71Convert Restoration Project Progress

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone, Thought it was time for an update on my 1971 convertible restoration. I have shipped the Mustang off to the body shop. They have removed the engine and tranny and are working on replacing all the metal in the engine compartment first. I have been buying a bunch of Dynacorn sheet metal. By the way, freight shipping prices are in the CRAZY range. Way more than I expected even with combining sheet metal parts in one shipment. Much of the Dynacorn sheet metal is on back order with no date as to when it will be available again! Anyway, below are some pics of where my 71 currently stands. Try and ignore the Camaro in the background.
OMG - that would've made my life SO much easier when I replaced my front clip. Nice work!!

LOVE how you did the dashboard as well - GREAT idea!!

It's been a long while since I posted any progress pics of my 1971 Mustang convertible restoration so here goes. I've been busy over the past few months making progress at home. The shop doing the sheetmetal had some people leave and it took a while for them to find qualified replacements but they are back on track and working on my Mustang again. Hope you enjoy the updates. More to come in the near future.

I refurbished the A/C center vent assembly and the A/C-heater box. The original one had several holes in it so I opted to go with a replacement box and reused whatever original parts I could after cleaning them up. I also labeled he boxes as they appeared originally.

1971 Mustang AC Center Vent - post.jpg 1971 Mustang AC Box - post.jpg

Next, I worked on restoring the steering column. It was almost all there but was really dirty, greasy, rusty and the rag joint was shot. I cleaned everything, removed any rust, painted this with SEM Landau Black and dusted it with Charcoal Metallic rattle cans. Then replaced the rag joint Here's some before and after pics.

BEFORE:
Steering Column Before 1 - post.jpg Steering Column Before 2 - post.jpg

Steering Column Before 3 - post.jpg

AFTER:
Steering Column After 1 - post.jpg Steering Column After 2 - post.jpg

Steering Column After 3 - post.jpg

My original deluxe two spoke steering wheel was completely trashed from sitting outside so long so I needed to purchase another original black one. The replacement had a few small cracks, was dirty and needed a new center horn pad and center emblem so I purchased those. I really cleaned the steering wheel parts then filled the cracks with JB Weld SteelStik. I wet sanded the entire steering wheel then painted the silver section of the center steering wheel pad with SEM Silver and used SEM Landau Black to paint the steering wheel and pad. The restoration pics are below.

BEFORE:
Steering Wheel Before 1 - post.jpg Steering Wheel Before 2 - post.jpg

AFTER:
Steering Wheel After 3 - post.jpg
Steering Wheel After 2 - post.jpg

Last edited:
RIBS,

I was able to pull it by myself. It's not too heavy just LONG. I didn't have to remove the steering wheel either just the gauges and the dash pad and metal upper dash area. I recommend sending your harnesses to Midlife. Does a thorough job and keeps you in the loop!
Randy did my '73 harnesses. you will be pleased

Hey guys. Sorry in the delay for posting my progress pics but I have a bunch to share.

Dash:
Had the dash sandblasted then I primed and painted it. I used rattle can SEMS Landau Black as the base coat and dusted it with NPD's Dark Charcoal Metallic (also rattle can). Took a while to get the charcoal metallic to look right as you only do a dusting from about a foot away and have to let it dry.

I bought a tach cluster that I took apart. cleaned, replaced bulbs and melted blue covers and painted the needles. I also polished the lenses which came out very nice. I added the three center gauges and did the same thing to that cluster. I picked up an original three gauge cluster panel, stripped it, repainted it with SEMS Landau Black and used Molotow Liquid Chrome to add the chrome. Did the same thing on the dash and glovebox panels. I need to topcoat the Molotow chrome as it will dull the more it gets touched. Still figuring that out. Also added an AM radio (was gone when I got the car). The dash and vents (like the rest of the Mustang) were full of years of dust, dirt, mold, leaves and wasp nests. I cleaned up all rusted bolts, vents, wiring harnesses, repaired the vents and added a new glove box liner. Reran and connected up all of my refurbished wiring harnesses (thanks again Midlife).

View attachment 73144

View attachment 73146

View attachment 73147
Amazing work and wonderful details you’ve shared. Thank you so much. One question on your Molotow liquid chrome (which I learned of thanks to your thread)…What did you end up doing/using for your sealer to topcoat it to keep it from dulling?

