7173 mustang values

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4V. I am with you mate we could buy some very potent muscle from the states for a lot less than a crook XY,even the African 1 have gone through the roof

Ps

4dr XA GTs do it for me there is not a more aggressive styled Aussie car out there they scream mechanical aggression. MY dad brought a XA Gt new it was cheaper than the XY Gt still in the show room at that dealers. Sadly it ended up in the bottom of the Mulgrave river just south of Cairns a week after he sold it. I think you touched on another myth mate rpo83 = phase 4.not true as you know. Your GS would be a rare beast very nice

Last edited by a moderator:
austin i was talking about people that inherit or are given a 7173 mustang they just don't value it like the people that love this style.

i seen on mecum auction a good looking 7173 mustang sell for 9,000 and 8,000 for a good looking ones too.

on this site i have seen members thru out the years complain about parts being too high and they cant afford to stay in this car hobby because its getting expensive,my point is its a hobby that takes money and even if you plan on never selling your mustang i would think you would want your car to be worth something...

i seen camaros and cudas and chevelles that are rusted and need a full restoration go for 14,000 to 18,000

you can find a nice 7173 mustang on ebay or trovit for as little as 8,000 nice one a 10 footer thats drives.

so for me i would like to see a comparsion some day were the price of our mustangs are close in value to other classics

me i love my mustang its not for sale i love it,my kids love it my wife loves it,i have 3 years of me in building it to look as nice as it does.

this is my opinion you don't have to agree, i love all classic cars anyone thats collects pony cars or muscle cars in any shape i don't look down on at all its a great hobby and love.

so for me i would like to see a comparsion some day were the price of our mustangs are close in value to other classics

That will happen in time as public perceptions and attitudes change for the better. It's a slow process though, as old myths give way to new thinking and feelings.

Greg.:)

Strong words there Dana!

Haaaa, well that kinda "if tha truth hurts philosophy" has gotten me into a brawl or a few... some I've won some I've lost but all resulted in me NOT changing my stance regardless of the bruises. :)

::beer::

I've wanted one of these cars for years. I had no idea that there was a negative connotation about 71-73's until I bought mine. And......I could not care less. :)

Like an earlier poster said, I get thumbs up, people stopping me in the street to talk about the car and this weekend at a car show a guy came up to me and said that my 73 was the best car in the show of a few hundred cars of all makes. That is a bit much (there were plenty of special cars) but for a guy to even think that it is amazing. Conversly, one guy looked at the car and commented :"What was Ford thinking?"

I paid a lot for my car but I had seen a lot of not so great ones out there before that. I will never get my money out of it unless the market gets incredibly strong for them and my car decides not to age and deteriorate at all! Once again, I could not care less. And even better this is a great forum with people who not only love these cars but give good advice. I've seen other forums where things deteriorate rapidly.

Hi Ron,

I think that in time, we will see the value of our Mustangs rise. Public perceptions and public awareness always play a big part with values, so it's hard to predict where and when values will change. Economic climates play their part too. I notice that these days, people around the world are seeking to collect lesser known and less popular classic American cars in preference to the mainstream popular models, because they want to own a car that's more different and unique and stands out more than well known more popular models.That will help change the landscape of values in time as well i think, in a positive way.

I was doing a little reserch the other day on Hagerty's website on values, and found their information interesting. How accurate their info is i personally don't know.

http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch

Here in Australia, the values tend to be more expensive, because of all the extra costs involved in bringing the cars out here. For example, let's say you are buying a '72 Mustang for $24,000 American right now. To bring that car to Australia and put it on the road and start driving it around, would cost you an extra $10,000 Australian in fees, charges, taxes etc.

I bought my '73 Vert back in 2011 here in Aus, and paid $30,000 Aus for it. Since i have owned it, i've sunk easily $15,000 extra into doing it up. If i tried to sell my car today, i know i could only ask around $35,000 Aus for it.

I did not buy my car only to look at it as a rising investment. I bought it to enjoy myself, and bring happiness, pleasure and joy to my life.(which it does). What money can you put on that! That's worth a million dollers and more.

Be patient, as values will rise as time goes on.

