'71 Mustang Convertible Restoration

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My Car
71 convertible
Hello All!

I am in the midst of restoring my '71 convertible. I have owned the car since 1980, when I purchased it from a school teacher. It was a bare bones car, with a 6-cylinder engine and 3-speed manual. The engine was seized and water had overflowed the gutter below the convertible top, rusting out the taillamp panel and the fenders behind the rear wheels. The jack fell out of the trunk on the tow home. At the time I was more interested in getting the car running and preserving it, that I replaced the engine with a remanufactured 250 and had the rust repaired and the car repainted. Fast forward 25 years and the car was ready for another restoration, this time more complete.

2e0pbv7.jpg

Since it was a base car, no significant options and not numbers matching, I decided to build the car I wanted. I stripped the car to the body shell in 2005 and sent it off to Bremseth Body Shop in Wykoff, MN for painting. It took awhile, but they did an outstanding job. The car is now back from the shop and is ready for reassembly.

1533e3p.jpg

Grabber Blue with Argent stripes buried in the clear coat. Chrome was replated by AIH in Dubuque, IA. The car will be reassembled with a slightly built up 302, 4-speed close ratio top loader, black top and white interior. I am adding A/C, front disc brakes, power steering and gages. The goal is to build it like Ford would have had they made a Boss 302 convertible in 1971. I will be using OEM parts as much as possible. I was lucky enough to come across a second car that was built within 2 weeks of mine that has been a good parts donor.

Looks good. Welcome from Florida.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Welcome from the Sunny Okanagan Valley British Columbia,Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back