72 dash installation issues

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveK

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Mustang with a 351C engine, FMX automatic transmission, ram air, blue exterior with argent stripes, black interior. Restoration project with my son.
I have run into some alingment issues concerning the dash on my 72 Mach 1. I did a total strip down on the restore which involved completely removing the dash, steering column and all the components. I also replaced the gage cluster to add the tachometer and installed the center gage cluster which it didn't have plus went from a standard interior to a deluxe.

There are a couple of things that just don't seem to want to go back in place correctly. The first is the steering column. The column is offset to one side of the opening in the metal dash enough so I can not get the trim pieces back on. I just can't seem to get the column to move within the slotted mounts to get alignment no matter how much I loosen the bolts. The second thing is I can not get the dash pad and plate to slide back far enough so I can get the screws back in. Right now there is a gap between the back of the dash plate and the windshield so that the defroster vents don't line up. The metal dash plate is original, the (3) retainer clips are replacements and the dash pad is new but supposedly made from the Ford tooling.

I have tried to adjust the two side mounting brackets and the center brackets that hold the cluster but there doesn't appear to be much movement one way or the other.

You all know that it would be a pain to take it all apart again so I am hoping somebody has some things I can check or try so I get the dash aligned properly. Any help would be graeatly appreciated.

For the column make sure you released the C clamp bolt at the base of the steering column behind the brake pedal. you may need to release the 4 bolts through the firewall seal and column base to get freedom to move the base around. you may also need to release the rag joint, if the rubber has hardened if will make it very hard to move the column around. check to make sure the pivots for the rag joint didn't come out of the plate when the column was sitting there without the dash to hold it, the pivots could of shifted out of the joint and are binding preventing you from moving the column to center it.

for the dash top it is a bear to get things to line up the clips might be catching on something, have an assistant push down on the areas of the clips for the dash top to try and get it to seat under the windshield. i bend the arm at the front of the clips down a little to try and help me guide it, i did have to ram it pretty hard to drove it home you could also use a flat head and split the clips open a little and see if that helps.

If i remember i lifted the front of the dash with pad up slightly pressed my hand over the center of the top of the dash, lined it up, pushed it in seeing if the clips would line up then when they did i backed up slightly and then rammed it in. had to check it to make sure all the clips caught. it is a huge pain in the rear.

also you will discover the holes in the metal lip of the reproduction pad for attachment to the instrument panel covers do not line up at all, and the clips that hold the screws from underneath will shift around like crazy and make you insane!

when the dash top is finally seated correctly, dry fit the panels and mark were the screw holes need to be. then drill new holes, next lift the pad area up and installed the snap on C clips then put a piece of tape over them to hold them in place. there is 2 clips per side the center clip on both sides just holds the plastic panel on and is not attached to the pad front. the center 2 screws above the map light area will be totally off, when you drill this area make sure you put a collar on the drill bit to prevent it catching and going right up through the rubber and out the top of the pad ruining your day.

I hate having to get into the dash because of the panel clips and snapping it under the windshield.

Appreciate the advise. I will go looking again. The dash drove me nuts last fall and I had to finally toss in the towel before I went insane! Spring is only a couple a months away so it is time to get back on it!

I had the same problem with the dash pad not covering the defroster vents. I bought a new pad that is OEM and got rid of the repro. pad. It helped a little. I then had to drill out the holes that the dash pad goes into and make them a little bigger. It took a number of times taking it in and out but it finally looks ok.

I have pictures of the exact location of the entire dash frame that I took on my car before we removed the dash..They may help if your windshelid is out..If not then my advice would be to remove the frame and assemble the entire dash OUT of the car..There's lots of adjustment in the brackets that mount the dash frame to the chassis..There's a good chance the frame isn't installed correctly & by doing it the way the factory did (dash installed put together) it's going to be alot easier to get it to go where you want. 100_1706.JPG100_1705.JPG100_1704.JPG100_1703.JPG100_1697.JPG

Back