• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

72 Coupe Roof section, Radiator Support, Steering Wheel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gibson_Junk

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Coupe 351C
1969 Mustang Coupe EMPTY
I am looking for a Roof section, radiator support and steering wheel all in good decent condition.

The roof I am trying to repair is in pictures below just to show you what I am working with. And underneath the bondo and fiberglass is just rusted holes

I am on a budget. Just a US Marine doing this on the weekend because I love old mustangs and wanted a project. And have many bills to pay. I was told 500 bucks for a professional fiberglass job on the roof but rather see if there is any cheaper way

33vyzdi.jpg

73dysj.jpg

i know i just let you know on my thread i dont have a rad support. but i know there are two in the junk yard i go to, not sure of condition but if i get there soon ill let you know and i can cut one off for ya

I appreciate it. And if you could get me the name of the junkyard as well. Just tell me the prices. I need a roof bad lol

Hey, Gibson. First, thank you for your service! Second, please take a moment to introduce yourself here: http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-introductions. You'll get a lot of views and replies, and posting a photo and request for your parts may lead to someone with what you need.

Glad to have you here!

I have a roof I can cut off

I have new core supports - used are usually rusted

Where are you located?

Don

Thank you for your service.

You are right to replace that roof, you might want to gut the interior and see what the floors look like too. Maybe a clean shell would be worth investing in. I know Don65 has a few roller bodies available that look to be in a lot better shape than your coupe.

I would thoroughly go through the car and honestly assess what you will need to replace to get the body up to snuff. If you get to 2500.00 stop adding and start shopping.

I would thoroughly go through the car and honestly assess what you will need to replace to get the body up to snuff. If you get to 2500.00 stop adding and start shopping.

Unless there is a sentimental attachment to that particular car, Jeff is spot on with his advise.

I have a roof I can cut off

I have new core supports - used are usually rusted

Where are you located?

Don
I have found that if Don doesn't have it he will point you to where you need to go. He's a great asset on this sight!

Surprisingly only needs a small section on the floor pans replaced and trunk replaced. How much would a body be? I am on a budget really.

I would bet it had a cracked leaking vinyl top on it at one time.

Shipping a roof to CA from OH would be too expensive.

Look local - craiglist , local ford club, scrap yards

I would NOT get any fiberglass repair done - it will not hold up

That needs a roof section.

Don

Surprisingly only needs a small section on the floor pans replaced and trunk replaced. How much would a body be? I am on a budget really.
All the more reason to seek a car requiring less work. Even if you have the skills to weld in a new roof and quarter panel patches (speaking of which, what's the condition of the inner fenders?), you'll still probably wind up spending more than the cost of a donor coupe shell to fix it.

Swapping everything should take less time than the process of stripping the interior, fixing that roof, painting it, and putting it back together.

I'm not saying it isn't fixable, but it isn't quite worth it to put such effort into an example in this shape. Yet.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Don offered me a fastback shell with a drive train that was pulled and needed rebuilding. It wasn't complete, but it was most of what would be needed to build a car after parts were reconditioned. IIRC it didn't need quarters or a roof and the floor was not perfect, but still serviceable. I am not going to give the number out here, but I'll PM you.

http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/cto/3402790244.html

Here is one that sounds like it might be worth looking at. With all he has, you might be able to sell excess parts off to assist in your build.

If I was not across the country I would at least go look at that one.

Here in Tennessee a clean coupe in similar condition would be under 1500.00 and might even be driveable.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/3328131703.html

http://clarksville.craigslist.org/cto/3280131792.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I had the space to keep all the parts cars I have had.:s I threw this rust free 72 Grande away after parting it out. The 73 coupe I got for 500.00 a little over a year ago on Riverside C.L.. It was 99.9% rust free. There out there just keep looking. I'm always looking my self for 71-73 cars. If you need a hand picking up a roller let me know.

image0-3.jpg

parts car doors 011.jpg

Well I don't have no 3000 buck. You much understand I make 1600 a month.... Military is crap pay when single

I posted this on your introduction site so this is a repeat.

I have a coupe that I will be parting out and if mine isn't clean enough there is one in the junkyard next to the storage yard where mine is stored. I also have an Arizona (desert clean) radiator support and a no frills steering wheel.

1971 Mustang Grande #2.jpg

1971 Mustang Radiator Core.jpg

If that support is still strong and is straight how much you want shipped? And that roof is in AZ? If its better then mine I am interested.

Back