6 inches of the outer wheel well.

Mach 1 241.jpg

Then I installed the lower quarter panel patch. This is the part I have never done before, Yikes.

Mach 1 242.jpgMach 1 243.jpgMach 1 249.jpg

I still need to dress the welds up a little more on the outside and on the inside of the quarter panel. That is a project for another day I have had enough fun for one day. It's on the car and that's an accomplishment in my book.

Mach 1 250.jpgMach 1 251.jpg

Once I clean up the welds and add a little filler I think it will look okay. I guess its not bad considering it's the first time I have ever done it . The driver's side is next, it needs the same procedure so I have that to look forward to. Hopefully, the driver's side will turn out better, I must have learned something from doing the passenger side, right?

Here's the driver's side pre-surgery.

Mach 1 253.jpg

Thankfully this is the last of the metal work on the car so no more welding after I finish the driver quarter panel, I hope.🤞

Looks good to me, a little filler and a lot of sanding and it will be good to go!

Latest posts

Back