The reason why i went with my 73 vert is because of the reason Greg mentioned. When i was desiding what to build i was going toa lot of carshows. In doing so i thought If I seen another 67-69 comaro or 65-70 stang i would puke. I wanted something no one else has. Because I'm doing a ground up I'll have some serious cash in this car and the cost of doing this car vs. a comaro would have been the same. I know it won't be worth what i have into it but I look at it like if I drove a new car off the lot with the benefit of no more loss after that.

I've wanted one of these cars for years. I had no idea that there was a negative connotation about 71-73's until I bought mine. And......I could not care less. :)

Like an earlier poster said, I get thumbs up, people stopping me in the street to talk about the car and this weekend at a car show a guy came up to me and said that my 73 was the best car in the show of a few hundred cars of all makes. That is a bit much (there were plenty of special cars) but for a guy to even think that it is amazing. Conversly, one guy looked at the car and commented :"What was Ford thinking?"

I paid a lot for my car but I had seen a lot of not so great ones out there before that. I will never get my money out of it unless the market gets incredibly strong for them and my car decides not to age and deteriorate at all! Once again, I could not care less. And even better this is a great forum with people who not only love these cars but give good advice. I've seen other forums where things deteriorate rapidly.
Well said! I also liked the idea of getting a car that was not overpriced. Something that was a little different off the beaten path but would make a nice looking driver/hotrod. I personally like the cars and the look, in 71 I thought also "FORD HAS RUINED THE MUSTANG. My car had as nice of a body as I've ever seen and for the price I couldn't go wrong. But I think finished its still a car under 25,000.00. I didn't have to spend 30k for someone's fantasy of value. Now I will say I've met up with some folks REALLY over pricing their parts. WHY? Because they KNOW the parts are few and the growing interest is developing.... common supply/demand. As for the attitudes, I've never really comprehended why that exist in classic cars. Hell they are suppose to be FUN not a subject to denigrate another. I guess all the political correctness and forced tolerance aint working!!!!

4V. I am with you mate we could buy some very potent muscle from the states for a lot less than a crook XY,even the African 1 have gone through the roof

Ps

4dr XA GTs do it for me there is not a more aggressive styled Aussie car out there they scream mechanical aggression. MY dad brought a XA Gt new it was cheaper than the XY Gt still in the show room at that dealers. Sadly it ended up in the bottom of the Mulgrave river just south of Cairns a week after he sold it. I think you touched on another myth mate rpo83 = phase 4.not true as you know. Your GS would be a rare beast very nice
Year Luke the XA is without a doubt the best looking GT ever made in this country. Mate would've been great being a young fella cruising around with your dad in a new XA GT. My old man was into his Holdens back then (he had some pretty cool ones as well) but really loves all of my Fords. Sad way for your dad's GT to end it's days (same way a very good mates dad's XY GT went), but so many XA GT's ended their days being stripped out to make XW XY GT look a likes back then. Same thing happened with my XA GS, the original 351, top loader and 9 inch all gone. I originally was seriously going to do a Phase 4 replica, but after thinking long and hard about it, I've decided to sell off the unwanted GT parts and take it back to a stock GS. The car according to Ford is a bare bones GS (not even a radio) so whoever ordered the car new just wanted to go fast, Lol. The car is a genuine GS K code 351,L code top loader, colour U ultra White, trim B black. The only options were seat belts (mandatory) L.S.D (traction lock) twin exhaust, and huge 185 x74x14 radial ply tyres. The body itself is not too bad rust wise, with the worst of it being the tail light panel. The thing that is p***ing me off is the bulls**t prices people are charging for parts these days. That's why I'm trying to find complete cars with as many good parts I can use, then sell off what I don't need and that's the thing, I will start the bidding at a very reasonable price, then the cashed idiots will push up the prices so high that you do feel sorry for the guys on limited funds trying to do up a car. But in saying that I have tried helping people out in the past, by selling them parts at really good prices (because I used to be a sucker and feel sorry for people and trying to help them out) only to find these exact same parts a few days later on eBay starting at least double what I charged them, and in some cases selling for over 10 times what I charged them. That's why when people come knocking on my door now looking for parts (unless they are really,really good mates), I just tell them to keep an eye on eBay in the near future as it may end up on there (usually doesn't though) and its amazing how quickly they go from trying to be your best mate, to swearing and carrying on that you won't sell them anything, as they'll want it for next to nothing anyway.

