'72 dash pad removal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 dark green
Have searched but only found a thread on a 73 removal.  That thread mentioned 2 screws seen from looking from outside the windshield into, I assume, the metal part of the dash pad.   I Have the service manual for the '72, it just says remove the obvious 6 screws list and remove.  I know there are a couple of spring clips, I think I heard 1 or more "pop"when I lifted.  But it does not want to PULL forward and I do not want to force it without checking here first.  Am I missing something or should I just lift a bit and PULL that sucker out?

Should just be able to lift the pad and pull back. If the dash pad lifts up then the only thing holding it is the 3 clips. You might have to give it a small yank to get the clips loose. Watch out for the A pillar trim so you don't break it.

I believe the additional two screws are on the 73 only. Yes it is a PITA to get loose, or at least mine was. Thought for sure I was going to break something removing it. I just lifted a bit and pulled toward me and slightly up and it finally popped and I ended up in the back seat as my front seats were out of the car at the time. :)

And I also removed my A-Pillar trim before taking it out as referenced above as that stuff is like gold and brittle as hell.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was able to get the dash pad off, standing on the outside, passenger side I gave it a good pull with my left hand and POP, it came out. I had tried on my knees in the cabin (with no seats) so I guess having my feet firmly planted on the ground, right hand on the car there was enough solid base for my left hand to free it.

Back