7173 Forum versus 7173 Facebook

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm an IT guy and have always been active on Social Media but i find the forums contain a better amount of knowledge. Yes, you have to look for it a bit more but FB can be a shit show. You never know who is going to give you bad info, talk crap, or whatever.

Im active on both platforms but now that I think of it, I dont see much on the FB. I am also a part of another 71-73 group called Big Horse that i see and post to quiet often for information. Mostly while im in the garage and need quick answers or specific info. Im newer to the 71-73 models and they are definitely a different beast then the 60s models im use too.

Either way, i use all resources and im very thankful for the forums
Nice to read your comments. They pretty much concur with my onw impression. I too use all resources and at time use other forums, but as a guest. This is the only one I'll be a member of.

Geoff.
They actually made me an Admin on the Big Horse FB group so that group and ours are kinda tied together!  Both groups seem to have good people and quick answers, which is good but I have seen some real sketchy FB groups out there for other cars, trucks and even guns...the people are sarcastic, not very helpful and the admins are often on some kind of crazy power trip and will ban you for no reason!  Luckily, our Mustang groups are quite the opposite!  It kinda seems like overkill to have 2 popular FB 7173 groups but I guess it is good to have variety!

Here is our official Facebook Group in case anyone was wondering!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/7173mustangs/

I tried facebook a few years ago. Not impressed and got tired quickly of hearing how everyone was having the worst day ever so I tapped out. No regrets since. Maybe because I'm older and not into all that social networking but I prefer it that way.

I'm everywhere ! While I try to be a good help on Forums......I find that the lack of effort on the part of FB posts (read, info, location and SPECIFIC QUESTIONS) require me (the helper) to do all kinds of research, detective work and go through many paces to "form an answer" that ISN"T STUPID !!

I state it that way because we all know that on FB the answer to the most precise question of say "ever since my car's battery died I can't keep air in my left front tire, is there a connection?"

On the forum, people tend to build the relationship , try to be good supporters and respect all things. On FB you can have someone that posts a totally random thought "thinking that is a question". The latest was the guy that asked "Does anyone live near Port Huron MI" AFTER 6 replies all anywhere from 20 miles to 200 miles away - we find that he needs someone to drive there to look for his "impounded" car he contracted deliver of TO CANADA in December !! Had that info be in the question - we could have saved alot of time! (Personally I would help, BUT I want to know IF he knew to file GST and export forms ahead of time - not just drive by)

Mark

I'm an IT guy and have always been active on Social Media but i find the forums contain a better amount of knowledge. Yes, you have to look for it a bit more but FB can be a shit show. You never know who is going to give you bad info, talk crap, or whatever.

Im active on both platforms but now that I think of it, I dont see much on the FB. I am also a part of another 71-73 group called Big Horse that i see and post to quiet often for information. Mostly while im in the garage and need quick answers or specific info. Im newer to the 71-73 models and they are definitely a different beast then the 60s models im use too.

Either way, i use all resources and im very thankful for the forums
Nice to read your comments. They pretty much concur with my onw impression. I too use all resources and at time use other forums, but as a guest. This is the only one I'll be a member of.

Geoff.
They actually made me an Admin on the Big Horse FB group so that group and ours are kinda tied together!  Both groups seem to have good people and quick answers, which is good but I have seen some real sketchy FB groups out there for other cars, trucks and even guns...the people are sarcastic, not very helpful and the admins are often on some kind of crazy power trip and will ban you for no reason!  Luckily, our Mustang groups are quite the opposite!  It kinda seems like overkill to have 2 popular FB 7173 groups but I guess it is good to have variety!

The link did not work, but when I responded to your post, it worked. Weird!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm everywhere !   While I try to be a good help on Forums......I find that the lack of effort on the part of FB posts (read, info, location and SPECIFIC QUESTIONS) require me (the helper) to do all kinds of research, detective work and go through many paces to "form an answer" that ISN"T STUPID !!

I state it that way because we all know that on FB the answer to the most precise question of say "ever since my car's battery died I can't keep air in my left front tire, is there a connection?"    

On the forum, people tend to build the relationship , try to be good supporters and respect all things.   On FB you can have someone that posts a totally random thought "thinking that is a question".   The latest was the guy that asked "Does anyone live near Port Huron MI"   AFTER 6 replies all anywhere from 20 miles to 200 miles away - we find that he needs someone to drive there to look for his "impounded" car he contracted deliver of TO CANADA in December !!    Had that info be in the question - we could have saved alot of time!    (Personally I would help, BUT I want to know IF he knew to file GST and export forms ahead of time - not just drive by)  

Mark
Mark, interesting reply. I certainly have come to the conclusion that FB people are a different breed in general. I mean, who cares what person "A" had for breakfast!

As for the guy who wants to know if someone could go find his car, he likely should have hired a broker. You know the hassle I had when I imported my car to Canada and I had the paperwork. That was on the Canadian side by the way. Things have changed since then I'm told, so if I ever import another classic car, I'll pay a few bucks and let someone else deal with it.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Geoff.