Very nice! My vert is nearing completion (thread posted here somewhere). Feel free to PM me for phone number to DM me if you have any questions. Mine was taken down as far as it could be. I am looking at a complete basket case 71 vert this wkend to see if I want to bring it back to life.

Amazing work and wonderful details you’ve shared. Thank you so much. One question on your Molotow liquid chrome (which I learned of thanks to your thread)…What did you end up doing/using for your sealer to topcoat it to keep it from dulling?

Thanks Moderator73! I searched many of the model car forums and they suggested using S-02 Chrome Sealer as a top coat for Molotow Liquid Chrome so I bought some. I decided to test it out first on my BELT and PARK bezels as I also used the Molotow Chrome on them. I let the Molotow chrome dry for two months on the bezels then I covered one bezel with one coat of S-02 Chrome Sealer and the other with two coats. They did not dull after putting the sealer on and after handing them. But, a week later the chrome finish started to crack on the bezels so I will need to start over. Not sure if it was something I did wrong. I did brush on the S-02 Chrome Sealer but I have picked up an air brush and will use that for the Molotow Chrome and S-02 Sealer this time. Will let everyone know how it goes. I may try another sealer like Alclad II High Gloss Lacquer if my second attempt fails again.

Last edited:
Very nice! My vert is nearing completion (thread posted here somewhere). Feel free to PM me for phone number to DM me if you have any questions. Mine was taken down as far as it could be. I am looking at a complete basket case 71 vert this wkend to see if I want to bring it back to life.
Thanks cwalker509. Would love to see some pics of the 1971 vert basket case.

Thanks cwalker509. Would love to see some pics of the 1971 vert basket case.
I posted the basketcase pics in this forum. Will need to post a build thread in the next month or so.

We have twin basket case convertibles cwalker509! Glad you are saving that M code convertible. Will check out your build thread now.
Build thread not started yet. But plenty of pics in the forum.

Hey everyone. I have some updated pics of the metal work being finished up on my 71 Mustang convertible. The original shop I brought it to worked on it every once in a while and the restoration work was dragging along. After two years, not much progress was being made. Also wasn't happy with some of the work they had done.

About a month ago, I decided to have my Mustang hauled to another shop. I also rented a U-Haul truck to pick up my sheet metal, engine, tranny, rear, wheels, extra parts, etc., I dropped off the sheet metal and any other metal needed for restoration at the new shop and dragged the rest of the parts home.. My car was pretty much half a shell when it was moved and the new shop had to lift it off the hauler so they could put it on a jig. Glad they were setup for that type of scenario.

Fast forward four weeks and my shell is now rust free and my car looks like a 71 Mustang again! Posted below are the latest pics. Hope you enjoy them. I have a long way to go but I feel like I'm making progress again.

How my Mustang arrived at the shop:
Mustang Shell.jpg

Current status:
Sheet Metal 1.jpg

Sheet Metal 2.jpg

Sheet Metal 3.jpg

Sheet Metal 4.jpg

Sheet Metal 5.jpg

Last edited:
Hey everyone. I have some updated pics of the metal work being finished up on my 71 Mustang convertible. The original shop I brought it to worked on it every once in a while and the restoration work was dragging along. After two years, not much progress was being made. Also wasn't happy with some of the work they had done.

About a month ago, I decided to have my Mustang hauled to another shop. I also rented a U-Haul truck to pick up my sheet metal, engine, tranny, rear, wheels, extra parts, etc., I dropped off the sheet metal and any other metal needed for restoration at the new shop. My car was pretty much half a shell when it was moved and the new shop had to lift it off the hauler so they could put it on a jig. Glad they were setup for that type of scenario.

Fast forward four weeks and my shell is now rust free and my car looks like a 71 Mustang again! Posted below are the latest pics. Hope you enjoy them. I have a long way to go but I feel like I'm making progress again.

View attachment 85372

View attachment 85373

View attachment 85374

View attachment 85375

View attachment 85376
Excellent report! Congrats on the progress!

Looks like this shop knows what they’re doing and taking care of business! It’s really hard to trust other people to the quality work we strive for.

Looks like this shop knows what they’re doing and taking care of business! It’s really hard to trust other people to the quality work we strive for.
It's a shame when we belive in someone that can do the job and in reality, they don't have the tools or the knowledge to pull it off. Glad I was able to get it to a shop that specializes in this type of work.

Back