71 Mach decisions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newold

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Picking up this original car with everything in tact and body appears in great shape. My dilemma is do I restore it as original or make it what I want? I’ve been looking for awhile for a good donor shell and I came across this car. I kinda hate the thought of not keeping it as is because it is complete. I know there are pros and cons both ways.

Just looking for some feed back. IMG_1196.JPGIMG_1166.JPGIMG_1192.JPGIMG_1160.JPGIMG_1200.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I look at car (especially people "projects"/plans) I too look HOW COMPLETE/original it is because you can always funk up a shell and build the way you want easier than choosing the wrong car and ending up with a bunch of parts you won't use!

Not everyone restores a car to 100% original, and some cars don't warrant that as the investment will far exceed the value.

People here seem supportive to how you want to repair your car! If you want to experience the red azz, try some of the SVO groups when altering a stock car. Personally I thing the starting point for any vintage car is a marti report and the KNOWLEDGE of what you have.

Look at the Boss 351 I sold a couple of years ago, the "buyer" just wanted to build a 1971 with a Boss 429 motor! He bought my car for half price (because he knew I would separate the drivetrain). When he SAW it was the matching motor and trans the following year he said "if I knew that I would have restored it as a Boss 351" .....was too late then,

Mark

What engine is it? That car is just am my '71 will be some day if / when its done. Love it.

It’s a H code 351

When I look at car (especially people "projects"/plans) I too look HOW COMPLETE/original it is because you can always funk up a shell and build the way you want easier than choosing the wrong car and ending up with a bunch of parts you won't use!

Not everyone restores a car to 100% original, and some cars don't warrant that as the investment will far exceed the value.

People here seem supportive to how you want to repair your car! If you want to experience the red azz, try some of the SVO groups when altering a stock car. Personally I thing the starting point for any vintage car is a marti report and the KNOWLEDGE of what you have.

Look at the Boss 351 I sold a couple of years ago, the "buyer" just wanted to build a 1971 with a Boss 429 motor! He bought my car for half price (because he knew I would separate the drivetrain). When he SAW it was the matching motor and trans the following year he said "if I knew that I would have restored it as a Boss 351" .....was too late then,

Mark

That’s why I’m asking for input. I don’t think I can do a resto mod on a complete original car. May have to pass it on to someone who wants everything original. I just believe I have to keep it original

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I like that the car is so original, but it obviously will need a fair amount of work, so it won't be original when you're finished.

My 71 is an F-code car with even fewer options than yours. Given that I'm past my "boy racer" stripes/spoilers/loud muffler phase, I wanted it low key, so I painted it as it came from the factory, no stripes, no spoilers and left the hood body color, as it's not a ram air car. The C-4 went to the swap meet and in it's place is a toploader. I'm building a 351C-4V engine that should be going in some time next year. I did upgrade the interior to the Mach 1 sports interior, as I was spoiled with previous cars.

+1 on what Hemikiller on the interior upgrade. Paint it any color that was available that year, same with interior color and steering wheel.  If you keep the lower side chrome don't put side stripes on the car. Upgrade/restore the steering, suspension, wheels, and brakes as you desire. Don't make body and interior changes that would be difficult or expensive to change back to stock. I'd keep the 351C as the base for the engine. Build the drive train to match engine characteristics. Have a plan for the entire car before you do, or but, anything. It will save you time and money.

Good luck with the build.

Chuck

Looks like a really good find, especially if it doesn't need a ton of metal work. I would lean towards making it how you want it. I don't know what that is, but if a stock h code isn't what you had in mind, why go to the trouble and expense

of restoring it that way?, maybe set the original engine trans aside, build a healthy Cleveland , overdrive trans, some suspension mods etc. Or possibly sell it at a profit now. But then you have to hunt up another one. Either way good luck with your project

Ok lets be honest, It's just a "H" code. I can say this because I have a 71 H code Mach 1.  At best the value of this car fully restored to original is around 25k. 

So with perches price and restoration I'm sure you will hit that 25k mark quick and then some. For your bang for your buck keep it true to it's roots but make it your own. If it was a "M" code it would be a different story.

What I see with this car is what I started with. A good solid foundation to build off of not a cream puff to preserve. I was in the same boat,gave it allot of thought as well. I decided to keep it loyal to the breed but make it a nice driver. Good luck with the build.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back