The link did not work, but when I responded to your post, it worked. Weird!
Yeah, I saw that...not sure if it a problem with links or just Facebook's HTTPS links?

One thing everyone on Facebook can do is to drop links to the forum occasionally so folks remember to stop in and post here, too!  Maybe share a post from the forum to Facebook once in a while, stuff like that.  It could help generate more traffic to the site and maybe that traffic will stop and post as well!   (I am mainly referring to our Facebook site...other group admins seem to discourage link posting for some reason??  All these sites are out there for one main reason...to help people find information about 71-73 Mustangs!  Not competition!!
I try to do that all the time.  I'm also on both the 7173Mustangs and "Big Horse" FB groups... along with one that has the word 'Clydesdale' in the title.  Whenever I see someone asking for specific information, I usually try to answer their question (if it's something I can help with) and use a thread from the forums where we've already covered said topic to follow-up and provide them with more information, examples, pictures, etc.  I'm hoping they'll get the clue that there is a 24/7/365 repository of all the information they could ever want to know about our cars right at their fingertips... as opposed to asking random folks on FB for some actual 'help.'

I also spend my online time via monitor, mouse, and keyboard - as God (and Al Gore) intended all along.   lollerz

There have been some very interesting and informative replies and comments. It seems to be a mixed bag, but most seem to favor the Forum as the prime source of information. I certainly feel at home here and have learned a lot and benefited beyond belief from the very knowledgeable members. I doubt I would have achieved that from Facebook, although it does have its uses.

So for now, I feel we have settled the discussion, thanks to all for your comments.

Geoff.

The forum is the place to go, as I will not use Facebook. If you want humorous and unconventional posts from me, you'll only find it here on the forum.

I have worked in IT for 33 years, so I have seen every emerging trend, for better or for worse. The 7173 forum is definitely the way to go, no question about it. I have a Facebook account, but I don't share very much at all. It is just to read the comments for sites like my local paper, and a few others. The genie is already out of the bottle and will never go back in again, but in my opinion Facebook and other social media sites are and/or will be the downfall of Western civilization. LOL Remember back when people thought it would be great for everyone's opinions to be posted immediately out there for everyone in the world to see? Well it isn't! And how do these little nerds become billionaires from a site that they originally created in their dorm room? Through selling advertising of course, but also by selling personal information, and then backtracking when they are called out on it. The little guy puts on a suit and sits before Congress (on a phone book no doubt) and apologizes, and then it's back to business as usual.

There's still some interesting, valid comments coming in on this subject. Funny thing is, we don't seem to have heard much if anything from the "Facebook" folk. I'm sure there are many who, like us, visit both from time to time.

For me, I'm on Facebook reluctantly. I do NOT go on public forums or groups and I limit the number of "Friends" to people I know personally and family. Problem is I have zero control on anything I comment on if one of my "Friends" puts it on public sites. And there lies the issue!!

For the most part, I'm staying here, period!

Geoff.

I kinda look at the forum vs Facebook thing like the difference between a group of car guys and a car show. The group will share experiences, offer advice, have a few laughs and in general, have a good amount of respect for each other.

FB groups is like a free car show, where they let anyone in, and the conversations typically follow the path of:

5 posts saying they had the exact same car back in the day and wish they hadn't sold it, but it was a different year, a different color, a straight six and in the end, you find out it was really an AMC Pacer.

23 posts with out of focus pictures of their car and no input toward the OT.

3 posts so badly mis-spelled you don't have a clue what they are trying to get across

4 posts calling out the badly mis-spelled posts

15 posts calling the 4 responders "grammar/spelling nazis"

3 posts with incorrect information

6 posts calling out the bad info

3 posts from the bad info posters, saying "that's how it was cuz I bought it off the delayer's lot like that"

1 post that is actually OT and answers the OP.

I kinda look at the forum vs Facebook thing like the difference between a group of car guys and a car show. The group will share experiences, offer advice, have a few laughs and in general, have a good amount of respect for each other.

FB groups is like a free car show, where they let anyone in, and the conversations typically follow the path of:

5 posts saying they had the exact same car back in the day and wish they hadn't sold it, but it was a different year, a different color, a straight six and in the end, you find out it was really an AMC Pacer.

23 posts with out of focus pictures of their car and no input toward the OT.

3 posts so badly mis-spelled you don't have a clue what they are trying to get across

4 posts calling out the badly mis-spelled posts

15 posts calling the 4 responders "grammar/spelling nazis"

3 posts with incorrect information

6 posts calling out the bad info

3 posts from the bad info posters, saying "that's how it was cuz I bought it off the delayer's lot like that"

1 post that is actually OT and answers the OP.
You're having fun with this!!

Actually you're pretty much right on, all of it.

Geoff...……… and that's "Jeff" to those FB people who can't pronounce it!!

Latest posts

Back