Bare bones option delete cars are awesome. There was only 1 reason to buy a car like that to go fast. My HG 350 only had 2 options a powerglide and 3.55 gears everything else was deleted including the sidewinder stripes. Sleeper

Bare bones option delete cars are awesome. There was only 1 reason to buy a car like that to go fast. My HG 350 only had 2 options a powerglide and 3.55 gears everything else was deleted including the sidewinder stripes. Sleeper
Everytime I look at that HG350 I feel like I'm on some acid trip trying to figure out which car it is....:D . I bet she should fly with a powerglide and 3,55's. I had a powerglide in my Malibu SS and she would jump out and if you didn't have me by the shift....for gettda bout it.

When buying any kind of investment the profit in a lot of cases in made at the time of purchase. For example, I bought my 1973 Mustang 351 convertible for $7800.00. I'm putting about $2000.00 in upgrades etc. into the car. Based on sold comparables I expect to resell the car for around $12000.00 once I've had my fun with it. The rule of "buying right" applies to most classic cars if you want to make a profit.

Other convertibles from this time period go for a ton...like a Cuda. I think the 71-73 Mustang covertibles are just as sharp if not more so...

Here's the one I'm having restored

Had not seen this thread since I was not a member back then.

Interesting how things change. I grew up with the Mustang. It came out when I was a junior in high school. Lots of people here were afraid of the mustang when it came out. There was an accident involving a brand new one. Some young kids were flying too low and lost it slid sideways into a tree and the car broke into three pieces. I can remember going to the Ford dealer where they brought the pieces into. It was not two feet wide in the center. Tree hit right in the door and of course all in the car died. We all thought a what sorry car to be so weak.

So while working in the race shop in the 67 - 74 years I saw many an engine built for a Mustang. I bought my 73 Mach 1 new and was told by the dealer I was crazy to order will all options that it would never be worth anything. It has sat in the barn since 1982. I was offered 5 times what I paid for the car in 1982 after taking it to a MCA nationals in Atlanta and getting 3rd. place.

I also remember the 1974 oil crisis when you could not get gas and if you had a muscle car you felt like the end of the world was near. If you cannot get gas you didn't want the car. Boss 429 with an extra engine would not bring $1,000. Superbirds and Daytonas for $800. A close friend tried to sell his 1965 GTO 389 tri power 4 speed hardtop for $600 and could not. He kept it and still has.

Then the TV shows and BJ auction came about and the poor mans hobby of fixing old cars went crazy.

We crushed 65 mustang fastbacks because nobody wanted them. You could buy for $600 - $800 running driving with no issues in 1976. I paid $1,500 for an A code 4 speed 65 vert that I also put in the barn and kept. I picked up another in 1980's for $800 a C code auto.

When the wealthy started buying to impress their friends is when it got silly. Even in 1996 I was at a show parked by a man with a hemi cuda he had bought for $21,000 and was perfect, do that now.

A guy in Spindale N.C. had bought up Shelby mustangs when they were going for hundreds and had 14 and sold them all to one man when the prices just started to go up and thought he made a killing. One would sell for more than he got for all of them now.

The price of cars is driven by vanity and nothing to do with the car. It is so someone can say this is mine and you do not have it, lol.

I seem to be lucky when I buy cars and the recent ones can be sold for and double or triple what I have in them. I do not buy to flip but I have sold 5 cars recently because I know I cannot do all my projects and my son is not really interested. He has never gone to the new garage and worked on anything. He says he will one day but I do not think he has the bug like I did. I was always in the garage or in a junkyard looking for that part I had to have or trying something new on my car.

Just like someone posted the video of the 71 Boss 302 today and saying it is a million dollar car, lol. Pure vanity by Bob Perkins to say I have it and you do not. I wonder what he would value the only Boss 429 mid engine mustang they built for.

I have a T-5 1972 Mach 1 Q code 4 speed car sitting in the back yard rusting away. It was crashed in the 70's with 32,000 miles on it but is fixable. Show me another in the U.S.A..  Very rare but not worth anything but the value of the parts. I think that sort of proves my point, rare means nothing to value. The Vanity of one person is the value of your car.

My thoughts on the subject.

When the wealthy started buying to impress their friends is when it got silly. 
IMHO, the wealthy buy cars not only to impress their friends, but also as a tax shelter. Most states have some sort of collector car program that limits the taxable value of vehicles over X years old to a certain value which varies by state. In CT, any car over 25 years old with an "Early American" plate is taxed at a $500 value, regardless of actual value. You can see where this would help the average Joe restoring a classic car in his garage, but it disproportionately benefits those with the means to purchase or restore a vintage Ferrari or said HemiCuda.

