'71 Sportsroof

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Mac

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sportsroof
As I stated in my intro I recently acquired a '71 Sportsroof with a rather unique option, a vinyl top. I know that just under 24K cars were produced with the Sportsroof option (non-Mach 1) and that probably 12-13% of all roughly 150K cars had a vinyl roof. What I cannot find is how many Sportsroof cars had the vinyl top option.

473305803_o.jpg

I do understand that some cars had the vinyl added either by the dealer or by a local shop and I will get a Marti report when the car gets here and I can get the VIN. Just from what I see in the pictures I have it does appear to be a factory top.

So, anyone know?

Mac

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! I like it! I've never seen full vinyl top on a fast back either, but it looks cool! I have a 72 coupe with a vinyl top and I plan on keeping it that way!

I recently acquired a '71 Sportsroof with a rather unique option, a vinyl top. I know that just under 24K cars were produced with the Sportsroof option (non-Mach 1) and that probably 12-13% of all roughly 150K cars had a vinyl roof. What I cannot find is how many Sportsroof cars had the vinyl top option.

I do understand that some cars had the vinyl added either by the dealer or by a local shop and I will get a Marti report when the car gets here and I can get the VIN. Just from what I see in the pictures I have it does appear to be a factory top.

So, anyone know?

Mac
Zero - on a production basis.

Not a Ford option, but I'm sure if it would sell the car, the dealer would roll it down to an upholstery shop and have it put on. Same thing as stripes, Magnums, RamAir bits, etc.

mine is a sportsroof mach 1 with a vinyl top option....posted the marti report today on it....but i dont know what it looked like cause it was took off the car long before i owned it...but they are very rare...it made mine 1 of 1..lol

vinyl top showed up on my report....its posted in the marti report section...in my case, my car was orderd from ford with a white vinyl top.

I recently acquired a '71 Sportsroof with a rather unique option, a vinyl top. I know that just under 24K cars were produced with the Sportsroof option (non-Mach 1) and that probably 12-13% of all roughly 150K cars had a vinyl roof. What I cannot find is how many Sportsroof cars had the vinyl top option.

So, anyone know?

Mac

Not a Ford option, but I'm sure if it would sell the car, the dealer would roll it down to an upholstery shop and have it put on. Same thing as stripes, Magnums, RamAir bits, etc.

I now know the truth! The vinyl top may have been a dealer installed option but it was certainly not a factory job!

mine is a sportsroof mach 1 with a vinyl top option....posted the marti report today on it....but i dont know what it looked like cause it was took off the car long before i owned it...but they are very rare...it made mine 1 of 1..lol

vinyl top showed up on my report....its posted in the marti report section...in my case, my car was orderd from ford with a white vinyl top.

So, anyone know?

Mac

To clarify my response, the 71-73 sportsroof was only available with what was called a "3/4 vinyl roof", that covered from the A-pillars back to the end of the drip rail. The 71-3 Cougars had a similar option. The full vinyl roof as above was only available aftermarket.

tc72gold.jpg

people tend to forget the 70s, car customization was Super hot back then, tons of cars were modified through the aftermarket that were done so well they looked factory. Kind of amazing what has been forgotten :)

I was about to comment the same... I didn´t live in the 70´s neither never been to the USA but some of you guys commented what Danny is telling us in here, a few months ago in another thread...

Besides of the common "back then" modifications, I saw some things that looked amazing... The original Gone in 60 Seconds Mach 1 has some, like a blacked out center of a standard hood for example... Not to offend you guys but for me, the standard hood is prettier than the NASA one, besides, it is lighter and with the center blacked out... LOVE IT!

Anyway... The Vinil top Mac has in here looks much more better than the half roof original option in my opinion, by far!... I´m a fan of factory looks but if your car were mine i would be in a lot of trouble trying to decide between keeping it (and making the car as his own history made him) or taking it off and go for the factory specs....

Hemikiller,

Good job explaining - I found this 71 brochure scan from years ago. (when scanned)

I hope it posts well enough to see the factory vinyl top as you mentioned.

Ray

am6tmg.jpg

To clarify my response, the 71-73 sportsroof was only available with what was called a "3/4 vinyl roof", that covered from the A-pillars back to the end of the drip rail. The 71-3 Cougars had a similar option. The full vinyl roof as above was only available aftermarket.

tc72gold.jpg

I have a 1973 Sportsroof with the full vinyl top also. I have had the car since 1982 and am the second owner. I too am wondering if this was a factory option.

[attachment=10996]

I have a 1973 Sportsroof with the full vinyl top also. I have had the car since 1982 and am the second owner. I too am wondering if this was a factory option.

012.JPG

You have to get the marti report to find out for sure...But from what i seen...That full vinyl top like the one you have is a dealer installed or customer installed...Not factory....Doesnt mean thou that yours didnt have a factory top on it at some point...Marti report gets rid of alot of such questons...lol

Feel free to introduce your self on the forums and post some pictures...Bunch of freindly folks here who like to decode and see some pics...We love these years of stangs;)...Inside and out...We like to see options and lack of them ...all of the above

As I stated in my intro I recently acquired a '71 Sportsroof with a rather unique option, a vinyl top. I know that just under 24K cars were produced with the Sportsroof option (non-Mach 1) and that probably 12-13% of all roughly 150K cars had a vinyl roof. What I cannot find is how many Sportsroof cars had the vinyl top option.

473305803_o.jpg

So, anyone know?

Mac
I remember that car!! IMO ...that baby was on Craigslist... considered it me sef! looks like a great car to start.

Back