72 Conv Front End Replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Vert 351C White
Hello,  

Getting my 72 back on the road (after sitting 25 years in my garage:( and looking to replace the front suspension.  Looking for a stock setup, nothing performance.  Looking to replace with a kit, upper/lower control arms, ball joints, shocks, maybe coil spring, etc.   Does anyone have a suggestion on a kit or should I purchase separately?  

Thanks, 

Tony

I always prefer to use MOOG products.  I usually use O'Rielly Auto Parts.

I figure just see who has the best price.  

Can I ask why you want to replace it all?  If the ball joints and bushings are not worn out why go through the expense and the need to re-align.

kcmash

when i did my '66 fairlane i got a master kit on ebay from a seller in new jersey. don't recall name i'll see if i can fine it. the kit was very good and i had an issue with the right steering arm end. turns out someone changed to '67 on that item. called and he replaced it no problems. of course i sent back the one not used..

Thanks for the input. If I can replace the worn rubber, etc as needed that's a great idea. I've had the car since almost new (1975) and now having it running again and stopping. The front end never damaged, just old. I can't remember but probably all original except for the shocks. The ride is pretty rough and sloppy, some of this is due to a worn steering box.

Tony

Rock Auto is your best bet for 90% of what you need. You want to get the Moog brand parts as much as possible, they tend to be the highest quality. There are lots of places that will advertise a "kit", at attractive prices, bu the quality of the parts tends to be so-so. Since you have owned the car since '75, you know what has or hasn't been done, so I think you're on the right track to just refresh the entire front suspension. Don't forget to replace the spring saddles, idler arm and pitman arm as well. You may need to get the idler and saddles from a Mustang parts supply house, as Rock doesn't show the p/s version, or you can replace the bushings yourself.

Definitely have the steering box rebuilt, this company does the Saginaw 800 boxes that are in our cars. They also do a fast ratio conversion if you want to quicken the steering up.

http://www.powersteering.com

My Mach 1 sat 37 years on dirt so I replace the lowers that I got from NPD. They were Drake and do look exactly like the originals. I had not time to clean up. I got MOOG u- joints and they were made in Mexico so do not expect US made from MOOG. If the tie rods are good you can get new boots at about any parts house cheap.

If you do the upper arms be careful with the coil springs. Most parts houses like Advance will rent you for free the compressor you will need to take the springs out. Not difficult just be safe. The sway bar bushings are usually gone also.

interesting posts. I have a 72 mach1 also and the steering is sloppy, mushy, and unresponsive. thinking of going to a mustang II with power rack n pinion, and lowering the front.

Mustang II swap is really not needed. My steering was extremely bad, to the point of being a safety issue wandering all over the road. I rebuilt the front suspension with all moog parts and boxed in my lower control arms. upgraded to 1" lowering springs, larger front sway bar, KYB shocks and had my steering box rebuilt by powersteering.com and converted to a quick ratio. It now handles pretty damn close to a modern car.

Last edited by a moderator:
interesting posts. I have a 72 mach1 also and the steering is sloppy, mushy, and unresponsive.  thinking of going to a mustang II with power rack n pinion, and lowering the front.

No idea why people think this is the cure-all for a worn out front end. You need to remove the shock towers and dice up the front of the car to make this work. Lots of cutting, measuring and in the end you have a less than optimal front suspension. It's a great option for a street rod, completely unnecessary for a 71-73 unless you're planning a Coyote swap. The towers on these cars were designed to accommodate a Boss 429 in a production environment. 

For around $1000 and some DIY labor,  you can have a completely rebuilt front suspension and steering system.

Mustang II swap is really not needed. My steering was extremely bad, to the point of being a safety issue wandering all over the road. I rebuilt the front suspension with all moog parts and boxed in my lower control arms. upgraded to 1" lowering springs, larger front sway bar, KYB shocks and had my steering box rebuilt by powersteering.com and converted to a quick ratio. It not handles pretty damn close to a modern car.
Pretty much the same here. Fresh parts make all the difference.

thanks for the info, will ponder this , would be a lot less work and money....

Not sure what your expectations are, but when everything is in good working order, the steering is pretty tight for a car of era. My guess would that it would be much easier to go with coil overs vs. A mustang II setup.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mustang II swap is really not needed. My steering was extremely bad, to the point of being a safety issue wandering all over the road. I rebuilt the front suspension with all moog parts and boxed in my lower control arms. upgraded to 1" lowering springs, larger front sway bar, KYB shocks and had my steering box rebuilt by powersteering.com and converted to a quick ratio. It now handles pretty damn close to a modern car.
did you get the shocks and sway bar from moog? I think i'll go this route so I"ll have some $$ to invest in a EFI system, any one know of a good one for a 351 Cleveland?

Back