71 Title

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach1
I bought a car for parts, and sadly what was left went to the scrap yard.

I still have the dashboard which has the vin number. Somebody asked me if I would sell them the dashboard with the the title.

What would some of you do????

I'd tell them no chance in hell. I'd sell them the dashboard (without the title), but both? That sounds like a huge liability issue. I have NO experience in law, but anything could happen and if they can prove that you did that knowingly...ouch!

I still have the dashboard which has the vin number. Somebody asked me if I would sell them the dashboard with the the title.

Just because a person has a dashboard with the vin & title doesn't mean they can use that to retitle another car..What i would be concerned about is if you can be held liable accountable if the person you sell it to commits an act of fraud. I think that's a question to ask a reputable attorney just to cover your butt. I think it's no problem as long as you have some sort of paper work stating what your selling (a dash which is a part ) & something saying the title is for historical or display purpose only & should the title be used in an unlawful way the buyer assumes full responsibility & agrees to hold you harmless ..again check with an attorney.

Just because a person has a dashboard with the vin & title doesn't mean they can use that to retitle another car..What i would be concerned about is if you can be held liable accountable if the person you sell it to commits an act of fraud. I think that's a question to ask a reputable attorney just to cover your butt. I think it's no problem as long as you have some sort of paper work stating what your selling (a dash which is a part ) & something saying the title is for historical or display purpose only & should the title be used in an unlawful way the buyer assumes full responsibility & agrees to hold you harmless ..again check with an attorney.
That's what I was thinking Scott, they could fraudulently register the car and sell it to a third party, which is very, very bad. Then it could possibly come back on MrMach if he even just suspected what was going to happen. Liability is a B****.

To answer your question directly:

If it were me that was asked to sell the dash with the title, the response would be "No."

Hope this helps!

BT

This sound like some car imported that rented a unit from us at work.

These guys would import US cars into Canada, clean and detail them then move them to dealers I would think.

They would do several cars a day.

I always thought this smelled kind of funny.

After 5 or 6 months they closed down and left.

When we cleaned out that unit there was dump truck loads of odometers.

My point is that if it walks like a duck and quack like a duck there is a good chance it is a duck!

I've been getting answers from the troopers at our local DMV registration and theft division on many of these same questions when I was looking into changing my front frame and what to do about the fender VIN not matching the dash VIN. In North Carolina, someone who wants a dash panel with title is getting ready to make a huge mistake.

To change a front frame all that is required is to keep the old fender VIN's in case of inspection and have the new frame VIN documented on the Bill of Sale.

On a parts car with no dash and no title that someone wants to put back on the road. The DMV inspector will come to the house, run the numbers on the fenders to verify it's not stolen, and begin the process of making a new title. When the car is ready to be road worthy registered, another inspection is done and a new VIN is assigned to replace the dash VIN and the inspector does this.

Send you title in to the DMV for a junk/salvage certificate. Then you can sell the dash as a part along with the certificate. The buyer could not register a vehicle with the certificate, but it is possible to do so legally through the DMV, so you would be exempt from any of that! (Just keep a copy for your records)

Good morning Fellows and Thank you for all your responses,

I think it would be in MY best interest just to keep the title and remove the vin # from the dash. If after that he still wants the dash then he can have it.

Back