71 Mustang Coupe Driver Side Door not latching on primary latch?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmhouse440

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang Coupe
I'm having an issue with the driver side door latch not latching on a primary latch. It catches on the first latch and doesn't catch on the last one. It kind of bounces back. I'm thinking it's the latching mechanism. It has not been changed yet. Does anyone have pictures of what the door mechanism looks like beyond the door panel?

I also noticed that the door striker does not have the bushing. Will this cause my issue as well? What is the function of that bushing exactly ?

Same question. On my way to CJ pony parts right now!

You can get the striker bolts at your local auto parts store. IIRC, the Dorman # is 38421 on their HELP rack. You can replace the bushings, Dorman makes a 38424 kit with them in it. Not sure if they are correct or not. You'll have to press the bolt out of the washer, and then back in.

The striker bolts are threaded into a movable heavy plate in the B-pillar.

the usual cause of the missing broken parts are due the sagging door hinges. The plastic bushings will work for a bit if that's the issue. Check them by lifting up on the door while open.

Yea, I rebuilt both sides of my hinges, had a hell of a time getting the door to property close, and now I know why. Many replacement sets on eBay for low $20ish. I think I’ll just get new ones.

Welcome, Lots of discussion of hinges for our cars. Do a search on the site. Also West Coast Classic Cougars Classic has video about getting hinges off without removing the door. I need door bushings on my car. But I'm opting to remove fender. BTW welcome I also live in the Valley.

Back