When the wealthy started buying to impress their friends is when it got silly. 
IMHO, the wealthy buy cars not only to impress their friends, but also as a tax shelter. Most states have some sort of collector car program that limits the taxable value of vehicles over X years old to a certain value which varies by state. In CT, any car over 25 years old with an "Early American" plate is taxed at a $500 value, regardless of actual value. You can see where this would help the average Joe restoring a classic car in his garage, but it disproportionately benefits those with the means to purchase or restore a vintage Ferrari or said HemiCuda.
Not in Delaware. I paid $800 based on blue book value (listed at 20k) regardless of condition at the DMV to title and register each of my cars.

I am getting ready to sell a 1973 convertible that I have owned for more than 20 years and would like feedback from folks on the forum as to what would be a fair price (possibly the high and low) for this car. Your frank and objective opinion is appreciated, I have a thick skin.

Overview: An early built convertible invoiced on Sept 7, 1972 and shipped on the 15th to Lucas Motors in Burlington, NJ (Philly DSO) on consignment (and according to the invoice it was not for sale).  With a few exceptions, it's a very original stock plain Jane convertible. Numbers matching and fenders, aprons, floor pans, doors, trunk lid, quarters are original sheet metal. I have the Marti Report and Lois Eminger invoices (yes two invoices which are slightly different from each other).

Originally a factory (2B) Red with Black Interior. 302ci with a C4 Automatic, P/S, Power Front Disc Brakes, AM Radio, 8" Rear end, all original Ford Carlite Glass. I bought it from the original owner. One owner since 1994...me. 87k original miles. Engine, Trunk, Interior near concourse show quality detailed. Garage kept all its life and rust free. 

In the late '90s, the trunk floor, rear tail panel, and carpet were replaced, Original NASA Ram Air hood, dual exhaust, dual racing mirrors, front spoiler, and side stripes were added. The car was then repainted, Ford Gold Glow. The carburetor was recently rebuilt, Radiator and hoses, Alternator, Battery, and Belts are new. Mechanically, everything in the car works.

Here is a link to pictures of the car... https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-73-mustang-convertible--27638?pid=278283#pid278283

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and feedback.

Rich

Interesting thread this one and haven't come across it from memory.

I really couldn't care less what our cars are worth but the fact that we can buy a good looking muscle car for a realistic price does it for me.

IMO doesn't matter what you have as long as you like the look of it and the way it drives is more important

If my vehicle's value doubled overnight I would not sell it

Perhaps the fact that I do most of the work myself like many on this forum that I have an emotional investment which overrides any financial considerations

Certainly don't expect a return on my investment apart from the emotional thrill of driving this classic car

I used to own a '65 Hi-Po GT coupe, and a '66 Shelby Gt350, back when nobody wanted them. They were both really great cars and certainly wouldn't mind having either back today, however, today, I own AND DRIVE a '71 Mach 1, and I can tell you that my current Mach is a hell of a lot more car for the buck. The push-pull slave cylinder steering was shitcanned in '71 for the power box Saginaw designed ( so much better than the slave cylinder system ), the 9" rear end is standard, 351C great as-is and has much potential hopped up, and the body, well, the body lines are like NO ONE ELSE'S and really put the three years in a class by themselves in a good way I think.

And.... for me, here's the cool part.....you can talk about the cost of fixing up one of these, but have you looked at what a new Challenger costs???????? That new Challenger , Camaro, whatever, looses 5 grand the minute the front tires roll off the car lot and continues to decline, while nice early cars can either hold, or appreciate with time. I watch the Barrett/Jackson, etc, auctions on TV, and I see a nice muscle car many times, sell for less than I'm sure the guy put into it. So, there's another way to go instead of pondering the cost of doing yours, sometimes you can benefit from another man's loss. Any way you get into cars, muscle cars, if you get into it for money only, you're not a friend of mine. Get into a car because you love it.

Values in the UK have shot up recently. I’ve seen a few 72 Mach 1’s in good condition reach £32,000, unimaginable a few years ago. Any negative perceptions of the car are long gone as the younger generation appreciate the car for what it is.

Back